advertisement

Anyone using a Khozmo passive pre amp?

Rather than start a new thread ... I recently got the stereo (non remote) Khozmo with Takman Rex and Z foils and it is simply stunning in my system. The only worry I had in advance would be a lack of dynamic contrast - er, no.

I got a Tisbury to see how a passive would work, it did but nice as it is, it’s relegated, dropped through all four divisions. If the switches fail they’ll be replaced, the guts, the Khozmo attenuator, works splendidly. I’m listening to the Tingvall trio ‘In Concert’ now and it’s about the best I’ve heard it. YMMV I guess.

Good passive preamps are superb in the right system! I’m currently listening to my Audio Synthesis ProPassion, the really minimalist dual-mono single input job, between my SACD player and Leak Stereo 20 and I can’t imagine anything could beat it. Certainly not anything that didn’t cost an absolute fortune. No shortage of dynamics, weight etc and a wonderfully big open and natural soundstage. A wonderful little thing.

Tony, I spoke to Audio Synthesis and they were really helpful, basically saying that if it works in your system ANY passive will beat any active unless Nagra money is involved. I guess they would, but my Graham Fowler designed Michell Orca is no slouch, until now. I just missed a Passion 8 on eBay so got the Khozmo.

Good passive preamps are superb in the right system! I’m currently listening to my Audio Synthesis ProPassion, the really minimalist dual-mono single input job, between my SACD player and Leak Stereo 20 and I can’t imagine anything could beat it. Certainly not anything that didn’t cost an absolute fortune. No shortage of dynamics, weight etc and a wonderfully big open and natural soundstage. A wonderful little thing.

had a mfa baby reference once and it was just like that

Tony, I spoke to Audio Synthesis and they were really helpful, basically saying that if it works in your system ANY passive will beat any active unless Nagra money is involved. I guess they would, but my Graham Fowler designed Michell Orca is no slouch, until now. I just missed a Passion 8 on eBay so got the Khozmo.

I've been saying that for years...

No, but given there's an active stage in the Saga, and remote control, the volume pot is unlikely to be close to the quality of the stepped attenuator in the Khozmo passive pre, which is £150 before you put it in a box, with sockets and a switchs, etc. So, either it's a phenomenal performer, and a real lurker, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that is true. That said, there's not that much talk of the Khozmos either.

There seemed to be a few early supply issues, Arek, a nice guy to deal with, was ill for a while. I don’t know if he still makes them on his own but he did. 6 Loons wasn’t quite as effusive as usual (not sure of Khozmo’s marketing budget).

I can say the Khozmo works very well here. It lets you know exactly what is going on up and down stream which is all you should really ask of a preamp IMO.

As for Schiit, they seem to make good, clever and well priced stuff. It’s the cutesy reverse marketing and endless schiit jokes that wear a bit thin.

Hi Peter - I'm no expert in these devices but there's a lot going for the Schiit (love that name) and I'm thinking of trying one.
Here's an extract from their site : 'Saga uses a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion. You can hear it clicking as you turn the volume up and down'. Also, you can switch the tube off and go passive - its probably more of a buffer than true active stage as there is no gain. Anyway I'll leave it to those who understand this stuff to comment further

I've had a Khozmo for more than a year, and its used most evenings - there has been no problem with the selector yet. I paid a little extra for the z foil option.
To put it's sound in context, it is easily superior to an Alps Blue pot-in-a-box which was my previous pre. It is also superior to non passive pre's I also own, or is for the things I value - clarity, openeness and moments of "in the room". It is, however not as good as a homemade passive I have using Silver S&B Tx102 silver transformers, which is smoother, clearer, more dynamic and less constrained on peaks.But considering each S&B traffo cost rather more than the Khozmo, that's to be expected.

I'll just say that construction, ergonomics and fit and finish of the Khozmo is excellent and these pre's are stupidly good value. I'll also mention Arek (owner) is helpful and knowledgeable and great to deal with. He also has a more expensive version called Hattor, should you want to spend more. These came out very well in the Hi Fi Critic comparison of passives which is here.

I have now owned 2 passive pre amps, not Khozma, but in the similar price range. A Tilsbury non remote and a Creek with remote.
Would never go back now.

Bloss

Hi Peter - I'm no expert in these devices but there's a lot going for the Schiit (love that name) and I'm thinking of trying one.
Here's an extract from their site : 'Saga uses a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion. You can hear it clicking as you turn the volume up and down'. Also, you can switch the tube off and go passive - its probably more of a buffer than true active stage as there is no gain. Anyway I'll leave it to those who understand this stuff to comment further

I've been dying to buy some schiit for years, and I love the company philosophy, but I just don't think the saga would cut it against a Khozmo based passive.

I have now owned 2 passive pre amps, not Khozma, but in the similar price range. A Tilsbury non remote and a Creek with remote.
Would never go back now.

Bloss

My Khozmo is about four times more expensive than the Tisbury I tried, to see if a passive would work. It is also about four times better in my system.

It surprises me how different passive preamps sound! I’ve tried quite a few now.

PS FWIW I think some pots, e.g. the TKD one in my spare DIY Tupperware job below, sound much better than the cheaper stepped attenuators:

29704793576_ca13e22b1b_b.jpg

I’d put it up against a Valab or Tisbury any day, though in fairness it has no input selection switches, and they do have an effect. I’m sure the advantage of using a shunt on a stepped attenuator is really all about losing a switch in the signal path. I love my ProPassion, it really sounds seriously good and I suspect that represents pretty much a logical extreme of these things. Here’s a gratuitous case-off shot:

26664878399_d060bb491d_b.jpg

advertisement

Back