advertisement

Are there any really good Phono Stages that don't cost thousands?

I think compensating for the 3K to 10k region droop of a dB or so that MMs are prone to. I just measured my G1022 and see this with a strong 6dB pesk at 16kHz

What you need is a good, clean, quiet stage with fundamentally accurate RIAA, like the £140 Cambridge C651P, and an equaliser.
Not only can you then partially correct for tonal inaccuracy in the cartridge but you can dial in the additional air, warmth, weight etc that everyone gets excited about when they spend £5k on a phono stage.

Or you can buy an expensive 'fixed' box, hope that it was was designed by a competent engineer and lump up.

Nearly all discussion around 'the best' when it comes to phono stages is centred on which response inaccuracy floats your subjective boat. Unlike other amplifiers which are nominally flat in response, RIAA stages always have some degree of error which is usually audible.
That's great and I'm all for it, but there are far better/easier ways to do things than swapping one mans box of inaccurate for another

The other elephant in the room is loading, especially with MM class cartridges.
This usually receives no attention, and the standard values on many stages are patently wrong for many of the cartridges people will use, causing and compounding error even further.
To give you an example, I'd wager over 80% of AT and Ortofon MM/IM users out there have far too much capacitance on the their cartridges, causing early peaking and premature roll-off.

I have fairly low capacitance on my G1022, having removed the cable capacitors fitted by SME and using only 100pF on my preamp input

Robert, what is your take on the Arkless heavily modified Cambridge phono? I use one and in the past have had both the TEAD microgroove plus and the Icon job. I just don't think about it- it does the job.

The volume control of the Icon allowed me to swap out a Naim 52 and improve the sound quality. In the end the valve smooth thing just irritated me too much.

If I was to swap again it would be to drop the pre and use a Brinkman Fein but I can't be bothered.

What you need is a good, clean, quiet stage with fundamentally accurate RIAA, like the £140 Cambridge C651P, and an equaliser.

Robert, this is rather doubtful advice yet again, because the Cambridge is not what I, at least, would call "good, clean, quiet".

As we learnt from last year, taking the 'so-called-objectivist' bait is a sure way of killing a thread. If we can keep on track exploring our experience of mid-price phono stages, that would be more fruitful.

NAIM Prefix.

Superb value and you don't have to own an LP12!

Heard it against a Superline and Uphorik, it was better.

NAIM Prefix.

Superb value and you don't have to own an LP12!

Heard it against a Superline and Uphorik, it was better.

You do know that the 32x,52x and prefix are all essentially the same circuit?

I get the impression that Robert hasn't actually heard a good phono stage as the difference is not subtle. Its a smack in the gob difference. The Naim circuit especially the plug in boards are good value for the money especially when powered by a good external power supply. But move up the ladder to a dedicated phono stage and the improvement is enormous but so is the price differential.

Cheers,

DV

Robert, what is your take on the Arkless heavily modified Cambridge phono? I use one and in the past have had both the TEAD microgroove plus and the Icon job. I just don't think about it- it does the job.

The volume control of the Icon allowed me to swap out a Naim 52 and improve the sound quality. In the end the valve smooth thing just irritated me too much.

If I was to swap again it would be to drop the pre and use a Brinkman Fein but I can't be bothered.

My understanding is that the phono stage bits are entirely Jez's design. The only thing left is the case and some of the power supply bits. However Jez seems to have gone in hiding for some reason so we may not see many more?

Cheers,

DV

The last few comments highlight why context is so important. It may be tedious but when someone says some cheap kit is great we need to know what else you have heard in similar conditions.
If you prefer something that costs a quarter or a tenth of some established references that is interesting but please state what you are comparing to. and preferably mention some music that you were listening to. Oh yeah and state the rest of your system too.
ie if you bought a Hyundai car and say the handling is the best we need to know if you are comparing it to a Lotus or a bus ...

I had Trichord Delphini some years ago, I now have my John Wood Pre with built in Phono Stage , it all sounds much better to me than anything I have ever had before, inc. Naim , M/F but that's just my opinion.

I have just received my Teddy Phono. Only played the first few records but so far it is stunningly good.

Do tell us more about the Teddy and what you've compared it with. I'd very much like to hear it.

Also, Ross, what cartridge are you using it with?

I've heard the Teddy Pardo, and would describe it as "OK", but definitely not "stunningly good". This was in comparison with my Whest.

advertisement

Back