advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

A terrific article about Chris Sievey/Frank by Jon Ronson

So, Anthony Taylor returns after a ban to referee a big game like Chelsea Vs Manchester City...joy!
Is it a big game though?
Serial PL champions against mid table club showing early signs of improvement.
Add to that the fact that whenever Taylor refs Chelsea it never ends well for us - recent examples against Man U, Liverpool & who could ever forget the shit show against Spurs last season with his VAR 'mate' Mike Dean.
I'm going to this game and all I hope for is a decent match that finishes with 22 men on the pitch regardless of the scoreline.
The Chelsea fans have a special song for Taylor - I will be joining in:)

Is it a big game though?
Serial PL champions against mid table club showing early signs of improvement.
Add to that the fact that whenever Taylor refs Chelsea it never ends well for us - recent examples against Man U, Liverpool & who could ever forget the shit show against Spurs last season with his VAR 'mate' Mike Dean.
I'm going to this game and all I hope for is a decent match that finishes with 22 men on the pitch regardless of the scoreline.
The Chelsea fans have a special song for Taylor - I will be joining in:)
Yes, two of the Premier League's most successful clubs in recent years, and second tier rivals from the days of Kerry Dixon!
There is a common bond - Anthony Taylor f***s us both over when we play United and Liverpool!

Wanted - Premier League Standard left back

Must be fit, fast and skillful and have a good injury free record. Apply to Roberto di Zerbi.

We started the season with only one recognised left back, Pervis Estupinan. He is excellent and an upgrade on the £62m Cucurella whom we sold to Chelsea last season.

He was injured in our game at Aston Villa, came back last night and lasted about 10 minutes before coming off again.

So far this season we have filled in with the following...

Tariq Lamptey (right back) - currently injured
Solly March (left footed right winger) - he is probably the best solution we've got as he has played left wing back before, but he sustained a bad injury, probably out for the rest of the season.
James Milner (James Milner) - was injured last night against Ajax
Pascal Gross (Midfield/No 10) - One of the real stars of our PL campaigns, finally capped by Germany this season. Looked to be feeling his hamstring near the end of last night's game.

One recent solution was to play with a back three and no full backs at all - though this doesn't fit RdZ's style.

Apart from the perceived weakness on the left of our defence because of this, Mitoma has been struggling for form without his flying overlapping fullback as an option.

Does any other team have a position that appears to be cursed?

VAR: Correct decision to award Newcastle United goal against Arsenal, panel rules - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67372283
Why are they even bothering doing this - wasn't enough time spent sorting out the correct decisions during the game?
Sounds like jobs for the boys to me;)
I'm far more interested in how long Arteta is going to be banned for after his embarrassing post match rant.

We could do with a centre forward, though not as desperately as Chelsea. And a 6, but Howe doesn't seem to like sixes.
I'll just leave this here while I'm on:
VAR: Correct decision to award Newcastle United goal against Arsenal, panel rules - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67372283
Neither VAR nor the panel you refer to appear to understand the laws of the game.

Amazingly Guimaraes was allowed to stay on, and while the panel thought he should received a red card it was on a majority of 3 to 2. There are two people on the panel who think striking a player in the face with a forearm is ok.

It's not, it's a red in football, it's even a red in rugby and prohibited in boxing!

This is the premier league on violent conduct:

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible."

You might take comfort in the panel's conclusions. I have very little faith in them.

We started the season with only one recognised left back, Pervis Estupinan. He is excellent and an upgrade on the £62m Cucurella whom we sold to Chelsea last season.

He was injured in our game at Aston Villa, came back last night and lasted about 10 minutes before coming off again.

So far this season we have filled in with the following...

Tariq Lamptey (right back) - currently injured
Solly March (left footed right winger) - he is probably the best solution we've got as he has played left wing back before, but he sustained a bad injury, probably out for the rest of the season.
James Milner (James Milner) - was injured last night against Ajax
Pascal Gross (Midfield/No 10) - One of the real stars of our PL campaigns, finally capped by Germany this season. Looked to be feeling his hamstring near the end of last night's game.

One recent solution was to play with a back three and no full backs at all - though this doesn't fit RdZ's style.

Apart from the perceived weakness on the left of our defence because of this, Mitoma has been struggling for form without his flying overlapping fullback as an option.

Sounds like you've got a reasonably fit squad but of course you've got the added pressure of more games now you're in Europe.
Cucurella is playing much better under Poch and is a decent squad player - and he's fit;)

Don't feel like the Hammers have had a proper striker since DiCanio. Every window we moan about getting one in and every window we seem to neglect it. Antonio has, at times filled in admirably, but has always lacked the finishing touch to really be a proper one.

Neither VAR nor the panel you refer to appear to understand the laws of the game.

Amazingly Guimaraes was allowed to stay on, and while the panel thought he should received a red card it was on a majority of 3 to 2. There are two people on the panel who think striking a player in the face with a forearm is ok.

It's not, it's a red in football, it's even a red in rugby and prohibited in boxing!

This is the premier league on violent conduct:

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible."

You might take comfort in the panel's conclusions. I have very little faith in them.
Everyone is out of step but you…
and how hypocritical and lacking in any self awareness to post the “rules” given Havertz’s disgusting attack that went unpunished.

Everyone is out of step but you…
Not at all. For example I could accept a red for havertz, though I can also see why it was only yellow.

However given the laws of the game and the time that VAR and the panel had to look at the challenge I can't understand the conclusion they reached on the guimaraes challenge. Can you?

I've also heard a bit of radio commentary on the game and off the top of my head these are some of those who shared my views. I'll take them over some unnamed chummy panel any day

Andy Townsend, Ally mcoist, Danny Kelly, Ian wright, Paul hawksbee, Andy jacobs.

You, Lego Pep & AFC just need to suck it up and move on.
Cherry picking VAR decisions to suit your misguided agenda is not a good look.

You couldn't make it up. Cost us the game obviously...

Coventry City have received confirmation that last week’s penalty decision that went against them was wrong.

Premier League referee Anthony Taylor – who had been demoted to the Championship after making a wrong penalty call in the top flight – awarded Preston a first half spot-kick after Kyle McFadzean was judged to have dragged down striker Milutin Osmajic.

Replays showed the Sky Blues defender barely touched the player, but Taylor gave the decision in the home side’s favour and Alan Browne promptly handed North End a 2-1 lead minutes after they had cancelled out Haji Wright’s opener.

You, Lego Pep & AFC just need to suck it up and move on.
Cherry picking VAR decisions to suit your misguided agenda is not a good look.

think a few on here like to hang on and bleat about past var decisions, it is not as if anyone heeds them, as Wobbly said above, move on.

advertisement

Back