advertisement

Are there any really good Phono Stages that don't cost thousands?

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
Let's say I were to sell my Diablo/NCPSU and add a few hundred to the budget, making it a little above a thousand. It doesn't seem to me there is a great deal at this price range to whet my appetite. I want greater naturalism, dimensionality, texture, and tonal colour, but it seems I need a second mortgage to get these qualities.

The phono stages that seem desirable to me are bloody expensive: - Tron Seven, Aurorasound Viva, Aesthetix Rhea. And there seems to be a gulf in between SS stages like the Trichords and TEs, that are readily available second hand, and these ultra desirable models that are quite out or reach. Even the Icon Audio PS3 is pushing towards £2K now. I can't see much between £1 - 2K.

It's particularly difficult when you want a stage that can cope with a 0.12mV cart.

Here ends my lament. Any recommendations?

Let's say I were to sell my Diablo/NCPSU and add a few hundred to the budget, making it a little above a thousand. It doesn't seem to me there is a great deal at this price range to whet my appetite. I want greater naturalism, dimensionality, texture, and tonal colour, but it seems I need a second mortgage to get these qualities.

The phono stages that seem desirable to me are bloody expensive: - Tron Seven, Aurorasound Viva, Aesthetix Rhea. And there seems to be a gulf in between SS stages like the Trichords and TEs, that are readily available second hand, and these ultra desirable models that are quite out or reach. Even the Icon Audio PS3 is pushing towards £2K now. I can't see much between £1 - 2K.

It's particularly difficult when you want a stage that can cope with a 0.12mV cart.

Here ends my lament. Any recommendations?

Why not give Tom @ Evans a call if only for advice. Plan at least 2-hours and you'll come away all the better for speaking to him.

Regards,
Peter

As an ex TEAD and ICON owner I now use an Arkless. However I'm not sure this is still available.

Why not give Tom @ Evans a call if only for advice. Plan at least 2-hours and you'll come away all the better for speaking to him.

Regards,
Peter

Yes, I've had one or two of those chats! Zappa and rocket science etc.

Like I said though, I'd like to move away from the TE and Trichord style to something a little less forward with a bit more colour and texture.

Yes, I've had one or two of those chats! Zappa and rocket science etc.

Like I said though, I'd like to move away from the TE and Trichord style to something a little less forward with a bit more colour and texture.

I remember trying Sutherland's gear many moons ago (battery powered etc) and very much came to that conclusion.

Peter

There will be a new Tron phono stage out soon that will be in your budget range, plus its a giant killer too and all made in the UK.

It will be announced in the "Trade Announcements" section when officially launched.

There's a lot to be said for taking a bit of a plunge with the phono stage. You don't have to throw them away every 1800 hours for a kick off. Having been a long term Linto/Uphorik/Urika user, all of which were competent, the Vida was shockingly better, and gives the option of both MM and MC inputs. In fact it does really call in to question what the proper hierarchy should be, personally I'm now firmly in the camp of expensive stage/cheaper cartridge, not to say that a great MC is not a terrific experience it'll just put a smile on your face when you discover what something like an Ortofon 2M black can do when it's amplified properly.

P75 mark III is a super product, 'less forward' usually means a little HF roll off so look at something with a valve in it.
Keith.

I opted for an Attwood Concert Stage (I had short listed the Attwood and the DV P75).

I like it very much - although it's not configurable..... fixed loading and gain.

EAR834p. 2nd hand for £500ish, billy bargain. Can be tweaked by some valve rolling to suit, but in its standard form has great imaging, detail, sweet treble, just great all round.
I've used it with a Lyra Dorian & my current ArkivB & sounds all there to my ears. Takes a heck of a lot to beat it for the £1k mark.
Or Maybe a 2nd hand Whest? their website sometimes has good deals on refurb'd models.
Ive heard a Rega phonostage sounding very nice, not sure of the price though.
Matt.

P75 mark III is a super product, 'less forward' usually means a little HF roll off so look at something with a valve in it.
Keith.

+1.

Also the Electrocompaniet ECP1 (very authoritative bass but well balanced) and the Clearaudio Basic Symmetry ("autotunes" to cartridge properties)?

P

The Heed Quasar is well within budget, and worth considering. I preferred it to the dynavector, when I tried them. Quite a ballsy sound, and suited my mainly rock/blues vinyl.

advertisement

Back