advertisement

Air Fryer

I have a Ninja thingy coming in the next few days and I can't sleep thinking about Jay Rayner's review and the reality that I won't be able to create haute cuisine with it.

Regarding chips, the quality of output hugely depends on what brand you buy and the type of chip. McCains Skinny fries are excellent and we like Tesco Finest ones. Home made wedges turn out very well using Frylite.

We really like ours, we eat little processed food and my wife in particular is a pretty exceptional cook.

It’s handy to have something smaller than our range cooker to cook the odd thing. For instance on Saturday I put a frozen pan au chocolat (from France!) in the air fryer, it came out perfectly cooked after just a few mins of switching it on.

It’s great at reheating slices of pizza, naturally made at home using a sour dough starter, Caputo flour and originally baked in the Ooni.

Given that the perfect chip is par boiled and twice fried in dripping rendered from the fat around calf's kidneys, I always suspected that brushing them with rapeseed oil and baking them in a very hot oven was likely to be a compromise too far.

...now there's an idea. We have the forerunner of these, a halogen oven and given a cold, limp croissant is a disappointing croissant, I might experiment with a crisping up technique to brighten breakfast.

Airfryer 3 mins at 150 Outside crisps up just a bit but inside is nice and warm and airy

According to the Rayner article an air fryers is around £0.34 an hour cheaper to run than a conventional oven, and the chips are rank. How desperate are people that they need to save £0.34 and hour and eat disgusting chips. And why are the British so obsessed with cheap greasy food?

I no longer own a deep fat fryer but Greek Chips (made from par boiled sliced unpeeled potatoes fried in rapeseed oil in an omelette pan on the induction hob) are splendid on the odd occasion I need a chip with my haggis and beans.

According to the Rayner article an air fryers is around £0.34 an hour cheaper to run than a conventional oven, and the chips are rank. How desperate are people that they need to save £0.34 and hour and eat disgusting chips. And why are the British so obsessed with cheap greasy food?
It can't be greasy, can it?

Like half the population I bought a Tower air fryer over the weekend. So far I’ve done chicken drumsticks, bacon, and tonight homemade sweet potato fries and a couple of sausages.

The sausages cooked so quickly they stayed moister than any other method; the drumsticks were juicy; the fries were slightly dry but tasty and very low in oil; and the bacon was crisp and on the point.

Tomorrow I’m testing a moussaka ready meal, and then a microwave jacket potato finished off in the air fryer. All of these I wouldn’t be bothered putting the oven on for.

I didn’t think I would be, I’m impressed.

ps. word on the street is, chicken nuggets are the best ever!

If the temperature is low, the food will be subjectively more greasy. That's why you need to cook chips a few at a time or in an absolute vat of very hot oil.
Sorry, I meant in an air fryer which uses none to very little oil.

sausages cooked so quickly they stayed moister

I guess choice of sausage is key. Most 'artisan' sausage contains rusk (along with the claimed superiority of the pork) and I find the pan needs a bit of fat to prevent sticking. When my mate coeliac Keith stays I get in Aldi sausages because I know them to be gluten free. I've learned to cook them for a long time in a dry pan. They throw a lake of fat that would otherwise be eaten with quicker cooking methods including, I suspect, a few minutes in an air fryer.

The Tesco premium pork sausage is excellent ( 10 pack). A lot of allegedly premium ones ( with onion, apple etc) are frequently worse and have skins so thick and inedible they could be better used as prophylactics

cooking: these days I use Panasonic combi microwave and never the cooker grill. Start with combination of Microwave low+ grill medium for about 4 min then another five min with grill only. They’re cooked through and the skin nicely browned. Too much microwaving and they’ll end up as hard as police truncheon at a miners’ strike.

^^ Mine were the Tesco finest, and while I’d normally need a good three sausages - and I was only experimenting - I found two was enough. At least in part because they do retain the fat.

We have the Ninja Foodi – don’t know how we ever did without it! Purchased on special offer from John Lewis.
Does air-frying, grill, roast, baking etc. Absolutely brilliant, especially with sausages

Ninja foodi for over a year, love it! Chicken wings, drumsticks, anything really. Far better than the gas oven. Air fried veg is also excellent, as are oven chips. I would never be without one now. Quicker to cook, cheaper to cook, tastier too. Whats not to like?

advertisement

Back