advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems significant

Premier League on verge of £900m six-year deal [with EFL] after "proactive debate"

"The EFL’s case has undoubtedly been strengthened by the three newly-promoted clubs - Sheffield United, Burnley and Luton - occupying the relegation zone places without a win between them which only heightens the gap between the top flight."

[It doesn't look like the "evil" parachute payments will be scrapped though]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-efl-new-deal-31056960

Enjoyed watching Cole Palmer's performance a couple of evenings ago at fortress Stamford Bridge.
What an elegant and talented player he looks - hopefully Poch gives him an extended run in the team.
Makes me more forgiving of City nicking Kova from us for loose change.:)

Cole is a very talented boy and I was disappointed that he left. Apparently, he wanted assurances on first team involvement and Pep wouldn't guarantee it and also refused a loan. It was a fair price for a young player but I think you have a gem, if he keeps his head down and puts in the work.

Pep mentioned it in his presser after the game. He was also rather upset with Newcastle's 'tackling'.

I am never upset with a team's tackling, personally, but I am upset if a referee fails to get a grip of it for one team, yet punishes another for the relatively trivial. I felt that was what happened in the Newcastle fixture, and against Nottingham Forest (leading to Rodri's stupid retaliation). Still, a strong team has to cope with that and we didn't. The result was fair and the team that Howe put out in the second half overran us for about twenty minutes, which was enough to win the game. Onwards now to the PL, without Stones, Silva, Rodri and DeBruyne, so I imagine that Nunes and Kovacic will pick up the CM positions and the attack will see the return of Haaland, who didn't play against Newcastle, with Foden starting and Alvarez dropping back into his highly effective AM position. Given current fitness/form, I imagine that Doku will start for Grealish.

Just listened to the post match interviews with the Villa and Brighton managers.

I like the way they speak. Fantastic, both of them.

Villa and Brighton are still dark horses.

Hmmmm. When de Zerbiiball goes wrong it goes VERY wrong.

Aston Villa (and Watkins in particular) are definitely our bogey team (and player).

As predicted, we will, and now have dropped points. Against the better teams, the injuries in midfield and especially the suspension of Rodri will cost us. It is just a fact that the loss of DeBruyne, Silva, Rodri, and Stones is a major issue for the team, especially given that both Grealish and Kovacic are also not fully fit.
Today, we once again saw a physically impressive team knock us off our stride, just as Newcastle did. I thought Wolves were an embarrassment of play-acting, but I do not blame them. It is the referee's job to sort it out and, once again, we saw inept officiating that permitted players rolling on the floor to disrupt the game. Wolves' game plan was excellent - 5 at the back, pack centrally, and hit the wings on the break. Neto had Ake on a plate, to be honest. in what was probably his worst game for the club. Pep was consigned to the stands, for 3 yellow cards, but he would undoubtedly have had one today because he would have lost it with Pawson, certainly. Well done to Wolves, but there is more opportunity for our opponents over the next month, as I have said on here.

The parmo boys are on town. All the geordies went to rome just to see the pope. Whose that team they call the boro. Terry cochrane on the wing. Billy Ashcroft go on lad head it in . Give us a goal John o'neal. Up the Boro the Boro's going up . Strukeys strut.

I can't believe all this nonsense with VAR goes on in other European leagues - not only are most of our referees totally incompetent they absolutely love the limelight as well.

Unlucky there Liverpool. Spurs a developing side, for sure. First red card was understandable, but harsh. The VAR still needs to show that he made contact with the ball but came over it. The outcome was, however, dangerous. I don't know what is going on with refereeing but I am seeing really poor performances in game after game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back