advertisement

Alcohol Risk

Worth pointing out to our more reactionary tabloid types that this is advice, not legislation. No one is suggesting banning alcohol! If there is, as in this case, hard scientific evidence that alcohol usage is on the whole not a good thing it would be entirely wrong to suppress it. This is not "the nanny state" or whatever, it is just knowledge. Use or ignore based on your own intellect, attitude, personal taste etc.

Quite

The Daily Torygraph front page attacking the nanny state was well wide of the mark

Methinks a nerve has been touched here....

Simon

It's getting Bloody ridiculous.
Tonight I will eat a steak (carcinogenic) well seared (carcinogenic) lathered with salt (killer) and butter (still a killer or has it been reprieved?). I will wash it down with several glasses of red wine (carcinogenic) and follow it with tiramisu (containing carcinogenic alcohol) and oodles of extra double cream (killer).

And I couldn't give a toss what the health Nazis say.

Excellent

You are doing everything you can to minimise the cost to the State of your old age pension.

Keep up the good work. 😄

I feel sorry for your family though...

Simon

We need alcohol free alcohol.

It can't be that hard to develop a substitute that tastes like good wine or whiskey, without the actual alcohol in it.

Stuart

I agree with you. In theory there is absolutely no reason to drink any alcohol at all but sipping whisky and drinking a glass of wine makes our short time on this planet much more enjoyable.

If we did ban alcohol, the world would be full of miserable old geezers who would spend all their time on pfm moaning about everything under the sun.

That would be a bloody nightmare.

So drink and be merry and if you die young at least you died happy.

Regards

Mick

Al the evidence shows that banning simply does not work....as with other drugs

Education is the key ( along with freedom to make one's own choice)

As I alluded above, I would actively encourage anyone who wants to curtail their own lifespan, the problem I have is when the effects have a negative impact on others

Simon

It's getting Bloody ridiculous.
Tonight I will eat a steak (carcinogenic) well seared (carcinogenic) lathered with salt (killer) and butter (still a killer or has it been reprieved?). I will wash it down with several glasses of red wine (carcinogenic) and follow it with tiramisu (containing carcinogenic alcohol) and oodles of extra double cream (killer).

And I couldn't give a toss what the health Nazis say.

Enjoy your steak and red wine sounds perfect, lives for living.

How do you know? What gives you enjoyment?

I've tried many things Cav over the years.

Friends. Nature. Great food and drink. All things that are best appreciated with senses intact IME. Indeed all of those things can IMHO be better appreciated when under the influence of something that enhances the senses rather than dulls them.

I'd agree with James though that fine wine is indeed wonderful - it would be even better were it not to have an impact on one's cognitive abilities IMHO.

We need alcohol free alcohol.

It can't be that hard to develop a substitute that tastes like good wine or whiskey, without the actual alcohol in it.

It's already available. At midnight on New Year's Eve, I drank a bottle of alcohol free pink champagne with three other people who have given up booze. We gave up drinking, because are alcoholics and it was going to kill us.

This was the first time that I'd had alcohol free champagne and it tasted great. I gave up drinking booze 21 years ago and know many who have died from drink and drugs. I guess that the new alcohol guidelines won't go down well with a lot of people though.

Jack

At long last....the official advice is that alcohol is unsafe at any level...hopefully, within time, alcohol will become as socially unacceptable as smoking, and be seen for what it is..a poison

Western society, and in Britain especially, alcohol is so deeply embedded in culture, that anyone who questions this alcohol consumption is viewed with incredulity in most cases

Also, I hope this will quickly lead to sane policy on drinking and driving, i e make it unacceptable to drive with any amount of alcohol. Of course for practical reasons, the level will need to be set a small amount above zero, but the notion that as a society that we are wiling to accept 80 mg per litre of blood as safe will be viewed , with hindsight , for the insanity it represents

Simon

Mr Vess, you are a miserable, miserable bugger.

In principle, if folk want to poison themselves, I have no problem with that. In fact I would actively encourage it. The population would benefit from anything that would reduce the size of it. The real issue for me is the effect on others, ie the cost to the taxpayer via the NHS, as well as the violence , and other problems caused to third parties

As far as drink driving is concerned , a lot of folk believe that owning and driving a motor vehicle is a human right, not a privilege granted, via the driving licence, and society thus has every right to decree that anything that increases risk to innocent third parties be sanctioned.

As far as I am concerned, any driver who drinks and kills or injures him/herself gets what they deserve

Simon
None of that has anything to do with the revised advice from government.

I'm pretty sure that such righteous indignation is a greater risk to your health than a few glasses of wine. Chill out for the good of your family.

Paul

Many years ago, my younger brother went to see the doctor about a tremor that had developed in one of his hands. The doctor asked the usual questions re lifestyle, diet etc, then said 'How much alcohol do you drink, on average?' My brother thought for a bit, and replied, 'I'd say about ten pints of beer.' 'Ten pints a week?' asked the doctor. 'Ten pints a day' said my brother, 'plus a bit more at the weekend.'

The doctor told him he had incipient DTs and suggested he cut down a bit.

Quote: Dr Thomas Stuttaford 2001

‘The polyphenolic compounds found in wine - particularly the flavonoids - are responsible for a large proportion of the reduction in cardiovascular disease death rate. They may also help prevent wine drinkers from developing other conditions, in particular they may reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease.

A regular modest alcohol intake, especially of red wine, not only helps provide a longer life, but a life where the brain remains active into old age. The Societes theory is based on the premise that it is only polyphenolic compounds in wine - particularly on the skin of the grape, which wine producers keep in the making of red wine - which are beneficial.However, the alcohol itself is responsible for at least 50% of the protective effects against cardio-vascular disease, plus helps the body absorb the wines all important antioxidants.

Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol derived from sources other than wine also leads to longer and intellectually brighter life. Changes in the health of alcohol drinkers which can be demonstrated include a reduction in the stickiness of platelets (the particles involved in clotting), levels of fribrinogen (another factor in clotting) and in the balance of the good cholesterol versus the bad in blood.’

Ah, those were the days:)

"Hamilton famously won the 1953 event in a Jaguar C-Type shared with Rolt. Initially, the pairing were disqualified for practising in a Jaguar that had the same racing number as another on the circuit at the same time, but they were reinstated. Hamilton's account has become a motor racing legend: when Jaguar team manager Lofty England persuaded the organisers to let them race, both drivers were already drunk in a local bar. England said: ”Of course I would never have let them race under the influence. I had enough trouble when they were sober!” When the race was under way the team tried to sober Hamilton up by giving him coffee during the pit stops but he refused it, saying it made his arms twitch; instead he was given brandy. The alcohol must have helped when he struck a bird face first at 130 mph and broke his nose. It is wonder how the pair managed to drive at all but more wondrous still is that the pair won. What’s more, they recorded the first 100 mph average speed at Le Mans, winning at a record pace! Both England and Rolt have denied that they were drunk"

I've tried many things Cav over the years.

Friends. Nature. Great food and drink. All things that are best appreciated with senses intact IME. Indeed all of those things can IMHO be better appreciated when under the influence of something that enhances the senses rather than dulls them.

I'd agree with James though that fine wine is indeed wonderful - it would be even better were it not to have an impact on one's cognitive abilities IMHO.
Right, back to the LSD then. :D

An NHS person was explaining the new recommendations on BBC R4 this morning. She explained (and I paraphrase) that the suggested maxima were chosen to reduce the risk of death/serious illness in the average person to the same as the risk from any other activity "such as driving". One might suggest that is a very low level of risk.

What concerns me is that what started (rightly) with smoking and now reaches into drinking will soon extend to diet (bacon, cheese, butter). Is this the thin end of a wedge? At some point, will there be a "duty of personal care" such that NHS treatment will be charged or withheld for people who exceed recommended limits?

What I do know is that, regardless of what I eat and drink, I will die at some point...

advertisement

Back