advertisement

Air Fryer

We got an airfyer a couple of weeks ago, as a chef I used to be sniffy about them, but its a revelation. Oven has not been on since.

In terms of selling to people with ovens already the maths seem simple to me, my oven used circa 4.5k watts to heat up and around 2k watts just ticking along. And airfryer uses 1.8k watts and works in less than half the time.

Oh and the food coming out is on a large magnitude better.

^^ Mine were the Tesco finest, and while I’d normally need a good three sausages - and I was only experimenting - I found two was enough. At least in part because they do retain the fat.
Mmmm, Tesco Finest sausages. They really are quite superb, and cook brilliantly in our air fryer. 200deg, 12 minutes, & turn them a couple of times.

Sausages in this house made by me! I find tescos ones too firm, and texturally challanging.

Sausages in this house made by me! I find tescos ones too firm, and texturally challanging.

Ginger pig online butcher are delicious- although we make our own lamb ones in the air fryer (skinny kofta really)

I bought one when it was on offer, I always forget to clean it out though which means when i think of using it it needs a clean so I end up not bothering. On average it gets used once a fortnight I'd say, usually for a baked potato or warming up some fishcakes.

Mmmm, Tesco Finest sausages. They really are quite superb, and cook brilliantly in our air fryer. 200deg, 12 minutes, & turn them a couple of times.
Blimey, that's quick. I'll have to try mine again but I'm fairly convinced it would take close to twice that.

I do remember that one factory where I worked a while back saw me redeveloping a sausage recipe, it was a small step up in quality from a standard catering, mine were 52% meat, standard catering and legal min is (or was then) 50%. They were sold frozen and cooked by deep frying for 8 min from frozen. This gives maximum speed and maximises yield (minimal cooking losses) and 8 min from frozen in oil at 200 deg C will leave a core that's still *very* slightly pink. If your air fryer can cook in air in 12 minutes then it's very quick indeed.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just seen in the book that it should have a spit as well; i'll see if the original owner has it and maybe try a guinea fowl in there.

The concept of an oven with smaller surface area for heat loss sounds sensible.

Sausage and chips in the rolling basket could be a good trial too.

Just seen in the book that it should have a spit as well; i'll see if the original owner has it and maybe try a guinea fowl in there.
what brand air fryer had a spit? We did a roast guinea fowl in ours turned out more moist than the oven. But we still prefer pot roast guinea fowl. or confit the legs and pan fry the breasts with morels and marsala wine

Sausage and chips in the rolling basket could be a good trial too.
Ooh, get you! Rolling basket! Mine is just a big glass bowl with a radiant heater and a fan, which is probably why it's not as quick as the fancy dancy £200 versions with rotating tungsten carbide squibknocket twizzlers.

This is the baby.

I made a mistake over chirstmas of buying and airfyer that did all these different functions and it was good at none of them. Dont fall for that trap. You'll never do a spit cooking ever.

This is the baby.

I made a mistake over chirstmas of buying and airfyer that did all these different functions and it was good at none of them. Dont fall for that trap. You'll never do a spit cooking ever.
Are you saying that this £269 item in the link is the one you bought, with all the different functions? If so, that's a rather expensive affair if as you say you don't use the features.

They are all the same feature in reality. The one I had before was basically a grill trying to offer air fry functions .

This one is an air fryer through a through. Way quicker. Chicken wings ten minutes. Lovely!

This is the baby.

bought the previous model of yours, £130 in John Lewis. So far, tried chunky chips but spuds not the best, will try white spuds next time. Tonight's pasta bake is spot on, looking forward to experimenting some more with this fellah.

it was a close call between yours and GT's previous suggestions on another thread. JL had around 7 different Ninja models on display and some would not suit our available space, so thanks to both of you

We started with a Cosori one and it was so good we hardly ever used our oven. Now we’ve got an air fryer toaster oven and are getting rid of the old conventional oven. It can toast, air fry, bake etc. Its got a rotisserie which can take a medium sized chicken. Also a kebab rotary thing. Anyone want to buy a range cooker:)

bought the previous model of yours, £130 in John Lewis. So far, tried chunky chips but spuds not the best, will try white spuds next time. Tonight's pasta bake is spot on, looking forward to experimenting some more with this fellah.

it was a close call between yours and GT's previous suggestions on another thread. JL had around 7 different Ninja models on display and some would not suit our available space, so thanks to both of you
Maris probably best for chips, A bit against the whole airfry thing but put them chipped into cold water then bring to just boil then drain and put onto a dry tea towel.

Ideally refrigerate over night then spray with oil and airfry.

advertisement

Back