advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last!
the clearance of the no longer up to it old guard begins. Rashford, Mount and Henderson are only the first tranche hopefully.
When has Rashford let England down? I agree about your other two players and you could also include Sterling, but Rashford!

Rashford is 26 probably coming into his prime in a year or so...

Didn't he score for England in the qualifiers recently?

@gavreid For me, most players come to their peak much earlier. I have often seen great young players, only for coaches and managers to 'knock' that flair out of them. The game is so fast nowadays my guestimation would be 24/25/26.

It's only my opinion, I have already said I would be more aggressive in making changes than Southgate, the same can be said for Palmer who when I've seen him on tv has played superb, if you drop Rashford would you pick Gordon or Palmer? All the fun of being armchair pundits.
Tough call. Gordon better against a high line and when game is stretched. Palmer probably better against packed defence of inferior teams who sit back. So in group games I'd probably start Palmer and bring Gordon on as a sub.

Hopefully it's a blip, on form he's a great player. I just think other players deserved to go ahead of him this time.

Cheers BB
I'll agree 100%, others have played better this season, but at his best he is head and shoulders above his rivals for an England spot, and he's not let England down.

Surely the front three has to be Foden, Kane and Saka? Rashford has done nothing all season, others have. If we had a spare central defender or two I’d play Stones next to Rice in midfield, or at least let him step into that position to create an overload. Palmer will be a useful squad member.

I don’t think Maguire would cope with such positional flexibility though.

I'll agree 100%, others have played better this season, but at his best he is head and shoulders above his rivals for an England spot, and he's not let England down.
Gordon is tied first with Haaland for most goals and assists against the top 6:
Surely the front three has to be Foden, Kane and Saka? Rashford has done nothing all season, others have. If we had a spare central defender or two I’d play Stones next to Rice in midfield.
They could go with Rice, Bellingham and Foden in midfield with Foden furthest forward and then Palmer/Gordon, Kane and Saka upfront.
Unfortunately I think Stones will have to play centre half but he could drift forward if Rice or Bellingham see him and sit.

Surely the front three has to be Foden, Kane and Saka? Rashford has done nothing all season, others have. If we had a spare central defender or two I’d play Stones next to Rice in midfield, or at least let him step into that position to create an overload. Palmer will be a useful squad member.

I don’t think Maguire would cope with such positional flexibility though.
Two defensively minded players never works for me, and as far as I have seen for England. Keep Stones in a central defensive position and have Rice has cover. Our strength lies in our attacking players.

Two defensively minded players never works for me, and as far as I have seen for England. Keep Stones in a central defensive position and have Rice has cover. Our strength lies in our attacking players.
Our weakness will be our defence, 2 CDMs invites the other team on and reduces our attacking options. I agree, Stones has to CB, he's our best.

Cheers BB

I would have a central midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden. I would play Palmer on the right (in personal preference to Saka) and Maddison or Grealish on the left, all behind Kane.

I would have a central midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden. I would play Palmer on the right (in personal preference to Saka) and Maddison or Grealish on the left, all behind Kane.
Is that the same Grealish who had to be helped out of a club at 5am the other morning? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back