advertisement

AR Sound

What about a tranny, with a 3.5mm mini-jack plug to 5-pin DIN socket adaptor? (Have I identified a real niche market here? I'll have to whip out my soldering iron!)

hi guys

pulling up this thread again with he obvious and evil question: has anyone compared green or yellow against a Flashback Performance?

regards and greetings:
+christian

hi guys

pulling up this thread again with he obvious and evil question: has anyone compared green or yellow against a Flashback Performance?

regards and greetings:
+christian

or a simple rundown on differences / improvments / downsides between the following.

Lavender
HiLine
Green
Yellow
Skylink

I know it is in the above 20 pages, but a nice summary by one person that has experence with all calble would be a bit easier than trying to get a sense based upon various people with various cable configs.

I am accross the pond and am thinking of a couple of cables....

One for my CD and one lower line for my Tuner

System is

Naim 72 with Neils boards
Teddy-CappIII+ ( powers 72 and Headline )
Naim CDX-2
Teddy XPS
Naim 05 tuner
Naim 135's
Totem Mani-2
Lavender cables
Naca 5
stock 4 pin from PS to amps.
Teddy's cable (made from wire from AVI ) betwen pre and powersupply.

Thoughts?

michael

I know it is in the above 20 pages, but a nice summary by one person that has experence with all calble would be a bit easier than trying to get a sense based upon various people with various cable configs.

michael

Got to say this made me smile. I very much doubt if there is a person on this planet who has heard, let alone compared, all these cables. If this person exists then he (it won't be a she) should get out more...!

For me Lavender was OK, Green 2 was a big step up and a no brainer and the SkyLink was more refined with more information, bass and detail over the Green but was a touch more laid back. I know, I should get out more...

CDS3 > NAC 552

Lavender:
Lets use this as a base line!

HiLine:
Not for me, it subdued the high frequency like a high cut filter, I tried two, they were different but both reduced the high frequency. Overall not as good as the lavender.

Green:
Excellent, improved hight frequency extension and tightened up the base. Better than lavender and still in my system after over a year.

Yellow:
Not tried

Skylink:
Not a bad cable, very like lavender but not as good as green.

Oooh, cat among the pigeons time!

LOL, 1m of cables at dawn....

All I know is that I liked the idea of trying the Naim Hiline, but at over £500 (!!!!!) I thought they might be taking the piss. I tried the AR Green 2 on a return and money back if it didn't work out basis and it blew me away, I mean really blew me away. I think the Yellow is the closest thing to the Green 2 at the moment and at ( I think) £88 it's very, very good value for money.

I'm sure there might be other cables out there at diferent price points and doing diferent things but for me the AR floated my boat and now I just play a lot more music and forget about it. :)

Against the lavender-

Yellow:- Tighter bass, better instrument separation, made the Naim lead sound congested and unorderly. Lighter balance than the SkyLink.

SkyLink:- Very sophisticated similar to Yellow, more of the same. Sweeter than the cheaper AR lead, bass is more extended and fuller (could be a good tonic for a leaner sounding system)- All things being equal worth the difference in price for the right system.

Both AR cables managed to have a calming effect on the overall sound (and by 'calming' I don't mean any sacrificing of Naim excitement or 'prat', they just enhanced everything).
I currently use the SkyLink from my CD player to amp but the richness of the lead necessitated that I moved my speakers out by an inch or two from the wall.....It now sounds wonderful.

I think they are replacement interconnects.

Blackpine, the basic Flashback cable I think is better than the grey snaic and inside £30!

I currently have all Naim leads in and a Powerline, which is nice....

Gauis,

The Flashback is great finishing (thru the picture) and great price too. I don't know what am I thinking and have not start buying!! Propably focus on other area.

Sorry to slot in, short Q anyway. I have no idea about Naim Lavender. What is that??? Cheap too?

The lavender (a confusing name as it is grey in colour, not lavender) is the basic interconnect.

If money is tight (as it is for all of us), I would buy a second-hand black Snaic and sell your grey one.

The lavender (a confusing name as it is grey in colour, not lavender) is the basic interconnect.

If money is tight (as it is for all of us), I would buy a second-hand black Snaic and sell your grey one.

Indeed confusing (lavender). Thanks for clarify this. Yeh second 4 pin black Snaic selling quite expensive though but plenty of 5 Pin black Snaic around (which I'd one came with purchasing my Pre and Hicap). I am also planing for source input cable. We'd got Chord, flashback, Naim lavender, some Kimber in Ebay, and AR. :confused:

Since I never meet a (lavender) selling around, can I use 4 pin grey snaic to diy?

advertisement

Back