advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm wrong but I think Chelsea face an extended period of mid-table mediocrity - this all seems a bit like watching a car crash in slow motion.
Huge pressure now on young Enzo to step up in the middle - he'll need to become a leader.
A midfield completely ripped out makes no sense at all to me but Boehly & Co seem to have decided that any players nearing the end of their contracts should be sold regardless of how that might affect the balance of the squad - I wonder how much say Poch is having in all this?
A lot of these players they've signed on 8 year contracts need to hit the ground running next season that's for sure.

Sadly Mr. Whippy is off to Barcelona.

And what a player he has been. I can understand him wanting to go now - as Pep's first signing, he has now achieved everything that he possibly can, and I suspect the well has run dry, mentally and physically: the same is probably true for Bernardo.

Rodolfo Borell - Pep's assistant for 7 years and City Academy director before that - is moving to the MLS. Enzo Maresca has already left City to become Leicester City manager and both are very highly regarded at City. With Gundogan leaving too, this will be a challenge. It is all relative, of course: we are not fixing holes in the roof and scrabbling to pay player wages.

As regards pulling out of the Rice race, there is a tradition to this: Maguire, Fred, Pogba etc. were all lined up and we pulled out of all deals. I don't know whether this is like bidding someone up at the auction house or whether we simply were not prepared to bid what Arsenal were. As I have said before, Arsenal have a good manager and a vibrant young team and they are being backed heavily by what will now be the highest five-year net-spend in the league, along with Chelsea. As for City, with Kovacic complete (who I think is an excellent player), and Gvardiol to be rumoured, I think that will be it unless players leave. The outstanding Oscar Bobb (Academy player of the year) will be promoted to the first team and can currently be seen playing for Norway U21 in the Uefa tournament. James McAtee will return after an excellent season at the Blades, as will Tommy Doyle - I hope both, and Cole Palmer, can earn some minutes.

53010055244_56ebd7e122_c.jpg

A touch of class.

I for one am glad City have declined to pursue Rice.
He’s good, but not City good.

I think he's an excellent player, but also (like anyone) would have a real opportunity to develop under Pep. He may well have the same under Arteta, who we know Pep rates extremely highly.

Balancing the books after Todd's reckless spending although to be fair Mount had made it clear he wouldn't sign a new contract.
60 mill for a player with only 1 year left on his contract suggests to me that United have overpaid and at that price were first in a queue of one.

As an Arse fan I’m very pleased with Rice, Havertz and Timber, think they’ll fit right in. Don’t really care what any of them cost, just nice to be attracting big players again.

I have an ongoing bet that we finish above Chelsea, looking safe for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back