advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

Though this is true (sentence 1), these are not legal charges, they are alleged rule breaches. Most have no idea what they are but 115 is a number I have heard a lot in the last two days.

I hear a lot about time-barring. Those who make the accusation that City were only found not guilty by CAS because of time barring miss the point - time barring means the evidence cannot be heard, AND nor can it be defended. City were found guilty ONLY of non-cooperation with UEFA, and the original 50m fine was reduced to 9m because CAS accepted that City refused to provide further information because it was being handed to third parties, which prejudiced the case.

The latter is true, and although it is pretty meaningless to fossils like I, City has now been named as the most valuable sporting brand of all, and now has 42.1 million following the club on Instagram, the 2nd highest in the Premier League. The club has had a meteoric rise so the accusations of sponsorship not being of fair value are really gone - based on these issues, the clubs sponsorship levels, kit deals, and so on, should be just about the largest in the game. The repeated negativity from certain journalists in the UK has not stalled worldwide growth. Sooner, or later, journalists like Miguel Delaney will have to pack up and go home - his repeated assertion that City are state owned is simply false.

The PL is much of the root of this problem. When the previous head of the FA stated that the PL needs a strong Manchester United, you could see that the focus of the PL was money, it was never about competition. I buy into the product as a fan, but I absolutely hope there comes a time when the game is opened up to the working-classes once more. If I take my lad to the game, a single game, I am in to 150 including travel, and I only live down the road. I earn decent money but that is simply not affordable to me, and I won't go to the game without him.
Well, I suppose we are dancing on a pinhead here regardless of whether they are legal or rule breaches. The outcome is ultimately the same in that it involves lawyers. This could drag on for years. Look how quickly it collapsed in the golf world, essentially a pack of cards.

The EPL have opened the door to oligarchs, the gambling industry & more latterly sovereign wealth funds. These are not people to pick a fight with.

Of course you also have venture capitalists, it’s a sorry old mess.

The latest is NUFC with their convenient shirt sponsor, an increase from £7m to £25m.

The football authorities have allowed all this & the likes of UEFA continue to treat fans with utter contempt.

Literally raining on their parade at the moment.
Epic thunderstorm in SW MCR...a huge downpour with hail and thought the basement drain was going to be overwhelmed at one point.
Hope everyone in central MCR is OK.

Well, I suppose we are dancing on a pinhead here regardless of whether they are legal or rule breaches. The outcome is ultimately the same in that it involves lawyers. This could drag on for years. Look how quickly it collapsed in the golf world, essentially a pack of cards.

The EPL have opened the door to oligarchs, the gambling industry & more latterly sovereign wealth funds. These are not people to pick a fight with.

The latest is NUFC with their convenient shirt sponsor, an increase from £7m to £25m.

The football authorities have allowed all this & the likes of UEFA continue to treat fans with utter contempt.

Yes, sorry, I was meaning that it won't be played out in court, but it is really the same.
Big investment comes with big lawyers who protect it.

“Convenient”. LMAAO.

There is a lot of money in Newcastle replica kit. A pre-season friendly is set away to Rangers in July and Newcastle have already sold 8,000 tickets. 8,000 supporters just for an away friendly.

[Urmston first place mentioned on Local News; Sainsbury's flooded and closed; Grammar School exam hall flooded but clear-up was underway. Back to the studio...]

“Convenient”. LMAAO.

There is a lot of money in Newcastle replica kit. A pre-season friendly is set away to Rangers in July and Newcastle have already sold 8,000 tickets. 8,000 supporters just for an away friendly.

With qualification for the Champions League, that shirt sponsorship now looks good value. There is good discussion here, because there is a growing recognition that there is no real difference between US venture capitalist money, and 'dirty oil money'. The simple face is that both sides will be investing for return. Now, the return may come in different forms - either direct cash returns, or the wider promotion of airlines and tourist destinations. The only issue with the former, is that cash leaves football, with the latter it might not, at least in the short to medium term.

City have now reached such a scale, particularly with the City Football Group, that sponsoring them opens a business to international markets across the globe. There is lots of talk that this has been done to allow City to access players on the cheap, but I think this has more to do with the business, reaching and promoting in untapped markets, rather than developing Manchester City's player group.

Did one of the PF City fans post on Blue Moon yesterday:

"To be fair to United they turned out in huge numbers in 1999 for their treble celebration. Big numbers for miles around."

"This is pathetic. Even West Ham last week put them to shame or even Wrexham the other week."

:D

With qualification for the Champions League, that shirt sponsorship now looks good value. There is good discussion here, because there is a growing recognition that there is no real difference between US venture capitalist money, and 'dirty oil money'. The simple face is that both sides will be investing for return. Now, the return may come in different forms - either direct cash returns, or the wider promotion of airlines and tourist destinations. The only issue with the former, is that cash leaves football, with the latter it might not, at least in the short to medium term.

City have now reached such a scale, particularly with the City Football Group, that sponsoring them opens a business to international markets across the globe. There is lots of talk that this has been done to allow City to access players on the cheap, but I think this has more to do with the business, reaching and promoting in untapped markets, rather than developing Manchester City's player group.
It is about everything you mention. Whichever way you look at it a 3 fold increase in shirt sponsorship is a big jump. Geordies have always been big buyers & wearers of shirts. It is a way of avoiding certain FFP sanctions, however, its a non-issue now as there is nothing that can be done to stop it. it does beg the question as to how things will look in 5-10 years for fans, football isn't going to get any cheaper.

Did one of the PF City fans post on Blue Moon yesterday:

"To be fair to United they turned out in huge numbers in 1999 for their treble celebration. Big numbers for miles around."

"This is pathetic. Even West Ham last week put them to shame or even Wrexham the other week."

:D
Yes, I am sure this was a City fan...

It is a shame that all football forums attract some fans of other clubs who posts are dubious. Fortunately, they don't seem to last.

What does it matter? Some teams are better supported than others. MUFC have a huge global base, ultimately it doesn't mean they keep winning trophies. It's akin to the 'Leeds would have taken more'.

advertisement

Back