advertisement

Alcohol Risk

Simon Vess

pfm Member
At long last....the official advice is that alcohol is unsafe at any level...hopefully, within time, alcohol will become as socially unacceptable as smoking, and be seen for what it is..a poison

Western society, and in Britain especially, alcohol is so deeply embedded in culture, that anyone who questions this alcohol consumption is viewed with incredulity in most cases

Also, I hope this will quickly lead to sane policy on drinking and driving, i e make it unacceptable to drive with any amount of alcohol. Of course for practical reasons, the level will need to be set a small amount above zero, but the notion that as a society that we are wiling to accept 80 mg per litre of blood as safe will be viewed , with hindsight , for the insanity it represents

Simon

You're probably right Simon. We must aim to make the life experience 100% safe, hopefully the EU will make an additional human right that each person is guaranteed a life of at least 95 years.

Seriously, I do think you're right though and hopefully we can take steps to phase things like alcohol out. It's a shame but impossible to defend, we will just have to get used to going through life at all times with all our senses intact and no temporary impairment to our perception of the world around us.

Can I offer you a licence for your pet fish?

Paul

In principle, if folk want to poison themselves, I have no problem with that. In fact I would actively encourage it. The population would benefit from anything that would reduce the size of it. The real issue for me is the effect on others, ie the cost to the taxpayer via the NHS, as well as the violence , and other problems caused to third parties

As far as drink driving is concerned , a lot of folk believe that owning and driving a motor vehicle is a human right, not a privilege granted, via the driving licence, and society thus has every right to decree that anything that increases risk to innocent third parties be sanctioned.

As far as I am concerned, any driver who drinks and kills or injures him/herself gets what they deserve

Simon

They'll be wanting to ban car transport next, due to the increased risk of crashes/accidents. Don't do this, don't do that, do this, do that, blah, blah, blah rubbish, mostly. The media story changes almost every day with another white paper produced. My view is that you should enjoy your life, because if we lived by way of all of this advice, it would only be an existence. Some people wouldn't even leave their homes.

It's getting Bloody ridiculous.
Tonight I will eat a steak (carcinogenic) well seared (carcinogenic) lathered with salt (killer) and butter (still a killer or has it been reprieved?). I will wash it down with several glasses of red wine (carcinogenic) and follow it with tiramisu (containing carcinogenic alcohol) and oodles of extra double cream (killer).

And I couldn't give a toss what the health Nazis say.

Stuart

I agree with you. In theory there is absolutely no reason to drink any alcohol at all but sipping whisky and drinking a glass of wine makes our short time on this planet much more enjoyable.

If we did ban alcohol, the world would be full of miserable old geezers who would spend all their time on pfm moaning about everything under the sun.

That would be a bloody nightmare.

So drink and be merry and if you die young at least you died happy.

Regards

Mick

It's getting Bloody ridiculous.
Tonight I will eat a steak (carcinogenic) well seared (carcinogenic) lathered with salt (killer) and butter (still a killer or has it been reprieved?). I will wash it down with several glasses of red wine (carcinogenic) and follow it with tiramisu (containing carcinogenic alcohol) and oodles of extra double cream (killer).

And I couldn't give a toss what the health Nazis say.

Huzzah, don't forget a large cohiba!

Worth pointing out to our more reactionary tabloid types that this is advice, not legislation. No one is suggesting banning alcohol! If there is, as in this case, hard scientific evidence that alcohol usage is on the whole not a good thing it would be entirely wrong to suppress it. This is not "the nanny state" or whatever, it is just knowledge. Use or ignore based on your own intellect, attitude, personal taste etc.

Merlin, we don't all drink ourselves into oblivion to blot out the hopelessness of existence. One or (steady now) maybe two glasses of wine is actually pleasant. Alcohol content aside, these are tasty beverages.

Worth pointing out to our more reactionary tabloid types that this is advice, not legislation. No one is suggesting banning alcohol! If there is, as in this case, hard scientific evidence that alcohol usage is on the whole not a good thing it would be entirely wrong to suppress it. This is not "the nanny state" or whatever, it is just knowledge. Use or ignore based on your own intellect, attitude, personal taste etc.

They do refer to them as "rules" though, which will just wind people up. I'm trying to work out how I can do this...

"However, the new rules now state that both men and women should drink no more than 14 units over the course of three days or more. This is the equivalent of a bottle and a half of wine over the course of a week.
The rules also say that it's best not to "save up units" and drink them all in one go and to make sure you have alcohol-free days."

Can't save up units but I need alcohol free days. Do they supply a calculator?

Damn, I was just about to stroll over to the poolside bar for a small Dorada, now I will to have 2 or 3 pints to wash away the guilt.

advertisement

Back