advertisement

AR Sound

FlashBackSales SNAIC is probably as good as any & is next day delivery
Better than the old grey Naim thats for sure

from Mick

Chaps

I once met Mark Tucker when I was daft enough to attend a hifi show. I spent a couple of hours with him in the bar shifting whisky and beer. For those of you who do not know, Mark used to work at Naim in a senior managerial capacity.

Mark never objected to a competitors products being advertised or commented about on the Naim forum because as he said, in nearly every case, the Naim equivalent was better and it was always useful to know what Naim fans think of the competition, be it good or bad.

If you allow unrestricted comments on your own forum, it demonstrates confidence in your own product.

Regards

Mick

Mick I totally agree, i had comments removed, the email reply started with "look sweetie" i didn't read the rest!

The difference IMO is that the Naim forum will just ban anything not in line with what they want, part of me thinks ok so what, the other part of me think BS.

Like Bob I started my now Naim system with Radford HiFi in Bristol over 25 years ago, although not very well, I did know and meet JV on many occasions, the difference then was a kind confidence or even arrogance in a positive way, he'd say when mentioning another product "yeh bring it down I bet it sounds crap" or "yeh try it if you want we reckon ours is miles better"

Unfortunately for me at least, they are a different company now, its bit like a Mercedes forum banning someone because they find someone else's wheels better than stock

Martin

Seems flashback has some vote here. Which one you guys are referring to? The black color, or the Orange color (premier type)?

They don't show it on the site - but if you ask them....

I should add that I have not heard any of the AR cables, so my comments regarding the Premier are in comparison to the standard Naim cables.

In terms of price, what else more to say. Great sharing mate!! Anyway, do I have perform any mode if I want to connect my Pre signal direct to the power then Hicap?

No, but you do need slightly different leads.

However, if you read the link I posted - you will see that I significantly preferred the standard wiring method (actually, thinking about it, most of that may have been written in a different thread).

Hey hey hey,,,,, David is super fast to response me. What else to ask for... Indeed he don't have Snaic 5 power with signal on Premiere cable. If using standard method so I need a Snaic 4 replacement and a source cable only.

Correct me if I am wrong. Nac to Hicap with no signal - cut the signal. Then the Snaic 4 cut the power. All according to the label behind the amps. Aha.....

I would run a 5pin Snaic from your pre-amp to your Hi-Cap and a four pin from the Hi-Cap to the power amp.

I would not do as you are suggesting.

I would run a 5pin Snaik from your pre-amp to your Hi-Cap and a four pin from the Hi-Cap to the power amp.

I would not do as you are suggesting.

Yes I would agree with that.

Blackpine, stay with the Naim configuration ;)

SP snaic

I do agree to both of you. I'd tried Nac to Nap. Totally not to my ears...I believe even if Hicap only powering the Pre it will not sound much difference too to unsensitive ears. Besides, I want the Hicap to works more then a power supply.

I'm sorry Blackpine, I don't understand. What you have written in you last post seems to contradict what you wrote in post #331.

"I want the Hicap to works more then a power supply", sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I do agree to both of you. I'd tried Nac to Nap. Totally not to my ears...I believe even if Hicap only powering the Pre it will not sound much difference too to unsensitive ears. Besides, I want the Hicap to works more then a power supply.

Hi Blackpine,

My experience with the "direct connection" between the NAC and the NAP (while the Hi-Cap deliver only power) is that the resolution seems to be better (clearness, better dynamic range and better focused sound stage)
But on the other hand there seem to be some drawback with the timing and also the tonal balance tends too much to the bright side. The preferred connection method depends (as usual) on personal preference (this reminds me the old argument of flat world VS "round world" character).

Technically there are also some benefit and drawbacks for each method:
Naim connection schema use the Hi-cap ground as a reference point (the main reference star ground in Naim gear is the Hi-Cap ground, not the NAC or the NAP ground). when the Nac connected directly to the NAP the star ground principle is broken, On the other hand the direct connection, using one interconnect instead of series of two (for delivering the signal) is better and also usually tend to increase clearance and details- But IMO keeping the correct ground schema is more important and it's also sounds better to most of the listeners (including me).

The GreenLink 5 deliver both signal and power, keeping the original basic ground schema- but takes it a farther step forward: while delivering signal and power separately with two Green cables, the cable delivers the signal use a pseudo-balanced configuration so noise is drained to the power-supply star reference ground. I found it to be the best way to deal this fragile connection between the Nac to Hi-Cap. BTW There is now also a new level (and sonic performance) for this connection- the Lunar 5 cable. IMO it's contribute to sonic aspects even more then the source interconnect and this also shows the importance of the cable used to connect the pre-amp to the external power supply (after all it's a chain..) I hope this information helps clear the fog in this issue.

You can also have a look at this interesting thread for more info:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81571&highlight=SkyLink

Avi

My experience with the "direct connection" between the NAC and the NAP (while the Hi-Cap deliver only power) is that the resolution seems to be better (clearness, better dynamic range and better focused sound stage)
But on the other hand there seem to be some drawback with the timing and also the tonal balance tends too much to the bright side. The preferred connection method depends (as usual) on personal preference (this reminds me the old argument of flat world VS "round world" character).

The above does not correlate with my experience. I didn't experience any change with regard to tonal balance with either connection method and the dynamic and focus were better when routed via the Hi-Cap.

System : CDX with Teddy XPS to NAC102 to Ixo to 2 x NAP140 to Credo

Have been dissapointed with the CDX, even with the Teddy XPS, since I bought it. Had a 3.5 before that and whilst the CDX has many great aspects it always seems a bit bright and cluttered when the music got difficult. All the time I have used a Naim Lavender/Grey cable between the CD and NAC.

Have been lent a AR Sound Yellow (thansk Bill) and prefer it - in places. Top end is clearer with no loss of bottom end. Vocals are better defined (could make out the words better !) and cymbols etc sound more detailed. But the cluttered aspect is still there when the music gets difficult and I would really like to sort this aspect out.

Having hear the difference with the Yellow I do now get the impression that there is a 'cable for me' out there but not really found a recommendation in this or similar threads.

Any suggestions ?

CHE

CHE, I’m not sure that a cable will change the way that you feel about your CDX. If a TeddyXPS and AR Yellow don’t tip the balance in favour of the CDX, then I fear no cable will.

A friend of mine moved from Teddy XPS on his CDX to Naim XPS and much prefers it, I think it sounds like a very nice CDP.

I do think Bob may be right, do you feel this about your system through other sources or is it just CD replay?

CDX = bright (even more bright if set up wrongly)
102 = bright

CDX/102 = bright bright system

CDX/102+small room+untreated room = bright bright bright system

Actually I had similar system before. I went up to CDX/82/hicap/180 and it still sound bright. It still sound bright even at CDX/XPS/82/supercap/250. The sound mellow down a lot after I switch the 82 to a 52. That was what I experienced in the past. Not sure if I am correct. :)

Btw, I used to put my CDX on a base isolation platform which in turn sits on a mdf. The whole thing is then carefully leveled.

advertisement

Back