advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Two good teams , first team to score was likely to win , wonder if we can get Mason Mount on loan next season?
Tuchel has really organised that defence and made a big difference.

Weird season, this the same Chelsea team put to the sword by the Baggies recently... wonder what Frank Lampard is thinking?

I only caught the second half of the FA cup tie yesterday, City looked well off their normal pace & high standard of play - the Dortmund game must have taken its toll which is natural I suppose? I’m sure Pep won’t complain if they just win the EPL and UCL this season tho?

Yeah, the team loses it’s rhythm when there’s so many changes. We finished the 2nd half looking the stronger team but I can’t think of many clear cut chances we created. There weren’t any overlapping runs from the wide players with a cross into the box that I can remember either. That’s been a staple method of creating chances but I’ve not seen much of it for while. Wondering if we’re starting to run into a brick wall at the business end of the season.

@Woodface congrats on your 2 nil win today.
My football apathy combined with an afternoon at the pub meant that this is first I heard of this excellent result. Some goal from Bacuna who is a mercurial talent to say the least.

WOW! Was not expecting that.

I was expecting Chelsea to play deep and hopefully get a goal on the break, but Chelsea went toe to toe with Man C. We out Man-Citied Man City. Brilliant team performance, deserved win and a sign of some potential going forward

Foden was Man City's best player yesterday, IMO.
It could have been a different game, had Walker and Foden started.
Chelsea deserved to win.

I only caught the second half of the FA cup tie yesterday, City looked well off their normal pace & high standard of play - the Dortmund game must have taken its toll which is natural I suppose? I’m sure Pep won’t complain if they just win the EPL and UCL this season tho?

The league is always the main target for any club with the resources to challenge for it, the rest is just gravy. PL is far from over despite what most are saying.

My concern for Man City would be how Fernandinho seems to be playing on the edge at times.
He's still a terrific player, but maybe age is finally taking it's toll.
The Chelsea players did not make a lot of a few big challenges, but you can be sure a top Champions League side will.

Foden was Man City's best player yesterday, IMO.
It could have been a different game, had Walker and Foden started.
Chelsea deserved to win.

Phil made a huge difference, just a shame that KDB had to make way for him. TBH, I was surprised he started yesterday with his hamstring injury record. It sounds odd but he’d have to do even more running playing in a weaker team to try & make up the difference. Think we could’ve done with an extra day of recovery from mid-week.

Anyway, it’s done now and time to move on to the Villa match. It’ll be tricky at their place but a win would put the pressure back on Man Utd and set us up for the EFL final.

We go again.

Damn, just seen that KDB has ankle injury.

Another interesting Pep team selection - shades of Lyon.

Congrats to Chelsea not only for getting to the final but stopping City's quadruple or (proper) treble ambitions. Over to you Jose.

I really hope UEFA stand firm and carry out their threats to the so called Super league teams that the clubs will be chucked out of all domestic football and their players banned from international football.

I really hope UEFA stand firm and carry out their threats to the so called Super league teams that the clubs will be chucked out of all domestic football and their players banned from international football.

More likely that’ll they cave in and ‘allow’ the 6 clubs to play x amount of Euro Super League games but not allow them to enter the domestic cup competitions instead. That would suit the ‘big 6’ down to the ground.

The PL has more attractive and competitive clubs than any other league, so our league will suffer the most.

This is going to get very messy.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-sign-up-to-european-super-league-report-says

"Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have agreed to join the new league. The only member of the “big six” not to have signed up is Manchester City, the paper said, citing sources with knowledge of the development."

Spurs - 7th
Arsenal - 9th
At least Liverpool scrape into the picture in a genuine 6th position.

Yeah, I know it’s not based on current or even final league positions but hopefully you get my point.

The UEFA statement seems that all the European leagues are in full agreement. The premier league have also separately announced that the European league contravenes the premier league rules.

Much as I’d like to think City are not part of it I suspect they are. I haven’t seen them come in support of the German or French teams against it.

The Super League will be of much less interest to genuine fans than their country leagues and I think that will be true for most countries. This is a greed based transaction to sell globally. I can see the big 5 or 6 having seperate teams for the local league.
I hope it all goes tits up ...

advertisement

Back