advertisement

Any recommendations for nice female vocals please?

I've just listened to Mary Fahl's The Other Side of Time - it's worth a listen (superb, I think in a rather intense way).

I think Spotify and I have got a busy few days ahead listening through all these great lists.

Many thanks for the brilliant replies!

Looks like its been beneficial to a few others too :)

Here are some discovered on the fly - almost guaranteed off the wall & never on anyones list

Carla Cook
Toto Coelo
Inga Rumpf
Blue Lu Barker
Lola Haag
Helen Humes
Little Annie

Joni M's middle period has been mentioned. Don't forget her early stuff. (Song for a Seagull, Joni Mitchell, Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon etc.) She was so far ahead of everyone else back then.

Joan Baez tends to split opinion, but I rate her. If the early stuff grates, try 'Diamonds and Rust' for a more mature lady and her take on Dylan, Jackson Browne etc.

Recent home grown:

Thea Gilmore Intelligent rocky/folky stuff.

Karine Polwart. Contemporary folkie stuff.
Kate Rusby. Fab voice but can be a bit samey.

'Mericun:

Beth Nielsen Chapman. Contemporary country/folkie stuff. If nothing else, check out 'Seven Shades of Blue' written for her late hubbie.

Dory Previn. Died last year aged 80+!. Early 'singer songwriter' stuff.

Judee Sill. Interesting character. Dead former drug addict/prostitute and sublime songwriter. Check out 'The Kiss', 'Jesus Was a Crossmaker', etc.

And although pretty much ubiquitous and now possibly over-hyped, two classics by Jennifer Warnes are essential purchases: 'Famous Blue Raincoat' and 'The Hunter.'

Mull

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As you mentioned Sia, you might also like Emiliana Torrini's 'Love in the time of Science' - which is in a similar sonic area to Furler's 'Colour the Small One.' Tina Dico is also worth checking out if you like Furler's Zero 7 work. Torrini sang 'Gollum's song' at the end of the Two Towers - but don't let that put you off, as it's a beautiful piece.

Anja Garbarek's (Jansdotter) 'Smiling and Waving' was produced by Steven Wilson and is excellent (Robert Wyatt guests) as are the albums by Stina Nordenstam.

Regards

Stephen

Good thread, plenty to explore.

Wouldn't necessarily say 'nice' but for someone who always sings with passion (and is amazing live), I would suggest Beth Hart

Beautiful vocals that transport you to a warm balmy evening looking out across the gently lapping ocean.

After 4 pages it's a shame that the following were mentioned perhaps once or not at all:

Rickie Lee Jones
Feist
Natalie Merchant
Fiona Apple
Cat Power (Chan Marshall)

Thank god for no Snorah Jones, Mary Black, or Rebecca Pidgeon!:p

advertisement

Back