advertisement

Apple Watch owner’s opinions

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
I’m considering buying myself a present Apple Watch predominantly for its health monitoring potential.
Part of me thinks this could be useful whereas another part of me thinks it could turn me into a hypochondriac.

What do current iwatch users is think?

and apart from health monitoring what would I (and do you) use the watch for (apart from telling time!)?

Thanks

John.

.sjb

Loads of useful stuff gonna depend on the individual obvs.

One thing I find dead handy, getting a pin for logon or bank and not having to trawl through a lappy bag or jacket.

Alarms for pills.

Getting a call when you're on the porcelain :) assuming you’re and iPhone bod too.

Health stuff a plenty but not used much cos a slow walk is about my limit these days.

ATB
Gus

I just bought my wife one ( through the classifieds on here) to see if she would use one. She absolutely loves it and the thing does so much more than I though you could get onto a wrist. Right clever and useful things they are….

I received one for my 50th recently, think it is great. The health side is excellent, monitors heart rate, encourages you to move & even has mindfulness exercises. It can also be used to control Spotify etc.

I am pretty active & find the heart rate info particularly useful in understanding my fitness levels.

Getting a decent strap that looks any good for more than a month is the only problem….

Nope. Got myself a metallic black ( to match the watch) “Rolex style” band from eBay for about fifteen squid. It’s lasted eighteen months and still looks pretty good.

I can use my series 4 to control music on my iPod when out walking, and even make phone calls on it - as I did just this morning when the vet phoned about one of the cats (Marble) in the middle of us giving Zebby his daily meds!

one word of warning - do not use the arm you’re wearing it on to swat moths….. “It looks like you’ve had a fall” “Did you have a fall?” “If you do not respond within five seconds, I will assume that you have had a fall and move to Defcon Five, and dial 999” etc….

I find mine very useful. It was more pricey, but I bought the black stainless steel version, much more robust than the aluminium one. Its handy for contactless payment, and I also find the haptic feedback whilst using google maps when driving very handy, the watch vibrates for every turn. Also handy to take hands free calls whilst driving. Fitness apps and heart monitor are also very useful.

Nope. Got myself a metallic black ( to match the watch) “Rolex style” band from eBay for about fifteen squid. It’s lasted eighteen months and still looks pretty good.

I can use my series 4 to control music on my iPod when out walking, and even make phone calls on it - as I did just this morning when the vet phoned about one of the cats (Marble) in the middle of us giving Zebby his daily meds!

one word of warning - do not use the arm you’re wearing it on to swat moths….. “It looks like you’ve had a fall” “Did you have a fall?” “If you do not respond within five seconds, I will assume that you have had a fall and move to Defcon Five, and dial 999” etc….

I got one of the magnetic micro steel mesh straps on ebay for 30 quid. Given there is only one factory in the world makes this mesh, it’s the identical item that Apple will sell you for several hundred. Been on my wrist for a couple of years and still looks good as new.

As a self-confessed Apple fan-boy, this is one product I have not yet been swayed into buying. My main reservation is the regularly with which it needs to be charged. I understand it needs topping up daily. If done overnight, then sleep monitoring is off the menu.

Instead, I have been using Fitbit. Granted, it is nowhere as sophisticated as the iWatch, but functionally it does all I want it to. The Charge 4 notifies me when I get a call on my iPhone, shows me text messages, and tracks my HR, sleep, activities, distance walked and steps taken. The best part is I need to charge the Fitbit only once every five or six days.

Reactions: TLS
I’ve got a Garmin Fenix 6X, the Sapphire version. Absolutely bulletproof and the battery lasts 15 days with the way I have it set up. Highly recommended.

As a self-confessed Apple fan-boy, this is one product I have not yet been swayed into buying. My main reservation is the regularly with which it needs to be charged. I understand it needs topping up daily. If done overnight, then sleep monitoring is off the menu.

Instead, I have been using Fitbit. Granted, it is nowhere as sophisticated as the iWatch, but functionally it does all I want it to. The Charge 4 notifies me when I get a call on my iPhone, shows me text messages, and tracks my HR, sleep, activities, distance walked and steps taken. The best part is I need to charge the Fitbit only once every five or six days.

You don't an Apple Watch but you should get one for all the above comments on it's usefulness. I'm on my 2nd one (series 4) and they're great bits of kit. I even use to tell the time. ;-)

I got one to track and encourage me to do exercise. It works - there’s a pleasing bit of positive feedback when you close all 3 rings (ie hit your targets for movement, exercise etc) for the day. And if you’re nearly there in the evening it’ll prompt and tell you what you need to do to get there. Might seem childish or manipulative, but it does do the trick at least some of the time. Nudges rather than nagging.

I charge it daily, but it takes about half an hour tops, so is no impediment to sleep tracking - I put it on charge when I first get into bed and by the time I’m done having a bit of a pre-sleep browse on my phone and I’m ready to doze off it’s charged. Either that or when the alarm in the morning goes off I stick it on charge, and it’s sufficiently topped up by the time I’ve come round enough to get up.

Other things I use it for - I have it set to show the likelihood of imminent rain (and it’s fairly accurate IME) so have a glance before leaving the house.

I also have a shortcut to set timers on the standard face, as I use them for various things.

Checking what song’s playing or changing the volume in the HomePod mini I use for background while working.

Monitoring ambient volume level (I have tinnitus so want to know if it’s loud enough to need to pop earplugs in even when I’m several drinks in at a hostelry).

Very handy for paying for things via contactless - just a double tap on the side button and a quick waft - don’t even need to put your hand in your pocket.

I also use the voice features (I have it set so that it only listens if I tell it to by pressing the crown) to update my shopping list - if your hands aren’t free and/or you’re likely to forget, it’s handy to be able to quickly tell it to add something to the list while it’s still on your mind.

It also means I can unlock my phone while wearing a mask - handy since I upgraded from an 8+ to a model with faceid.

There’s a million things you can do with them. I can’t imagine there’s anyone who does everything they’re capable of, but they’re capable of so much that I’m sure lots of people could get use out of one.

Mine will last 3 days at a pinch, but 2 days is easily comfortable (30-40% remaining charge). You put it on overnight, which means you miss out on sleep analysis of your fitbit. After a month I didn't miss it. Handy for Spotify, verbally setting up reminders, notes alarms, etc. When sailing I use a dedicated app for speed/nav tracking etc. Very useful.

As a self-confessed Apple fan-boy, this is one product I have not yet been swayed into buying. My main reservation is the regularly with which it needs to be charged. I understand it needs topping up daily.

I have the SE and it will last 3 days without a charge. This is ensuring I don't leave loads of apps open, but I am careful not to. It will charge in under an hour so isn't inhibitive.

I have two Nike bands and they both look like new, despite constant wear and exercise. I love that I don't need a wallet, or even my phone, to pay for things. Plus, it has a walkie talkie. What's not to like?

advertisement

Back