advertisement

Air Fryer

Still applies. A teaspoon of lukewarm grease tastes greasier than something exposed to high temperature and made crispy, even if the latter is dripping oil.
Well my ninja arrived yesterday so I'll report back - greasy or otherwise.

Well my ninja arrived yesterday so I'll report back - greasy or otherwise.
I'm very sure that the results will be crisp and not greasy. High temps and high airflow will do that. As a case in point, potato crisps are 30% fat and are crispy. Meanwhile fry a freshly chopped onion in a teaspoon of oil at a low temp. Far less oil, much oilier.

I read that article. I've (well, we've) carried on trying to make the air fryer work for chips and found using oven rather than frying chips works better - entirely edible results in fact, and better than in a proper oven. Also some places (Iceland?) now sell chips designed for air fryers. I wonder if these gadgets were incorrectly marketed and should have been called air ovens?

Mrs cj recently picked up a basic air fryer, no other functions.
The few cooking sessions she's tried so far have left her delighted. "Faster, cleaner, better" is her conclusion.

They should never be thought of as “fryers”. better to think of them as turbo ovens. I often do a few oven "fries" - the thin ones - in ours. shake a couple of times to get them all golden. add grated cheese at the end for a couple of minutes & voila "cheesy fries"

Folks,

So my marksy's fish cakes say 25 minutes at 180c in a fan oven.....so what do I do with an air fryer (assuming its an 'x' in 1 type - fry/bake/reheat etc), i.e 180 on the 'bake' function for some time, 180 on the 'air fry function'?

S

I got one with Nectar points and do use it regularly. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the best results but I am getting there. A baked potato part cooked in the microwave and finished off in the air fryer is really good and very quick to cook this way. The biggest issue against them is the size and I now wish I had spent my cash and bought one of the Lakeland compact models. Fortunately, I can stick it in a corner, out of the way, in my kitchen.

We’re almost at the point of ditching our range cooker and getting just a hob. We have air fryer, microwave, pressure cooker and slow cooker and there’s just two of us so why do we need a double oven 7 burner range cooker (it was in the house when we bought it)

Anyone still using an air fryer?

We've just rehomed a Tower air fryer to try out the concept; it cooks reasonably well but does chuck out a lot of heated air compared to our conventional oven. I know it's only 2kW as opposed to the 2.5kW of the conventional cooker but it does appear to be drawing power for a lot of the time it's on.

Maybe try some chips in it later in the week but so far a bit underwhelmed.

We've just rehomed a Tower air fryer to try out the concept; it cooks reasonably well but does chuck out a lot of heated air compared to our conventional oven. I know it's only 2kW as opposed to the 2.5kW of the conventional cooker but it does appear to be drawing power for a lot of the time it's on.

Think of the energy saved not having to pre heat.
Jamie Oliver started a new series of a show last night on Channel 4 dedicated to using air fryers.

I am. They aren't all the same. Mine doesn't chuck out any hot air, it's just a big glass bowl that gets hot and has a radiant heater and a fan. Works brilliantly with things like chicken portions and sausages, even if it is just a small fan oven.

we are seriously considering getting rid of the slot in cooker and replacing it with hob and using the space for something else. We only use the top oven to warm plates...

Surely the air fryer is capitalism's answer to the question 'how do we sell ovens to people who already have perfectly good operational ovens?
Well, yes, but I have a kettle in addition to a saucepan, I have a toaster in addition to a grill and I have more than one bicycle even though I simply can't get the hang of riding 2 at once.

advertisement

Back