advertisement

Art Dudley RIP

Terrible news in a terrible time. Art Dudley and his Listener Magazine and then his writings for Stereophile were touchstones for me and many others. There was something wonderful about Listener in particular, but all his writing was very good. Such sad news. RIP

This is absolutely shocking and devastating news to me. Dudley was my favorite audio writer, bar none, except perhaps Malcolm Steward who is also now departed. There's no one who wrote like he did and he was the absolute best thing that Stereophile had.

RIP, Art. You will be sorely missed. I shall reread your old columns with great sadness.

Art always stood out for his knowledge, enthusiasm and a considered, articulate approach to a subject that so typically attracts the opposite. Very much his own man and a pleasure to read. Sad news that stands apart even in this monstrous tide of losses we are all feeling right now.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I had met Art at the 2014 Munich High-end show while talking to John DeVore in the Sibatone/Western Electric/GIP room. He came across as a really nice guy, not all full of himself like some audio reviewers, but warm and friendly. He will be greatly missed at Stereophile magazine and by all who met him, and all those who enjoyed his articles...

Dear god, that's terrible news.

Mr Dudley always came across in his writing as hugely likeable, with a very dry sense of humour.

Along with his partner in crime Mr Reichert, I think I've said before, I consider them the two best audio writers by a country mile.

I'd happily read either on pretty much any subject simply because great writing is great writing in any sphere.

FWIW this is one of my favourite of his articles.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-173

RIP.

Sad news indeed! I'll miss Art's writing. He was my favorite audio writer and the only one I bothered to follow. Never could get rid of my Listener's. RIP...

Ah, man, what sad news. Art was a great writer and, more importantly, from what I could tell a wonderful human being.

RIP, Art.

Joe

He’s fabulous but do check out Steve Gutenberg, a long time close personal friend of Art’s and a writer for Listener magazine.
Gutenberg has a similar style and reckoned Dudley to be the best writer around. He is sincere and passionate and his grief for the loss of his friend was palpable at the end of the video.I really like him.

Gutenberg has a similar style and reckoned Dudley to be the best writer around. He is sincere and passionate and his grief for the loss of his friend was palpable at the end of the video.I really like him.
Yes, I like Steve a lot. He wasn’t his usual self in today’s video, it was evident he was hurting deeply and I really felt for him. His tribute was kind and heartfelt.

Last edited:
Yes, I like Steve a lot. He wasn’t his used self in today’s video, it was evident he was hurting deeply and I really felt for him. His tribute was kind and heartfelt.

He was very close to tears at the end. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had a cry When the camera stopped. Kudos to him for posting so soon after Art’s death. His point about them doing something that meant neither could take the others call had a message for us all.

He was very close to tears at the end. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had a cry When the camera stopped. Kudos to him for posting so soon after Art’s death. His point about them doing something that meant neither could take the others call had a message for us all.
He posts daily, so I think it’s something he had to do, must have been really hard for him though. He did well, everything was well thought out and very genuine. The bit above them being too busy to take each other’s calls, you could see that he felt a lot of regret over that, that’s where he wobbled. We’ve all definitely been guilty of that. Gutted for him.

Last edited:
many of his columns stuck with me in one way or another, but i always remembered (and loved) how he once touched the audiophile universal in bemoaning a turntable mat that "clung to every record like a cattle rancher to the federal teat". (no, he wasn't reviewing the LP12 at the time.)

here's to a life well-lived.

advertisement

Back