advertisement

Amir vs Danny

Although I have mixed feelings about all of them, if nothing else, this video from Amir proves Danny can design a crossover.

T

He did a "review" of the Harbeth P3ESR. It measured very well by his standards, but he did not like the quality of crossover components. Of course. I think the terms "cheesy" and "worst of the worst" came up... He declined to work up a modification because it wouldn't fit in the box. I suppose the LS3/5A would get a similar treatment from him, except it might show up more measurement irregularities.

He did exactly this for the LS50 Meta as well.

I suppose we could watch a few Danny vids and a few with Jack Oclee-Brown of KEF and make our own judgements. Having been to KEF I am somewhat biased :).

Dueling dimwits, grab your popcorn!

There's far dimmer out there! Both have a much better grasp of what they are doing than the average punter.
Neither are like your avatar, although I suppose their behaviour is a bit pea-brained in this particular situation.

Danny's videos of his "upgrading" other manufacturer's loudspeakers definitely have a 'click-baitey' vibe and his approach of modifying crossovers to obtain a flatter FR without regard for the original design objectives does come across as being somewhat naive. However, if you watch the earlier videos he posted before he started filming the upgrade videos they are actually quite informative, especially if you are relatively new to audio and have limited understanding of how a speaker produces sound. You do of course need to separate out the "sales spin", but this is no different from any other content you consume. From what I've seen of Danny he has a lot of experience designing loudspeakers and isn't just parroting information that he's read elsewhere. I surely can't be the only one on pfm who's more than a little curious to hear his flagship line-array open baffle loudspeakers and servo subs?!

Last edited:
I love the way Amir says he’s out about $500/600 if his own money, despite always banging on about his $100,000 measuring machine…

Problem with Amir is that he never seems to take into account the intended use of less mainstream products like this. There’s never any attempt to understand what the design brief was, and just treats it the same as everything else. And when he comes up with his own measurements that don’t stack up to everything else, he pans it and starts the usual witch hunt among his disciples.

I surely can't be the only one on pfm who's more than a little curious to hear his flagship line-array open baffle loudspeakers and servo subs?!

I'm curious, and I'd be quite surprised if they weren't very good. As you say, you've got to separate the sales spin.

My only concern with the speaker upgrades is how much time and effort he put into upgrading the crossovers. Give a number of excellent loudspeaker designers the same speaker to upgrade, and they will all come up with different circuits. There are so many variables with a crossover circuit, and also a big part of it is subjective.

Indeed, it also proves that ASR also listens to equipment. It tells me something about those that claim otherwise.
His speaker listening tests are somewhat unique. He seems to listen near-field to one speaker, using the same 5 tracks he has listened to thousands of times to assess the tonality. While this has its merits in verifying the frequency response he's just measured, this is not how speakers are designed to be used, is it.

Unlike other reviewers, he doesn't seem to set them up properly and have prolonged listening sessions with a variety of music to try and assess the designer's intentions and see who they might appeal to. In fact he seems to think that's unnecessary and there are simply well designed (flat), and incompetently designed (coloured) loudspeakers. It's this complete dismissal of subjectivity that I dislike about ASR. You just have to look at the Cranage thread to see that people have quite different tastes. If they didn't, KEF would be the only company selling speakers.

• His speaker listening tests are somewhat unique. He seems to listen near-field to one speaker, using the same 5 tracks he has listened to thousands of times to assess the tonality.
The part I have highlighted is incorrect. You're confusing his listening test with his measurement tests.

I surely can't be the only one on pfm who's more than a little curious to hear his flagship line-array open baffle loudspeakers and servo subs?!

According to his now infamous video on that subject, I doubt if Danny would consider the average pfm member to be experienced enough (in his opinion), to be able to judge them fairly.

Nope. He mentions that he does listening tests with one speaker in that video and elsewhere.
Listening to a single speaker is fine if you’re assessing tonal accuracy, and listening to see what the speaker is or isn’t doing (as the likes of Harman do), but when you listen as part of a review, you have to listen using a pair - and certainly at the sort of distance they’ve been designed for - you’re not going to stick those LGK speakers (or near-field monitors) in a huge room and listen from 15ft away. You have to respect their intended use.

I can count on the fingers of one thumb the number of hi fi YouTubers that I’d trust as being honest and impartial. Erin is one of them; I think he endeavours to be as objective as possible. Either that or he is the world’s greatest con man.

I can count on the fingers of one thumb the number of hi fi YouTubers that I’d trust as being honest and impartial. Erin is one of them; I think he endeavours to be as objective as possible. Either that or he is the world’s greatest con man.

Who is Erin?

Hifi and audio YouTubers are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, however if I have to be honest with myself, most come across pompous.
Very rarely do I think “would be nice to have a beer and talk shop with this guy”
There are some exceptions though.
Steve Gutenberg is a bit of a funny dude, but strikes me as very passionate, and I appreciate how he mentions/describes the music he uses in the reviews.
The other must be The British Audiophile. For the not tech inclined like me, I like how he breaks down the guts of the gear and gives a tour of what is what. Great communicator and very structured and reasoned reviews.

His speaker listening tests are somewhat unique. He seems to listen near-field to one speaker, using the same 5 tracks he has listened to thousands of times to assess the tonality. While this has its merits in verifying the frequency response he's just measured, this is not how speakers are designed to be used, is it.

Unlike other reviewers, he doesn't seem to set them up properly and have prolonged listening sessions with a variety of music to try and assess the designer's intentions and see who they might appeal to. In fact he seems to think that's unnecessary and there are simply well designed (flat), and incompetently designed (coloured) loudspeakers. It's this complete dismissal of subjectivity that I dislike about ASR. You just have to look at the Cranage thread to see that people have quite different tastes. If they didn't, KEF would be the only company selling speakers.
What I do find ASR useful for is picking up issues of QC or corner cutting where there’s say gross channel imbalance, failure to meet claimed specification or performance generally that simply can’t justify the price tag. The zealotry among his acolytes is the off putting part.

advertisement

Back