advertisement

Alcohol Risk

Ah, those were the days:)

"Hamilton famously won the 1953 event in a Jaguar C-Type shared with Rolt. Initially, the pairing were disqualified for practising in a Jaguar that had the same racing number as another on the circuit at the same time, but they were reinstated. Hamilton's account has become a motor racing legend: when Jaguar team manager Lofty England persuaded the organisers to let them race, both drivers were already drunk in a local bar. England said: ”Of course I would never have let them race under the influence. I had enough trouble when they were sober!” When the race was under way the team tried to sober Hamilton up by giving him coffee during the pit stops but he refused it, saying it made his arms twitch; instead he was given brandy. The alcohol must have helped when he struck a bird face first at 130 mph and broke his nose. It is wonder how the pair managed to drive at all but more wondrous still is that the pair won. What’s more, they recorded the first 100 mph average speed at Le Mans, winning at a record pace! Both England and Rolt have denied that they were drunk"

The then future Mrs BM once sat next to Duncan Hamilton at a Jaguar club lunch - heady days eh?

Cutting down TV viewing by one hour a day will give as many health benefits as cutting out booze, ceteris paribus. One problem with the advice is that there are many variations in lifestyles. I drink about 20 units a week, but go to gym 5 days a week. One compensates I feel for the other. If I stopped both would I be any healthier than the average overweight bloke, I doubt it.

The advice can't take variations into account and has to average things out, but I will cut out mid-week boozing as I did last year.

"Hamilton famously won the 1953 event in a Jaguar C-Type shared with Rolt. Initially, the pairing were disqualified for practising in a Jaguar that had the same racing number as another on the circuit at the same time, but they were reinstated. Hamilton's account has become a motor racing legend: when Jaguar team manager Lofty England persuaded the organisers to let them race, both drivers were already drunk in a local bar. England said: ”Of course I would never have let them race under the influence. I had enough trouble when they were sober!” When the race was under way the team tried to sober Hamilton up by giving him coffee during the pit stops but he refused it, saying it made his arms twitch; instead he was given brandy. The alcohol must have helped when he struck a bird face first at 130 mph and broke his nose. It is wonder how the pair managed to drive at all but more wondrous still is that the pair won. What’s more, they recorded the first 100 mph average speed at Le Mans, winning at a record pace! Both England and Rolt have denied that they were drunk"
The safest way to mix cars and alcohol (and possibly some weed)...

The-Big-Lebowski_KB_Jeff-Bridges_jelly-shoes.bmp-1024x607.jpg

This barrage of health 'advice' that we get nowadays from the Government is unfortunately more than tiresome. It has a more insidious effect, potentially ratcheting up the ante. For example, the piratically opportunist insurance industry is bound to jump on the bandwagon - admit to drinking a couple of bottles of wine a week, and they now have the perfect excuse to ramp up your insurance premiums.

Why can we not be treated as adults? I am sure that most people are sensible and intelligent enough to be able to weigh up the risks of whatever it is that they choose to do, be it for work, or pleasure - drive cars, walk the dog, ride bicycles, climb mountains, eat bread, eat meat. Everything carries some degree of risk. If you smoke, and continue to do so, it will probably kill you, maybe when you are young, if not, when you are old. If you enjoy a few glasses of wine with your supper, it almost certainly won't.

That brings back memories. Hamilton's autobiography Touch wood! was in the local library. The man seemed to have an almost magnetic attraction for strange situations.

They do refer to them as "rules" though, which will just wind people up. I'm trying to work out how I can do this...

"However, the new rules now state that both men and women should drink no more than 14 units over the course of three days or more. This is the equivalent of a bottle and a half of wine over the course of a week.
The rules also say that it's best not to "save up units" and drink them all in one go and to make sure you have alcohol-free days."

Can't save up units but I need alcohol free days. Do they supply a calculator?

I think it works like tax so if you can convince the wife to lay off the sauce for a week you can have her 14 units as well.

Naturally, the gays and the unmarried miss out but that's Cameron's Christian Britain for you.

I'm a fairly light drinker. The drunkest I've ever been was after my leaving do when I left the Liverpool Careers Service, shortly before Mull started there. I 'lost' a few hours and felt so dreadful for several days that I was never tempted to repeat the experience.

That brings back memories. Hamilton's autobiography Touch wood! was in the local library. The man seemed to have an almost magnetic attraction for strange situations.

Indeed, and there in lies the conundrum; the world would be both a safer but significantly poorer place without the likes of Duncan Hamilton :D

Barry, ladies attending Jaguar Club lunches are definitely the right sort and smart of you not let her get away.

“Tory ministers are determined that the Coalition does not repeat the mistakes of the previous Labour government and risk being seen as bossy and curbing individual liberty...."

It's getting Bloody ridiculous.
Tonight I will eat a steak (carcinogenic) well seared (carcinogenic) lathered with salt (killer) and butter (still a killer or has it been reprieved?). I will wash it down with several glasses of red wine (carcinogenic) and follow it with tiramisu (containing carcinogenic alcohol) and oodles of extra double cream (killer).

And I couldn't give a toss what the health Nazis say.

Excellent

You are doing everything you can to minimise the cost to the State of your old age pension.

Keep up the good work. 😄

I feel sorry for your family though...

Simon

I bet he lives longer than many a miserable bugger. Cheers.

My dad ate a cooked breakfast every morning. He liked a steak and a bottle of red too. He once told the doc that because there were so many germs around he made sure that the air he breathed was filtered through a hot cigar! He made 93.

Glass of fizz with my breakfast this morning, sunbathing all day, a Dorrada and some pringles (delicious and nutritious) an hour ago. Watching dolphins swim by in the Strait.

Oh dear wifey just said lets go to the bar . . .

Anyone else playing Russian roulette?

I'm going to be seriously annoyed when I'm dead

I think it works like tax so if you can convince the wife to lay off the sauce for a week you can have her 14 units as well.

Naturally, the gays and the unmarried miss out but that's Cameron's Christian Britain for you.

Tony, can we have a "like" button?

A glass of red wine a day is good for you, alcohol at any level is bad for you... When will they make their minds up?

It's all bollox really, just scaremongering. If you really look at the evidence, the health risks of drinking responsibly, that means not going out and getting rat arsed every week or drinking a bottle of wine every night, are still very, very small.
It has been known for a long time that drinking in excess is bad for you, as is eating too much and smoking, but it doesn't stop people and never will.

I DJ and run live sound at a local venue, many of my regular crowd are well into their 60s/70s and are a picture of health, these people don't abuse alcohol but they do drink around the previously recommended weekly allowance.

On the other hand, a friend of mine died on Christmas Eve aged 30 from a heart complication, he never drank alcohol at all, or smoked. Similarly a musician friend of mine, drank juice when we were performing, he was a health freak and fit as a fiddle, but in the summer 18 months ago he dropped dead whilst on a bike ride over Cannock chase.

Sometimes we have to take small risks in order to enjoy our lives, life is too short not to.

And for all those who want to see all pubs and bars closed down whilst we all live in a sterile box eating vegetables and drinking water (until we are told eating vegetables and drinking water increase your chances of getting cancer), I don't, it's my bloody livelihood.

Why can we not be treated as adults? I am sure that most people are sensible and intelligent enough to be able to weigh up the risks of whatever it is that they choose to do, be it for work, or pleasure - drive cars, walk the dog, ride bicycles, climb mountains, eat bread, eat meat. Everything carries some degree of risk. If you smoke, and continue to do so, it will probably kill you, maybe when you are young, if not, when you are old. If you enjoy a few glasses of wine with your supper, it almost certainly won't.
Unfortunately many do not and by their actions directly harm others - drink related violence, reckless driving, second hand smoking

advertisement

Back