advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Real Madrid boss
"When you don't have any income other than from television, you have to find a solution to make more attractive matches that fans all over the world can watch with all of the big clubs," said Perez.

"Young people are no longer interested in football. They have other platforms on which to distract themselves."

Ah, maybe they plan to put the matches up on YouTube and make money off the ads.

At a £110 for a home shirt it's hardly surprising. They wouldn't know what sustainabilty means without looking it up, there's just no serious governance in football.

It's a new league model that's designed for the benefit of the owners of the clubs, inspired by greed, and at the detriment of the fans. Combined with the fact that the chairman of said clubs involved are running this shit show, just proves that it stinks from the ground up. It's the beginning of the end for me as a football supporter, even though my memories and my 'club of old' will always remain in my heart.

I assume that the Board had decided they were going to make a management change no matter what happened in the Cup Final. There is clearly unrest and division within the team dressing room. If Spurs won the cup under Mourinho, it would, for him, be justification of his ways and methods. The Board decided they cannot risk that outcome and it was better he went right away. On the TV footage of Jose unpacking his car yesterday, he looked forlorn. £15m on the drip for the next 12 months means he won't go short looking for a new job. He loves living in London, but now has very limited options there and within the Premier League. I watched the Netflix All or Nothing documentary and I thought Levy came across well -he was approachable and mixed well with the players and management. Unfortunately, Jose came across as very divisive and the series title was apt in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy has a replacement already lined up and it is announced today. Perhaps even a manager until the end of the season such as Rafa Benitez.

Also, they don't need to worry about finishing in the top 4 now. Can't help thinking that Jose cut a slightly sad figure when he was putting out pictures of his previous titles around his office when he took over. He came across as yesterday's man hanging on to old triumphs. He seemed more pally with the players (on front of the cameras obviously) than I thought he would be. Levy came across as a bit star struck and possibly spending too much time around the players and coaching staff. Again, it could've all been for the cameras.

I'd thought that Jose was past his best even before joining Spurs but then seeing them top the table back in November had me thinking I was wrong but i'lll go back to my previous opinion. I do think he's over the hill.

It looks like Levy was left with a very unhappy dressing room and a manager who was not delivering what was needed - a top 4 finish or a Champions League place by winning the Europa League. Spurs are heavily in debt with the new stadium financing, plus the money made available to Mourinho for the squad. They really need Champions League money to finance the debt. Mourinho and Co will have a 12 months severance pay-off. He will effectively be paid on the drip for the next 12 months or until he takes another managers job within that period. Levy had to decide whether to hang on to Mourinho until the end of the season or make the cut now. Every week Levy delays making that cut costs the club another weeks salary for the management team. That will easily be £3-500k weekly....

As a Newcastle fan, I will be very happy to see the 6 EPL teams go and play with each other. However, they must go for that alone and not be allowed in any domestic competitions. They can't have their cake and eat it. Without the 6, the EPL will be more evenly matched and there will be much more chance of teams beating each other. That's a good thing in my book. I do feel for the genuine fans of the 6, since this is not their making. However, I think the 6 already have too much power and dominance as it is and this new ESL will only make matters worse.

As a Newcastle fan, I will be very happy to see the 6 EPL teams go and play with each other. However, they must go for that alone and not be allowed in any domestic competitions. They can't have their cake and eat it. Without the 6, the EPL will be more evenly matched and there will be much more chance of teams beating each other. That's a good thing in my book. I do feel for the genuine fans of the 6, since this is not their making. However, I think the 6 already have too much power and dominance as it is and this new ESL will only make matters worse.

I think that's a misunderstanding Stuart. I doubt that the tv rights for the EPL would be anywhere near as lucrative without the 'top 6' considering more tv money being drawn to the super league. That would begin a spiral downwards with existing debts becoming unmanageable for most teams.

The phrase 'The Game Has Gone' seems to be popular at the moment, it went in 1991 IMO. SKY were instrumental in the setting of the Premier League but their pundits cry when the regime they created is threatened. You only have to look at the ownership of the clubs involved, big business, a foreign regime trying to cleanse their image abroad or Roman and his ill-gotten gains. What do they care about 'The English Game'?

I continue to support my club, midtable championship, demographically probably where they belong, but the love I used to have for the Sport has gone. Where once I would have been outraged at the thought of a break away Euro League, I'm struggling to shrug my shoulders.

Cheers BB

I predict a few tasty protests between now and the end of the season at the grounds of the six greedy bas*tards - particularly before,during and after their remaining PL home matches.
All genuine football fans should show their contempt by completely ignoring the Rumbelows Cup Final at the weekend.

The cartoonist Matt sums it up quite nicely.

Money has become all-important in the PL so we should not be too surprised at the breakaway. However, this should come at a cost to the 6.

I would like to see the 6 expelled from the PL plus domestic cups and no admission to the EFL. Let the US model have a chance in Europe and watch it fall flat on its face. I feel a lot of sympathy for the fans of the 6 - they are the people who are really suffering in this.

If my club went bust I would be delighted, no lore ruined weekends;)

My club went bust in 1986, luckily a large multinational company rescued us for the good of their workforce, along with a local businessman who has pumped millions into the club over the years.

Cheers BB

I think that's a misunderstanding Stuart. I doubt that the tv rights for the EPL would be anywhere near as lucrative without the 'top 6' considering more tv money being drawn to the super league. That would begin a spiral downwards with existing debts becoming unmanageable for most teams.
I don’t think Sky would survive it if they didn’t buy into it.

I think it would be interesting to see how it would play out. It seems to me that allot of UK football fans would be reluctant to subscribe to the ESL TV rights. Of course, the world subscription would be different - something like 50% of the EPL viewers are not in the UK nowadays. I would be happy to see the EPL tv rights income reduce - clubs would need a period of time for adjustment over the present contract commitments etc. I've no problem with that and don't see why it couldn't be achieved with a sensible approach between the club owners and TV Rights Broadcasters.

As much as I want to see the 'big' 6 PL teams p1ss off, I don't actually see this happening. There will be a compromise struck somewhere down the line whereby they get a bigger cut of the cakes in turn for withdrawing from the ESL format. That outcome will only widen the gap to the other league participants and for me make the leagues more unfair and even more predictable in terms of the 'big' 6.

Not Amazon then:
EzbAWQGUYAMR0id

...for the moment...

I think it would be interesting to see how it would play out. It seems to me that allot of UK football fans would be reluctant to subscribe to the ESL TV rights. Of course, the world subscription would be different - something like 50% of the EPL viewers are not in the UK nowadays. I would be happy to see the EPL tv rights income reduce - clubs would need a period of time for adjustment over the present contract commitments etc. I've no problem with that and don't see why it couldn't be achieved with a sensible approach between the club owners and TV Rights Broadcasters.

As much as I want to see the 'big' 6 PL teams p1ss off, I don't actually see this happening. There will be a compromise struck somewhere down the line whereby they get a bigger cut of the cakes in turn for withdrawing from the ESL format. That outcome will only widen the gap to the other league participants and for me make the leagues more unfair and even more predictable in terms of the 'big' 6.

David Goldblatt seems to think that it may not have been a negotiating move but more a collective failure:

"This scandalous announcement may not have be the product of a sort of prisoner’s dilemma, in which multiple actors who don’t trust one another end up making a bad collective decision for fear of being left out."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...d-european-super-league-football-billionaires

I think the ESL have forgotten what was said a long time ago......

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

advertisement

Back