advertisement

Any fans of Totem Speakers?

I've heard just two pairs myself.
  • The first was a couple of decades ago, which I remembered sounding nice, but not as engaging and rhythmic as I wanted.
  • The second was a pair that I picked up used earlier this year, out of curiosity. I had really liked the Forests before eventually choosing the Royd Albion, and I've always respected Vince Bruzzese of Totem. The Mites are definitely not comparable to the Forests, but now my itch is scratched. ;)
FWIW, I've tried this pair here with a series of amps, and their character hasn't changed much. Perhaps another pair would sound different.
I suppose the room size is probably quite the factor in my enjoyment

I recently built a system around a Jeff Rowland Continuum s2 and the Totem Fire V2s. I have other floor standing speakers and have even owned Shahinian speakers in the past, but there’s something about listening to a Mahler symphony that’s so pleasing through this system. It may not have the slam, but the tonality and the soundstage is excellent. I have a pair of Metals on the way, so that may add the slam required.

I have had cherry Mani-2's driven by 135's for 15+ years. I spoke with Vince Bruzzese (Totem owner and chief designer at the time) regarding Naim amplification, specifically the 135's. His response was that it would be great in a normal (Canadian) living / family room at moderate listening levels. If I was looking for full on concert level, then more amp was required. He nailed it. At very loud levels the amps lose control of the bottom end and it gets bloated and drones while the top end hardens and gets shrill.

Amps are CB135's fed by an Olive 72 with NeilJ's boards powered by a Teddycap. Room is 14 x 25 stud and plasterboard with a carpeted cement pad floor. Mostly classic hard rock, some jazz - primarily female vocalist and a smattering of classical.

advertisement

Back