advertisement

Anyone using a Khozmo passive pre amp?

I’ve played around with these a little. The Khozmo is by reputation pretty amazing. Not heard one though. My first one was the Valab, really liked it, but i listen to Radio 3 via the iPlayer app, and I could never get the volume right. It was usually too quiet then too loud. I then tried Tony’s TKD in a tub. That was in my system quite a lot better, imaging in particular was a gain. I then bought the TKD’s big brother, this at quite a significant price rise over the baby pot. Again this allows more detail through, and gives the usability of not being stepped. As I only need one input, I’m not sure what I could gain from using an active pre.

...Again this allows more detail through, and gives the usability of not being stepped. As I only need one input, I’m not sure what I could gain from using an active pre.

If using a class D or tripath amp like Bantam Gold or Amptastic mini-1, this little single input amps, just have a pot on the input, bypass that pot, and you can use a much higher quality pot/attenuator, with the jump in SQ that goes with it.

Now, I can't imagine going back to an active preamp.

My knob is bigged than yours sort of thing.

41068003922_980dac894e_b.jpg

I’m saying nothing.

Has anyone compared the Khozmo to one of Dave Slagle’s autoformers? I’m considering upgrading the pot in my DHT pre, which is currently a TKD something or other (it was approx £80).

Has anyone compared the Khozmo to one of Dave Slagle’s autoformers? I’m considering upgrading the pot in my DHT pre, which is currently a TKD something or other (it was approx £80).

I prefer my TKD pot to the Slagles.

I had a Khzomo passive and it sounded very transparent. I traded it in for the Hattor bling version as it had a remote control and separate volume controls for balance. Looks kinda nice as well. Both sounded very good and worked with a Nord Class D really well especially the Hattor with balanced cables.

However, the Townshend Allegri was better even with phono cables. The Allegri has greater drive and impact. Pays your money takes your choice.

Frankly I’m astonished at just how good the Khozmo is here. Clarity, detail but above all coherence and instruments sound pretty realistic given this is a hifi system and not a live event.

I really urge anyone who has not tried a passive but has a system that might suit one to give it a go. Shed loads of money would be needed to find an active pre to compete and I’ve had a few.

Frankly I’m astonished at just how good the Khozmo is here. Clarity, detail but above all coherence and instruments sound pretty realistic given this is a hifi system and not a live event.

I really urge anyone who has not tried a passive but has a system that might suit one to give it a go. Shed loads of money would be needed to find an active pre to compete and I’ve had a few.

Can I chime in here please :)

I'm about to setup a system consisting of Quad 303 running LS3/5a

Will need a preamp
Sources most likely cd and vinyl, perhaps FM too.

I have allmost ruled out a Quad preamp due to the different sources and their output level, perhaps a very late serviced 34 would match though.?

The Khozmo looks interesting and I wonder if this would be a matching choice, can't blame the price level indeed (though mentioned selector issue is worrying)
I have read others are using passive pre for Quad 303's

Any specific version to look for ?

Tony will know more about the system matching but as for the selector issue - if it's the Lorlin you're worried about, email Arek/Khozmo and ask for an Elma instead. He'll be happy to fit that for the extra it costs. Then all you need decide is whether you want dual mono or stereo and whether you want to pay for upgraded resistors.

The 303 certainly likes passive preamps (assuming a suitable source upstream) and is a decent enough amp to hear the differences between various pots, attenuators etc.

I use a Tisbury Mk 1 into my 303 at the holiday place. For the sources (Avondale AAA5, sat box and TV output) it works a treat.

The only caveat is that at home, my Karma cart into Arkless needed the passive to be pretty much up to unity to go loud. So it depends on your vinyl output in the final analysis.

Yep a decent passive switched attenuator for say £200 will beat a £10K active... or any active at any price for that matter.

Nic, I'm not trying to be smart but I thought the Tisbury was good until I tried a Khozmo. Jez, my Michell Orca is a very nice active preamp that cost about £2.5K when new. It saw off various Dynavector, Naim and cheap valve preamps. It's now left for dust.

advertisement

Back