advertisement

Apple Watch owner’s opinions

How does your Apple watch function as a phone if your phone is not in the same location as you and your watch is?

Does the watch have it's own sim card?

Am I alone in thinking it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?
If my phone bleeps with a message/WhatsApp etc I get the phone out the pocket
Exactly. I don't use WhatsThatApp - WhatFor? Only Messages. No ugly iWatch then. ;)
But then again, I wouldn't say no if someone offered me one - it's the only Apple device I don't have. Yet? Nah. :p

Am I alone in thinking it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?
If my phone bleeps with a message/WhatsApp etc I get the phone out the pocket

Not alone, seems a waste of money when a small phone in the pocket is all that is needed.

When I am out in the hills unless it is a lovely summers day, very seldom happens, it is usually cold or windy or both and the chance of hearing a watch or a phone are small, and even if it vibrates I still might not feel it.

Have you tried talking or typing a message to someone while out in the hills if it is windy or raining, you keep hearing a voice on the other end of the phone saying, I cannot hear you for the wind and trying to type or getting Siri to make up your message is a complete waste of time.

Will use my Swatch, at least I can read that without needing glasses.

Unless it is urgent, they will always call back if it is, I will wait until I get home.

It might sound a great idea, however not for my needs it would appear.

Back in 2009 when I bought my first iPhone (3GS) one of the guys at work wanted to know what the fuss was all about. He was a boring old git, but I took the time to show him the apps I had downloaded and quickly showed him how they worked, what they could do.

A few months later, he cornered me and told me that he’d bought an iPhone and… he couldn’t see the point of it. It turned out that he’d downloaded the same apps that I’d shown him! Once I showed him apps that might be of interest and use to him, he never looked back.

So, to those who can’t see the point, don’t base that view on what other people use their AW for. These gadgets become ‘your’ gadget, your tool, your indispensable little toy.

While I agree with what you say Tony I hardy use my phone for anything other than making calls, the apps I have I use mainly on my iPad, they are often difficult to use on my iPhone so I suspect would just be too small on a watch.

But each to their own as they say, I like Apple products, but a watch is maybe just not useful to me.

Not alone, seems a waste of money when a small phone in the pocket is all that is needed.

When I am out in the hills unless it is a lovely summers day, very seldom happens, it is usually cold or windy or both and the chance of hearing a watch or a phone are small, and even if it vibrates I still might not feel it.

Have you tried talking or typing a message to someone while out in the hills if it is windy or raining, you keep hearing a voice on the other end of the phone saying, I cannot hear you for the wind and trying to type or getting Siri to make up your message is a complete waste of time.

Will use my Swatch, at least I can read that without needing glasses.

Unless it is urgent, they will always call back if it is, I will wait until I get home.

It might sound a great idea, however not for my needs it would appear.
I’d agree before I got one, but for walking Viewranger puts the map, and your position on it, on your wrist rather than in your pocket.
A small advantage it would seem but so much easier in practice.

Back in 2009 when I bought my first iPhone (3GS) one of the guys at work wanted to know what the fuss was all about. He was a boring old git, but I took the time to show him the apps I had downloaded and quickly showed him how they worked, what they could do.

A few months later, he cornered me and told me that he’d bought an iPhone and… he couldn’t see the point of it. It turned out that he’d downloaded the same apps that I’d shown him! Once I showed him apps that might be of interest and use to him, he never looked back.

So, to those who can’t see the point, don’t base that view on what other people use their AW for. These gadgets become ‘your’ gadget, your tool, your indispensable little toy.
This is the point. If you want to use it, you will. If you are determined not to, you won't. My dad, hardly a gadget fiend, bought one and loves it. I use it to get him on the phone before my mother monopolises it. Honestly, she's in her late 70s and she can outpace Usain Bolt if there's a phone ringing. It also rings if he has a fall, he did recently trip over at the allotment and narrowly avoided being hurt. He's on his own there. He was lying in a heap and doing a limb check before trying to get up, the watch had clocked it and was checking he was OK. If he doesn't press the "I'm OK" button it rings a series of numbers and alerts them. Gives location too. My mother finds this reassuring when he's out and about on his own.

Forgot about the falls detector on the watch, very useful having slipped a couple of times while out, that might change my mind, having said that when I did get my phone out there was no coverage.

I checked out on an earlier thread a falls detector watch but gave up when two emails and a phone call to the company were not answered.

At least the Apple watch you set up yourself I assume.

I’d agree before I got one, but for walking Viewranger puts the map, and your position on it, on your wrist rather than in your pocket.
A small advantage it would seem but so much easier in practice.
That same feature is also useful navigating when you are walking in a city. Otherwise you have to hold your phone in front of you, eyes downcast, a tempting and easy offering for any passing scallywag.

Liking the way the AW unlocks my Mac laptops from sleep, controls the Philips Hue lights in the house, controls volume & speaker collection on the 4 Homepods dotted around the house. There are too many things the AW can do. It's WAY more than just a watch. I wouldn't be without one now. The only thing it doesn't do is gain in value like a Rolex. Can't have everything though.

I love my smart watches...

Alexncasio.jpg

I was thinking of getting the AW SE. A little worried it’s going to nag me to move all the time and tell me I have a bad “sleep score”

I was thinking of getting the AW SE. A little worried it’s going to nag me to move all the time and tell me I have a bad “sleep score”

Just switch those notifications off.

I got mine mostly because of the flawless health / fitness aspect, but as mentioned above, it does a great deal more for me now and I wouldn't be without it. Will never be in the position where I can't pay for something because I've "left my bank card at home", it locates my phone, and lets me have fun using the walkie talkie function with my daughter amongst a myriad other things.

I need to get to grips with the new focus feature of iOS. It may be a better way to prevent all my apple devices pinging in unison, which is quite annoying. I’ve had to switch off sound / banners on most notifications because if this, which defeats the purpose but actually is way better in terms of tech being so intrusive. I expect the AW could manage things to funnel only key notifications to my wrist via the focus feature.

advertisement

Back