advertisement

Amir vs Danny

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
Looks like GR Research is the latest manufacturer to have a not-so-favourable 'review' by ASR. (If you don't have time to watch both videos then from 26min onwards Danny's video gives a summary of the issues raised).

ASR:

Danny's reply:

For the money it seems churlish to criticise, no one buys single driver kit speakers expecting measured excellence.
In his previous YT videos promoting the LGK Danny points out the laws of physics that a 3-inch driver playing full-range music has limited excursion capability, and that the speakers are intended to be used as nearfield computer monitors that are listened to on-axis at moderate levels. He recommends high-passing them at around 80Hz if they are to be pushed beyond this. Seems Amir didn't get the memo on that!...

I think Amir misunderstands one point of the Floyd Toole methodology that he so admires. Toole uses a single speaker (each) when doing double blind comparisons, but I don't recall that a single speaker is necessarily recommended when evaluating just a single product at a time.

(Anything from Harman or Genelec is guaranteed a rave review on ASR)

I am always intrigued by Xover component upgrades. Many, many manufacturers seem to save money there. Seems the obvious place as no one usually sees it (that and drivers fixed to the cabinet with wood screws rather than bolts into inset guides).

Even relatively expensive speakers often use super cheap parts on Xovers. Then you have others that pay attention and use better ones such as Falcon, Chartwell, CSS with their Criton and others.

I don't know if better parts equate to better performance, all things being equal but I do question if a £10 complete Xrossover in a £3k speaker is money well saved.

I am always intrigued by Xover component upgrades. Many, many manufacturers seem to save money there. Seems the obvious place as no one usually sees it (that and drivers fixed to the cabinet with wood screws rather than bolts into inset guides).

Even relatively expensive speakers often use super cheap parts on Xovers. Then you have others that pay attention and use better ones such as Falcon, Chartwell and others.

I don't know if better parts equate to better performance, all things being equal but I do question if a £10 complete Xrossover in a £3k speaker is money well saved.

What's wrong with wood screws? A good wood screw can be tightened that hard, it can distort the driver frame. The only possible problem I can think of is if the screws keep being removed, I suppose they could become loose after a while, but then that's an easy fix.

As for crossover parts, that's not an easy one to answer. Some cheap components sound very good for the money, and some expensive ones sound bad in my subjective opinion. The frequency response and phase tracking etc is far more important IMO. Good components are just the icing on the cake.

That's odd, don't they want to assess the soundfield?

When someone without any real depth of knowledge reads some off-hand comment in a research article or technical how-to, it's easy for them to take that as a universal truth, never question it, and then make it an unthinking must-do.

In his previous YT videos promoting the LGK Danny points out the laws of physics that a 3-inch driver playing full-range music has limited excursion capability, and that the speakers are intended to be used as nearfield computer monitors that are listened to on-axis at moderate levels. He recommends high-passing them at around 80Hz if they are to be pushed beyond this. Seems Amir didn't get the memo on that!...

Amir doesn’t take such things into account, no sympathetic matching etc.
He measured a 10 watt Luxman tube integrated amplifier and used 87db Infinity speakers which aren’t exactly what you’d expect to be used with a 10w
tube amp.
He seems a bit confused what amplifier he used to test the LGK 2, reviews say PA5 but correspondence with Danny says Purifio_O

I don't know if better parts equate to better performance

Me neither, but I would expect any speaker manufacturer 'worth their salt' to have tried the comparison for them selves and considered whether the change, if any, would be commercially beneficial.

advertisement

Back