advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

It’s notable that PSG and Man City haven’t signed up yet. They don’t need the money as they are effectively UAE and Qatar state sides with unlimited funds.

The big Spanish and Italian sides have a broken financial model, are massively in debt and need an influx of cash. For the English sides, including my team, they are owned by US interests only interested in generating money, and this is the big kahuna for them. They would likely sign up and then cash out at a vastly inflated price.

It’s notable that PSG and Man City haven’t signed up yet. They don’t need the money as they are effectively UAE and Qatar state sides with unlimited funds.

The big Spanish and Italian sides have a broken financial model, are massively in debt and need an influx of cash. For the English sides, including my team, they are owned by US interests only interested in generating money, and this is the big kahuna for them. They would likely sign up and then cash out at a vastly inflated price.

BBC say City have

3.5 billion euro for each club signing up.
Original 6 from England, plus 3 more expected.

Joel Glazer in charge FFS!

If this comes to pass it’s Goodbye City.
Macclesfield here I come.

All the clubs involved have left the European clubs association and are officially no longer members of UEFA.

no way back now.

As such, they have forfeited the CL and qualification for it next year too.

"According to the ESL, the new format will involve midweek fixtures, with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, “preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game”

I bet they don't. I thought they were all already moaning that the schedule was too busy? How are they going to fit this in as well?

Reading more this morning - this new European Super League would replace the current Champions League and be played mid-week. All the teams still want to retain their domestic league presence, but I expect they would want to dictate which cups they play in and the rest periods before fixtures etc. As I explained in post #3533, I'm happy if the 5 or 6 PL Teams want to go. However, they go for that alone and they lose their domestic league and cup places. I think the Premier League would survive well without them and it would actually be better with teams more closely matched in terms of finances and squad ability. If it happens, I'm looking forward to next season already!

As it is, I don't actually watch much Champions League at present with it being on BT Sport. I wouldn't really miss it, but Newcastle are miles away from the times we were involved at that level . That's Mike Ashley for us.

I can understand that these club owners are ( in some cases ) investing huge sums and failure to qualify for the Champions League is a huge risk to that investment however the ethos of the sport is that you are in the league your in by merit and qualify for competitions in the same manner. The excitement will dissipate if that's taken away something F1 has been battling against in some measure for some time. F1 has taken the right response trying to change the rules to closen up the racing and also limit spending as i understand it. FFP was the right way to go but some clubs just made a mockery of the rules and EUFA did not come down hard enough on these clubs. Greed has eaten the whole system as it has in every aspect of normal life and will ultimately end up destroying what we love.
I strongly suspect LFC and JW Henry are at the heart of this and as a supporter of Liverpool for 50 years I am somewhat dismayed. FIFA EUFA FA etc bear lots of responsibility too they are corrupt organisations themselves , crying foul that the clubs may no circumvent their power and revenue streams.
The whole thing is a sorry mess
All that said there should be sanctions for the way the clubs have acted and i would not mind if all these teams were relegated by two divisions as punishment.

Oh dear, this breakaway will end in tears. Whilst I am not an ardent football fan, I do watch the occasional big game, this proposed venture is going to be one unholy mess.

So these twelve teams think they can have their own super league and yet continue to play in their respective leagues? Unbelievable, greed, disregard for the history of their respective leagues and what that all stands for. They have a lot to answer for.

Fan groups associated with all six English clubs involved in the European Super League proposal are strongly opposed.

Liverpool supporters' group Spirit of Shankly (SOS) said it was "appalled" by the decision of Fenway Sports Group, the club's US-based owner. In a social media post, SOS said: "FSG have ignored fans in their relentless and greedy pursuit of money. Football is ours, not theirs. Our football club is ours not theirs."

Chelsea Supporters' Trust called the move "unforgivable" and said its members and "football supporters across the world have experienced the ultimate betrayal".

The Arsenal Supporters' Trust called the club's agreement to join "the death of Arsenal as a sporting institution", while Manchester City's Official Supporters Club said the move showed "those involved have zero regard for the game's traditions", adding it was "determined to fight against this proposed Super League".

The Manchester United Supporters' Trust had earlier said the proposals were "completely unacceptable" and the ESL "goes against everything football, and Manchester United, should stand for".

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust said the ESL was a "concept driven by avarice and self-interest at the expense of the intrinsic values of the game we hold so dear".

advertisement

Back