advertisement

Apple Watch owner’s opinions

I'm a reasonably healthy & active 56 year old, who lives on his own. I've considered getting one partly for the "fall alarm" thing. Someone on another forum I'm a member of is about the same age as me & had a massive stroke earlier this year, he wasn't found for several days which will have had major implications for his recovery. The fall alarm or the ability to call for help from a gadget on the wrist could be a lifesaver. As it is I'm very careful to have my phone in a pocket whenever I go up into my loft, just in case I fall or put my foot through the ceiling.

I’ve succumbed

20230-C3-D-981-C-4-F7-A-B93-F-3-DA735386-C1-D.jpg

.sjb

I'm a reasonably healthy & active 56 year old, who lives on his own. I've considered getting one partly for the "fall alarm" thing. Someone on another forum I'm a member of is about the same age as me & had a massive stroke earlier this year, he wasn't found for several days which will have had major implications for his recovery. The fall alarm or the ability to call for help from a gadget on the wrist could be a lifesaver. As it is I'm very careful to have my phone in a pocket whenever I go up into my loft, just in case I fall or put my foot through the ceiling.
The Anti Putting Your Foot Through The Ceiling app is a bit rubbish though. Completely failed to stop me making a big hole in the plasterboard last time I was in the loft

Last edited:
Don’t think I could get away with wearing a watch that big with my skinny wrists. What tilted you to the 7 over the SE?

To be honest I didn’t really look at the SE. Sadly this is probably a “newest, biggest? type of purchase.
.sjb

Hi,
Digging up an old thread.
I’m contemplating buying an iWatch (41 mm), now that the silly black screen has gone.
I don’t need anything posh, exit the stupidly priced Hermès stuff, but I do want a real metal bracelet – not the rip-off Apple one obviously.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Get a metal bracelet from Amazon, dirt cheap and quite a bit classier rather than the rubber thing

Yeahbut - I have bought some Amazon 'metal' straps for my wife, colour matched to her Apple Watch. Look good for a short time (several weeks/ very few months) and the colour drifts off somewhere and no longer matches.....

Moral - you still largely get what you pay for in life...

As always. But then Amazon’s Chinese bracelet is only € 30. Apple’s Chinese made bracelet is € 300 ;)
What about the watch itself?

Nearly bought one several times but the manufacturers could not/would not tell me truthfully that they would not give all my data to the US govt, if asked. In fact all the US owned companies said that they have a listing in their T+Cs telling customers that they will supply the US govt with personal data, in fact all data, if requested.
Did like the fitbit series but they were totally unabashed when they told me that they supported the fight against terrorism and if that meant invading MY privacy, then so be it. Not paranoid but ah don't even use the GPS on mp iPad or my bike GPS... Ah can read a map...:cool:

sjb, 7 months on, transformational product or pricey digital watch?

I wonder this also. I see apple watches everywhere and I can't figure out what people really use them for, but I'd be the first to admit that my iphone (any decent smart phone) is a transformational product, so perhaps I'm missing out ? (I train and compete in triathlons, and almost all of my training buddies have Garmin watches, but, again, other than strava bragging rights I don't really see the need).

I wonder this also. I see apple watches everywhere and I can't figure out what people really use them for, but I'd be the first to admit that my iphone (any decent smart phone) is a transformational product, so perhaps I'm missing out ? (I train and compete in triathlons, and almost all of my training buddies have Garmin watches, but, again, other than strava bragging rights I don't really see the need).
It's one of those products that you look at and think "why would I need one of those" until you get one. It comes even more into its own in an all Apple system, when I walk into the Office and sit down the watch unlocks my computer automatically. I'm not fussed about the Privacy, just being online these days you've handed over a fair degree of your info, just being on pfm even. Links up my calendar/emails/texts/takes calls - reminds me to take meds, keeps a track of my walking, controls my HiFi streaming, shows a pic from my Ring cams when someone is at the door etc etc etc

Hi,
Digging up an old thread.
I’m contemplating buying an iWatch (41 mm), now that the silly black screen has gone.
I don’t need anything posh, exit the stupidly priced Hermès stuff, but I do want a real metal bracelet – not the rip-off Apple one obviously.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Search eBay for Milanese loop. There’s only one factory in the world that produces the mesh used AFAIK, so they should be identical to the official version.

Yeahbut - I have bought some Amazon 'metal' straps for my wife, colour matched to her Apple Watch. Look good for a short time (several weeks/ very few months) and the colour drifts off somewhere and no longer matches.....

Moral - you still largely get what you pay for in life...
See my post above. I have a black stainless watch, bought a Milanese loop on ebay which I’ve been using for several years and it’s still fine. Didn’t go for the really cheap ones, think I paid about 25 quid.

advertisement

Back