advertisement

Any fans of Totem Speakers?

x21

pfm Member
Hi All:

I wanted too know if anyone is a fan of Totem speakers and what models you've had good or bad experiences with.

Cheers,
x21

I had a pair way back. Tall and slim and always felt I could easily knock them over. Beautiful, highly polished veneers. But bit lacking in character after the seriously ugly Naim IBL’s. Fortunately, locally sourced cheap Shahanian Arcs dug me out of that particular hole I’d dug.

Reactions: x21
Totem Sttafs, now replaced by Sky Towers, were my first good speakers; a very natural presentation I enjoyed for years. Just running in a new pair of Totem Sig Ones now. Early days, but I’m enjoying them very much in my den, about 3 and 1/2 metres by 5 and 1/2, pulled out about 50 cm from the wall behind. Partnered happily with Naim NAC 220, NAP 200, NDX2 streamer. Compared with the BEEB style speakers I’ve enjoyed, (Harbeth P3ES-2, Harb M30.1, Graham LS5/9), the Totems are different, but to my taste, on par. They are sumptuous, vivid, with great body and scale, excellent sense of space and dimension. Human voice and wooden instruments have compelling natural warmth and richness. Bass is potent. I like them…

I was a big fan. Used to own the original Model 1 as my main speakers in the 1990s when they only had two models, this and the even more amazing Mani 2. Compact speakers that went deeper than you'd expect for their size.

I had the Model 1 against a number of BBC style monitors over a month or so once, Rogers LS5/3a, Chord LS 5/12a and Harbeth P3. In comparison they all sounded slightly veiled, lacking in bass extension and punch, and small. The Totem was bigger and more open, went deeper and was much more dynamic.

Since then Totem has expanded its range and I've not kept up with the newer models aside from a couple of shows where they usually sound good. I think you can still get the Model 1 which is now a signature version.

I own a pair of Totem Forest Signatures and absolutely love them. I also own the Kef Q series and Monitor Audio Silver and though I’d add B&W to the mix seeing as I enjoy British made speakers/sound but was introduced to Totem and was blown away! Enough so that my father and me both ended up purchasing the same speakers after auditioning them.
I’m in the process of building a new home and have been dealing with the builder/architects to create a music room separate from my home theatre room and plan on purchasing a second set of Forest Signatures (but if the budget and wife allow-the Metal series).:)
Totem are a very musical speaker with great imaging. I must confess I was skeptical at first seeing as I am used to speakers with multiple bass drivers but have been completely satisfied with no regrets.
I look forward to seeing your new purchase/decision.
Happy shopping!:)

A71-A9211-0-BBE-4818-8891-F9-CDF0011552.jpg

Were they the Arro?
I had a pair way back. Tall and slim and always felt I could easily knock them over. Beautiful, highly polished veneers. But bit lacking in character after the seriously ugly Naim IBL’s. Fortunately, locally sourced cheap Shahanian Arcs dug me out of that particular hole I’d dug.

I was surprised to find my older brother had a slim set of totems and they sound rather nice in his Naim set up.

I own a pair of Totem Forest Signatures and absolutely love them. I also own the Kef Q series and Monitor Audio Silver and though I’d add B&W to the mix seeing as I enjoy British made speakers/sound but was introduced to Totem and was blown away! Enough so that my father and me both ended up purchasing the same speakers after auditioning them.
I’m in the process of building a new home and have been dealing with the builder/architects to create a music room separate from my home theatre room and plan on purchasing a second set of Forest Signatures (but if the budget and wife allow-the Metal series).:)
Totem are a very musical speaker with great imaging. I must confess I was skeptical at first seeing as I am used to speakers with multiple bass drivers but have been completely satisfied with no regrets.
I look forward to seeing your new purchase/decision.
Happy shopping!:)
I already own Mites and Hawks. I previously had the Skylight but I think that was a miss. Thanks for your input. Also those are lovely speakers.
I had the Rainmakers a few years ago. A fun little speaker.
I believe those were supposed to be the stand mount version of the hawks. I believe the rainmaker is better than the skylight that replaced it.

One good thing about Totem is they keep the crossover as simple as possible with high quality components. This leads to a very natural sound that is open and allows for a good soundstage as well.
I heard the Mani 2 driven by a Naim NAP 250.2 a few years ago and was totally impressed by the depth of bass notes and huge scale and authority for their size.

I was a big fan. Used to own the original Model 1 as my main speakers in the 1990s when they only had two models, this and the even more amazing Mani 2. Compact speakers that went deeper than you'd expect for their size.

I had the Model 1 against a number of BBC style monitors over a month or so once, Rogers LS5/3a, Chord LS 5/12a and Harbeth P3. In comparison they all sounded slightly veiled, lacking in bass extension and punch, and small. The Totem was bigger and more open, went deeper and was much more dynamic.

Since then Totem has expanded its range and I've not kept up with the newer models aside from a couple of shows where they usually sound good. I think you can still get the Model 1 which is now a signature version.

Interestingly I have heard the founder liked the sound of a British monitor but wanted a deeper and more punchy bass along with better imaging. That's what the model 1 was. Another interesting fact is the hanging speakers totem now makes are based upon something the founder did before the model 1.

One good thing about Totem is they keep the crossover as simple as possible with high quality components. This leads to a very natural sound that is open and allows for a good soundstage as well.
I heard the Mani 2 driven by a Naim NAP 250.2 a few years ago and was totally impressed by the depth of bass notes and huge scale and authority for their size.
Based on what I know about the Mani 2 the NAP 300 is probably the minimum to properly drive them. Isobaric designs are brutal electrical loads.

@x21 … I’ve owned Forests, Arros and Sttafs. They’re all quite different from each other imo. I didn’t find there was a particular Totem house sound.

I loved the first two models but found the Sttafs a bit bloomy and imprecise. The Arro is a remarkable little speaker and is certainly on my revisit list now I’m in a smaller listening room.

I wrote a review on the Forests. Link below, assuming that’s ok given that it was for a different website.

https://hifipig.com/totem-acoustic-forest-loudspeaker/

Were they the Arro?
Funny, I loved the sound of the Arros after getting over my initial shock of how unimpressive they look in terms of size. My wife even teased me when I brought them home to audition and asked if they came in Men’s. I almost purchased them as a second set of speakers for another room but decided to upgrade my Rega Rp6 to a Rp10 in my music room instead. They have always been in the back of my mind tempting me- enough so that I contacted Totem to ask if they would install the three high gloss black feet instead of the original, which they said they would.
I started playing the Lottery- who knows, maybe someday.

I’ve owned Rainmakers and Mites - the Mites were better and are some of my favourite tiny speakers. It took Boenicke W5s (expensive) to significantly better them

Does anyone here have high end Totems? Because I love their neutral sound Ive often wondered how they would compare against top end Kudos and top end Boenicke (my three favourite brands for their signature sound)

Funny, I loved the sound of the Arros after getting over my initial shock of how unimpressive they look in terms of size. My wife even teased me when I brought them home to audition and asked if they came in Men’s. I almost purchased them as a second set of speakers for another room but decided to upgrade my Rega Rp6 to a Rp10 in my music room instead. They have always been in the back of my mind tempting me- enough so that I contacted Totem to ask if they would install the three high gloss black feet instead of the original, which they said they would.
I started playing the Lottery- who knows, maybe someday.

I know I remember seeing them online and thinking they were toys. Now after hearing them I want a pair.

advertisement

Back