advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

Huge pressure on both teams in a final, but especially the favourites, the team with the more attacking outlook and a Club that had yet to win the competition...and had fallen at the last hurdle so recently.
There was a moment when the camera was on Pep and he was clearly saying "Relax, RELAX!"
Losing KDB early on didn't help, but Inter's unexpectedly effective (and high) press was a big factor in City's "poor performance".
Pep's press conference is worth watching.
Sir Alex sent him a good luck message apparently which was nice to hear.

Problem is, Gareth won’t play them in those positions because obviously he knows better!
To be fair to Southgate, playing Stones in a meandering role as he does at ManC takes a highly organised and practised team. At National level the manager does not have the time to practice strategies that are possible with daily practice at club level

I agree. Those that were expecting a demolition were wide of the mark.
Guilty as charged.;)
Tbh I didn't think City looked at the races for the 1st quarter of an hour but that was largely down to Inter giving them no time on the ball to build any kind of rythm.
Losing KDB was a big blow and I think ultimately affected the performance of Haaland who seems to have built up a near telepathic understanding with him.
Like all great teams City found a way and deserved the bit of good fortune they had in the dying stages.

Congratulations to Man City and Pep, a treble is a monumental achievement, but as a neutral, i wasn't filled with the same excitement at the end, as i was with the West Ham victory, i guess the West Ham win was a more romantic, fairy tail ending.
Anyway, the end to another season, and hopefully Chelsea can purchase a striker or two. Looks like a mini clear out is happening also, so more room for some more players, or instead freeing up funds for the strikers, and comply with ffp?.. we shall see.

i wasn't filled with the same excitement at the end, as i was with the West Ham victory, i guess the West Ham win was a more romantic, fairy tail ending.
Agreed. The City match was just nerve wracking, West Ham's achievement, despite it being a "lesser" cup was arguably greater considering the rest of their season. City were expected to win it, but only just managed it. But they now seem able to win ugly, which is apparently the mark of champions. We will be going for the quadruple next season. :D

Agreed. The City match was just nerve wracking, West Ham's achievement, despite it being a "lesser" cup was arguably greater considering the rest of their season. City were expected to win it, but only just managed it. But they now seem able to win ugly, which is apparently the mark of champions. We will be going for the quadruple next season. :D

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if you did. It's 80-1 at the moment, according to twitter, so might be worth a few pounds.

Now the dust has settled, and the achievements of the season are done, I realise that it will never get better than this. In 1976, I saw us win the first trophy of my life, and 35 years later our next. Now we are multiple PL winners, treble winners, the only domestic quadruple winners, the record points winners, record goal scorers, and more. It is hard to take in for someone like me, raised on 'typical City', but I am eternally grateful that I got to witness it, especially that I got to witness it with my son.

My only desire for the future is that we manage to integrate more players from our exceptional academy set up. I think we have several that can make it: Dada-Mascoll; Ndala; Bobb; Aleyne, and a few others. I hope that Palmer, now free of injury, is given more of a chance, and that the returning James McAtee, following a successful spell at SUFC, is given some game time. It is hard for these guys to break in because the standard is so high. Phil Foden has shown the way but he is truly exceptional and will, I imagine, be moved into central midfield next season, especially if Bernardo leaves, as is expected. There is also speculation about Gundogan and Mahrez, and those three will take some replacing.

The last few months here have also been a pleasure, so thank you to all who contribute.

Now we are multiple PL winners, treble winners, the only domestic quadruple winners, the record points winners, record goal scorers, and more.
The one record that City and Pep really want belongs to Chelsea and imo will never be broken.;)
Season 2005/6 Champions with a (then record) of 95 points - 15 (yes only FIFTEEN) goals conceded over 38 matches.
The way the game is played now I just don't see any team even getting close to that.:cool:

The one record that City and Pep really want belongs to Chelsea and imo will never be broken.;)
Season 2005/6 Champions with a (then record) of 95 points - 15 (yes only FIFTEEN) goals conceded over 38 matches.
The way the game is played now I just don't see any team even getting close to that.:cool:

I doubt that will be broken, certainly not by us.

Nah, I reckon the ‘67 Celtic team are the ones to beat - from Sportingnews.com:

That incredible achievement with the European trophy (by Man U) now only been matched by rivals Manchester City's latest triumph. Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Bayern Munich (twice), Barcelona (twice) and Inter Milan are the continental teams to have done so. Also, Celtic went went one further in 1966/67 by doing the quadruple.

Thinking about the outstanding charges against City, it’s striking me as becoming increasingly irrelevant. There is just so much money behind them that they can fight any legal charges pretty much infinitely.

Look at what has happened in golf.

Football has a massive moral vacuum, it will always sell itself to the highest bidder. I sincerely hope that some good could come out of it, namely the banning of betting sponsors & wider association.

It’s utterly pointless bleating about it or defending the situation as it’s far too late. A pretty sad state of affairs but it’s not the fault of the fans.

Thinking about the outstanding charges against City, it’s striking me as becoming increasingly irrelevant. There is just so much money behind them that they can fight any legal charges pretty much infinitely.

Look at what has happened in golf.

Football has a massive moral vacuum, it will always sell itself to the highest bidder. I sincerely hope that some good could come out of it, namely the banning of betting sponsors & wider association.

It’s utterly pointless bleating about it or defending the situation as it’s far too late. A pretty sad state of affairs but it’s not the fault of the fans.

Though this is true (sentence 1), these are not legal charges, they are alleged rule breaches. Most have no idea what they are but 115 is a number I have heard a lot in the last two days.

I hear a lot about time-barring. Those who make the accusation that City were only found not guilty by CAS because of time barring miss the point - time barring means the evidence cannot be heard, AND nor can it be defended. City were found guilty ONLY of non-cooperation with UEFA, and the original 50m fine was reduced to 9m because CAS accepted that City refused to provide further information because it was being handed to third parties, which prejudiced the case.

The latter is true, and although it is pretty meaningless to fossils like I, City has now been named as the most valuable sporting brand of all, and now has 42.1 million following the club on Instagram, the 2nd highest in the Premier League. The club has had a meteoric rise so the accusations of sponsorship not being of fair value are really gone - based on these issues, the clubs sponsorship levels, kit deals, and so on, should be just about the largest in the game. The repeated negativity from certain journalists in the UK has not stalled worldwide growth. Sooner, or later, journalists like Miguel Delaney will have to pack up and go home - his repeated assertion that City are state owned is simply false.

The PL is much of the root of this problem. When the previous head of the FA stated that the PL needs a strong Manchester United, you could see that the focus of the PL was money, it was never about competition. I buy into the product as a fan, but I absolutely hope there comes a time when the game is opened up to the working-classes once more. If I take my lad to the game, a single game, I am in to 150 including travel, and I only live down the road. I earn decent money but that is simply not affordable to me, and I won't go to the game without him. Billion dollar hedge funds or nation investment funds is irrelevant - the money is obscene and fans want the clubs to invest, and invest BIG.

advertisement

Back