advertisement

Anyone using a Khozmo passive pre amp?

8000m - input sensitivity 1.12v rms

845 - input sensitivity 1.00v rms

so I should be OK. I couldn't find anything for the output for the ASR phono stage.

The Naka has an output voltage of 1v, so should be OK? I can't find any information on the output sensitivity of the NAD tuner...it's not listed on any specs...

The Naka has an output voltage of 1v, so should be OK? I can't find any information on the output sensitivity of the NAD tuner...it's not listed on any specs...

Again we are talking variables here as there is no fixed ‘required level’ as everything depends on how sensitive your speakers, how large your room, how loud you want to listen etc. You should be fine unless you are trying to fill a warehouse with heavy metal though.

PS Output levels are quite misleading, e.g. the typical 2.25V or whatever for digital is for a shit ‘always on’ brickwalled pop CD like say Red Hot Chilli Peppers or whatever where the level is at the absolute maximum 0db most of the time. A typically beautifully mastered 1980s classical CD will only hit that level maybe twice or three times in a piece, if it ever does, the median level being about a quarter of that or less as it has proper dynamic range.

Thanks Tony. As others in this thread have done, they've been quite nervous before buying because they were worried about compatibility. That I know nothing about passive preamps doesn't help lol! The Sonus Fabers are 6ohm, 89db I believe (they never matched well with the Cyber 845s imho). Thankfully my room is small and I don't listen at loud levels!

Thanks again.

Now to save my pennies!

For what it's worth I'm using a Khozmo with a Quad QSP into Harbeth SHL5+ and both my Chord 2qute DAC and Arkless Phono sound great. The Phono stage requires a bit more volume to give the same output. Cart is a Quintet red.

Presentation is very open and effortless and a very non fatuguing listen. Lots more separation. Previously was using the preamp from my Naim XS which with obvious gain gives slightly more punch and weight but ultimately a harsh edge which seems unnatural after hearing the Khozmo. A tad wearing for long sessions. It did not have the clarity of the Khozmo either. Maybe a better pre would be different but im very happy with the current setup and it released my XS for use in another room.

I had tried the setup with a Tisbury to prove a point and since this worked decided I wanted more of the same. My Khozmo has a nice remote which was a definite bonus.

Thanks Moppit!

OK, ASR have just gotten back to me with a very lengthy response and trying to get me to buy an Emitter II (which I cannot afford lol!). Gotta give Friedrich a +1 for effort! He's also trying to up sell me to the new version of the basis exclusive (apparently can't upgrade old versions to the new version, you have to buy the new version outright). I don't have AUD 20k spare change lying around ;-) He does tell me to keep gains in the phono stage as low as possible and raise the volume on the preamp end, which is what I would intend to do. My dealer set up the ASR for me to suit my cartridge and I'm ain't gonna go pulling things around! I am impressed with his advice and the detail in his email.

Friedrich tells me that the output impedence is below 10 ohms. I thought it would be measure in volts like CD or Tuner? I am no getting confused...

Tony, I spoke to Audio Synthesis and they were really helpful, basically saying that if it works in your system ANY passive will beat any active unless Nagra money is involved. I guess they would, but my Graham Fowler designed Michell Orca is no slouch, until now. I just missed a Passion 8 on eBay so got the Khozmo.

Precisely this yes. Even if Nagra money is involved.

If you use a high quality passive like the Khozmo is there more care to be taken with a separate phono stage i.e. do you need to use a phono stage with particular output characteristics to compensate for lack of an active line stage?

No. The output stages of all sources are a generic much of a muchness. ie there are a variety of output stage circuit topologies in use but there is no difference between those in a phono stage, a CD player, a tuner, a cassette deck etc

Has anyone compared the Khozmo to one of Dave Slagle’s autoformers? I’m considering upgrading the pot in my DHT pre, which is currently a TKD something or other (it was approx £80).

Hi brumjam , a friend has the hattor , and the slagle beats it but no remote so sticking with the hattor for the time being , ive just finised the slagle hard work for older eyes , i would buy the one with elma switch , phil.

Bumping this old thread. I’ve been considering Khozmo or similar priced Schiit Freya S or Topping Pre90 to test between my Linn ADSM/3 (300ohm xlr out) and ATC SCM50ASL (from ATC website: >10k ohm input) so I could bypass the digital volume control completely. I was already in contact with Khozmo and Arek recommended 10k version but would it work in my setup? Topping Pre90 has only 2k ohm xlr input which I guess it’s not optimal with Linn’s 300ohm output.

advertisement

Back