advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

It's the upsets and surprises which makes our leagues such a good product to watch.

You are right, however, the big 6 don't really want this. They only want more money and more dominance, so much so that they are now forming their own "super league". They can't comprehend that the best leagues have the best competition spread across the whole league. The Premier League actually needs to be more evenly balanced in terms of money distribution to stop the big 6 from widening the gap. For me, the gap is already too big. Otherwise, it gets to a point where upsets are few and far between, if ever. It then becomes boring.

We got rid of Jose! But I wonder why Levy pulled the trigger less than a week before a cup final, even if it is only the Caribou. Someone else lined up, perhaps?
HOWEVER, after the Super League announcement, I give zero fs. Even if (as I suspect) it all blows over and was really just a negotiating ploy to screw more money for the big clubs from the Champions League, Levy was ready to sell out the club and our history. Levy is the problem now.
I suspect Mourinho doesn’t agree with the breakaway idea and was embarrassed by the whole thing, so was sacked for not supporting it.

I’m no football fan, but this does appear to be ‘top news’ today.
A long discussion on ‘The World at One’ ( Radio 4 ) caught my ear.
One commentator said is was about 3 things
“Money, money, money.”

I recall during the Lockdown a football pundit saying that football an industry, not a sport.
I’ve always felt it’s all about profit.
Venture capitalists buying clubs just to make money, and the players being paid
appalling amounts of money.

What happened to sport ?

I suspect Mourinho doesn’t agree with the breakaway idea and was embarrassed by the whole thing, so was sacked for not supporting it.

Yeah, maybe Brian. I really don't know. I wonder what the other managers from the "Big 6" think about it? Klopp and Guardiola are not usually backward at coming forward. And the players, especially if they lose the opportunity to play for their countries? All the ex-players I've seen and read in the last day are against it.

Yeah, maybe Brian. I really don't know. I wonder what the other managers from the "Big 6" think about it? Klopp and Guardiola are not usually backward at coming forward. And the players, especially if they lose the opportunity to play for their countries? All the ex-players I've seen and read in the last day are against it.
It’s easy for an ex player to be against it but a current player or manager under contract has no say in it.

I can’t remember but was there this much uproar when the PL took over the old First Division from the EFL?

Also FIFAUEFA getting all angsty about something that threatens them but really not giving a shit when comes to any racism matters.

I’m finding it hard to give a shite at the moment. 6 clubs PL in it now, if they increased it to 10, those extra 4 slots would be filled in seconds.

I love football but the way it’s going I can see me cancelling my BT Sports with Virgin and just sticking to photographing and playing it from now on.

Think he was sacked for doing a poor job. Not that it matters, they’re one of the big 6 anyway. Must be based on that lovely stadium they’ve built. It’s built for the Super League. Can’t have actual title winners like Leicester playing there can they?

You are right, however, the big 6 don't really want this. They only want more money and more dominance, so much so that they are now forming their own "super league". They can't comprehend that the best leagues have the best competition spread across the whole league. The Premier League actually needs to be more evenly balanced in terms of money distribution to stop the big 6 from widening the gap. For me, the gap is already too big. Otherwise, it gets to a point where upsets are few and far between, if ever. It then becomes boring.

The US franchise model seems to work looking at the numbers. Once in a closed league the value of these clubs will double overnight. Ultimately it is TV revenue , not what local fans want that matters. Most of these English clubs fans are overseas and have little interest in the locale of these clubs .

Have not followed professional team sports for the last few months. After a lifetime of being a fan, have simply lost interest.

Today’s news about this new league strikes me as a bit sad (for supporters of domestic competitions), but predictable (because of the money involved).

This has been on the news all day and even the politicians are getting involved... like they have nothing else to do. I appreciate it may be top news if you're a football fan, but why a proposed new league in a sport many of us have little or no interest in should make up the top four stories on the BBC News website at midday today is utterly beyond me. I tried to listen to what it's all about on the news broadcasts, but my 'couldn't give a shit' filter just had me glazing over.

I do hope that the same forces which inspired English exceptionalism can gather together to knock this on the head.

ROTR+280583+001.jpg

There are some things worth fighting for.

Government should pass law that say in 5 years time clubs must be owned 50% plus one share by fans. 10% every year. Okay it will cost some money but so does (will) Brexit. Don’t let Johnny Foreigner suck great English clubs into an EU super league.

It seems such a political no-brainer I think it might just happen. Unfortunately it may mean a second BJ government but I’d put up with that to be still able to follow United and not hate them.

It’s a complex old game.

.sjb

There is an opportunity for the managers of those other 5 clubs to make a stand if they don’t support the idea. They could all walk away, after all, they’ll all get another job easily enough. Doubt it will happen though, just lots of moaning.

The US franchise model seems to work looking at the numbers. Once in a closed league the value of these clubs will double overnight. Ultimately it is TV revenue , not what local fans want that matters. Most of these English clubs fans are overseas and have little interest in the locale of these clubs .

You have to look at the total of the US model. The draft, revenue sharing, contract agreements etc etc, to see if anything remotely similar is being proposed. It's still necessary for US teams to be located in large metropolitan areas and to get state or city subsidies for the grounds.

How naive!
This is a football thread, everyone else is friendly here and manage light hearted banter among more serious discussion but not you.

You must be the most obnoxious individual on this forum. Go back to slobbering in your horlicks, you silly old git. Take your bullying and argumentative bullshit to another thread.

Think he was sacked for doing a poor job. Not that it matters, they’re one of the big 6 anyway. Must be based on that lovely stadium they’ve built. It’s built for the Super League. Can’t have actual title winners like Leicester playing there can they?
Could be that as well as my suspicion, we may find out in a few days.

Mourinho is a good manager, Spurs is a bit of a selling club so there is only so much you can do. They bring in top managers but don’t seem to want to go the extra mile with backing them.

I would have thought Boris would have more pressing things to worry about than chairing meeting about it. I suppose it is good publicity. Personally I couldn’t care less but then football holds no interest for me,

advertisement

Back