advertisement

Any fans of Totem Speakers?

Pair of Totem Ember Fires here, and I find them hard to part with. Not the last word in resolution but so enjoyable and alive.

Reactions: x21
I read that Totems are designed for free space positioning. Had anyone had the monitors work OK close to the wall, as within about 6 inches away?

Reactions: x21
I have a pair of Sttaf on the end of a 34/FM4/306/Rega DAC in my study. I recently added KEF 2500 PSWR(?) active Sub and a Technics SL10. I consider this to be my ‘retirement home’ system. Although I might move to a Quad 66 series system to include a CD player and a stonking remote control.

The Totems sound amazing without the sub (which I’ll probably upgrade at some point)
and completely convincing with. I suspect a 12” BK would be better but the KEF was a cost effective way to try an active sub. I also keep wondering if a second 306 and driving them using a 306 for both channels on each Sttaf might open them out even more….

What I like about Totems is that like a handful of classic British speakers they do everything well and the inevitable compromises are all in the area of ‘ok, but I can live with that because they are so *darn* musical!’ They even do reggae and Techno, jazz, acoustic guitar and vocals are beautiful.

At the Bristol show many years ago I heard Arros on the end of a full Rega system with monoblocks.It was the most musical and musically satisfying system at the show bar none which, IIRC, included KEF Muon and Naim 52/500/active DBLs. And I had a Naim system and KEF 104/2 refs at the time.

When the KEF 104/2 Ref were trashed in a house flood. The nearest we could get was a pair of Totem Forest until we encountered Shahinian Obelisks.

My point is that, for their size, the Totem range seem astonishing. I suspect the Hawks are the retirement home sweet spot. I also heard some Wind many years back and they were jaw droppingly good.

Also the quality of the finish gives them a vey high WAF. I’m a fan. I’m interested to hear what people have said about the Rainmaker. Perhaps with the right sub they are the ones to have for a small room.

Another fan here. They always seem to produce a highly detailed sound that is much ‘bigger’ than their cabinet dimensions would suggest. They always do great demos at Munich, too.

I would have loved to have heard the Shamans when they were still being made.

Excellent speakers IME, I had Mites, Arros, Model 1 and heard Model 1 Signatures and I think Hawks on a good few occasions, the arros are a surprisingly capable speaker for such a small main driver, they worked well in small rooms but sounded even better in a larger room in freespace.

Had the original Model One and the later Signature version.
Really liked the original, less impressed with the Signature.

Also had a pair of Arros and Mites which were perfectly decent but not amazing.

Excellent speakers IME, I had Mites, Arros, Model 1 and heard Model 1 Signatures and I think Hawks on a good few occasions, the arros are a surprisingly capable speaker for such a small main driver, they worked well in small rooms but sounded even better in a larger room in freespace.
I have heard the arros are quite amazing in a larger room.
Had the original Model One and the later Signature version.
Really liked the original, less impressed with the Signature.

Also had a pair of Arros and Mites which were perfectly decent but not amazing.
What didn't you like about them?

I strongly considered the Forest back before settling on the Royd Albion. I ultimately decided I didn't like the character of the bass (a bit lumpy and one note). I really liked the Arro for a small system: super quick. I remember the Model One having a really nice midrange, but didn't boogie as much as I wanted at the time.

Of course, all of this is ancient memory. I've not heard any of them in quite white.

I strongly considered the Forest back before settling on the Royd Albion. I ultimately decided I didn't like the character of the bass (a bit lumpy and one note). I really liked the Arro for a small system: super quick. I remember the Model One having a really nice midrange, but didn't boogie as much as I wanted at the time.

Of course, all of this is ancient memory. I've not heard any of them in quite white.
Your comments on those specific Totem speakers are exactly what I heard as well.
I was just about to buy some Forest in fact but a friend of mine brought me these speakers as per below with some SB drivers and they beat the Forest in every aspects :

The Arros can be magical when suitably placed and partnered. I have them in a second system on a limestone fireplace plinth which is about 8 or 10 inches above the floor, with a high ceiling in an open planliving/dining/kitchen area - effectively no wall behind the listener. Of necessity, the Arros are backed right up against the fireplace wall, just enough clearance to get the speaker wire connected. It’s astonishing how they fill that space. They sound much more controlled in the bass since adding mass loading material in the lower cabinet. A very effective alternative to a quality shoebox-sized standmounter in the right setting.

It’s been a long time since I heard the original Model 1 - I thought it very good at the time. The current Signature One is a lot more speaker; taller and deeper; it provides a similar open-throated, unconstrained voice, but substantially more bass, scale, and volume. Accordingly, it requires more care in placement and partnering; more free space behind it so the bottom end doesn’t overwhelm a smaller room…

Agree regarding the Arros. I've had a pair for 10 years, and it's amazing how such a slim, diminutive form factor can produce such a big sound. I use mine with a Nait 1 or 2, and I am always amazed at how I forget about hi-fi, and get wrapped up in enjoying the music. The tonal balance of the Arros, combined with their omni-directional character, always invite me to just get lost in the music. I think they're quite special...

When l was a show goer always used to enjoy the Model 1- or rather what a large sound with superb dynamics it produced, l suppose this may have started my liking for titchy speakers.

Always amazes me the large sound some ickle speakers can produce.:D

I've been using a pair of Totem Mani-2s in my system for around 25 years, and still like them a lot (They're usually driven by a tubed Audio Research VT100 MkII amplifier, but also work decently with a Rotel RB1080). I also have a pair of Model 1 Signature, which are a notch below but more than adequate for a home theater DUTY with their matching center speaker.

At the time I purchased the Mani-2s, I auditioned quite a few speakers from the likes of Wilson, Martin Logan, Thiel as well as various British models (ProAc, Rogers, etc.) and they came on top (the Thiel CS3.x? being the runner up). Based on their size and look, they may seem expensive, but they are very balanced and enjoyable with very little flaws (they are quite demanding in terms of positioning, and have less bass than other models even at lower prices). They've also aged very well.

I haven't heard the more contemporary Totems though...

I've been using a pair of Totem Mani-2s in my system for around 25 years, and still like them a lot (They're usually driven by a tubed Audio Research VT100 MkII amplifier, but also work decently with a Rotel RB1080). I also have a pair of Model 1 Signature, which are a notch below but more than adequate for a home theater DUTY with their matching center speaker.

At the time I purchased the Mani-2s, I auditioned quite a few speakers from the likes of Wilson, Martin Logan, Thiel as well as various British models (ProAc, Rogers, etc.) and they came on top (the Thiel CS3.x? being the runner up). Based on their size and look, they may seem expensive, but they are very balanced and enjoyable with very little flaws (they are quite demanding in terms of positioning, and have less bass than other models even at lower prices). They've also aged very well.

I haven't heard the more contemporary Totems though...
Keep your Mani 2’s ! Nothing compares to them in Totem’s actual line of product, confirmed by one of the owners of Totem when met in an audio show in Montreal, Canada.

Here’s a couple of pics of my Totem Embers with grilles on and off. The looks divide opinion, they are a lot more subtle with the grilles on but sound better with them off. I know that many people don’t like black gloss finish but these are beautifully made with lots of lacquer coats and are not that shiny or reflective in situ. They certainly sound good and do a very effective disappearing act, and are an easy load. Only criticism is that they can be a *tiny* bit bright with certain acoustic guitar material, easily tamed with a bit of EQ when streaming. I think the Arros mentioned upstream look a real bargain at used prices, will try to get a pair when a set of mint ones come up.

g45b4Bk.jpg

ap5YW9X.jpg

advertisement

Back