advertisement

Air Fryer

Wom written all over them if you ask me. Chips should be dripping with oil, not oxygen, CO2 and a desultory collection of inert gases.

Yes, for several years - a Phillips that gets daily usage.

Works great for Fries/Chips, Broasted Potatoes, Chicken Wings, Egg rolls and the like.
Kids love it for things like Hotdogs, Sausage patties, Hashbrown patties, Mozzarella sticks, Pizza bites etc.

Hmmm maybe I was right to hesitate: not buying one just for chips.

I thought the same thing about getting a rice cooker.

Until I got one.

Edit: Well, and equivalent thing - I didn’t think the rice cooker would do chips!

Subtle difference: rice cooker works on the same principle as putting rice in a pot with water and boiling. Air fryer is a glorified oven that uses heat (air) but not oil.

We had a Tefal Actifry a few years ago and, after adjusting to the different taste of chips, used it every week until it burnt itself out beyond repair (they do get very hot inside!).
Took it to the tip and got a deep fat fryer instead.

I thought the same thing about getting a rice cooker.

Until I got one.

Edit: Well, and equivalent thing - I didn’t think the rice cooker would do chips!

Doesn't clinch the deal. We eat more rice than chips. And a rice cooker is a lot cheaper than an air fryer.

We had a Tefal Actifry a few years ago and, after adjusting to the different taste of chips, used it every week until it burnt itself out beyond repair (they do get very hot inside!).
Took it to the tip and got a deep fat fryer instead.

Used it every week and then replaced it with something else ? That is a deal breaker !

Doesn't clinch the deal. We eat more rice than chips. And a rice cooker is a lot cheaper than an air fryer.

Mine wasn’t. It was a birthday-present-to-self kind of thing, and I thought sod it, if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it properly.

So I got one of these.

My OH is generally against spending money on anything at all, yet alone that much on something to cook rice when we have perfectly good saucepans in the cupboard. Yet even she now (only semi-ironically) comments on how great it is virtually every time we use it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don’t like the taste, or rather lack of it, from shop bought oven chips but figured out how to make my own and not have to buy an air fryer, basically I was banned from doing so. Just chip the spuds, dry them put them in a bowl then put a small amount of oil in and mix them up until evenly covered, bung them in a microwave for five or six mins, chuck in oven on baking paper at 220C middle shelf no fan, turn a couple of times and about twenty five minutes later lovely chips and no mess.

We got a Tefal ActiFry a few years ago. Huge and useless. Chips were rubbish and we ended up giving it away. Last year we tried a Cosori air fryer due to the great reviews on Amazon. not so huge and does a good job with sausages but not much else. Like the Tefal, rubbish at chips. I don't think we've used it for months so just sits taking up space.

I do like the Remoskas, though, low power consumption, do pretty much anything an oven can do (meat joints, baked spuds etc all good), but I still wouldn't bother putting chips in it. And don't get me started on juicers.

Really ? And here we were all thinking your speciality was hot air !!

Couldn't resist, Mullardman, and not aimed at you. If it pisses you off, I'll delete it.

We got a Tefal ActiFry a few years ago. Huge and useless. Chips were rubbish and we ended up giving it away. Last year we tried a Cosori air fryer due to the great reviews on Amazon. not so huge and does a good job with sausages but not much else. Like the Tefal, rubbish at chips. I don't think we've used it for months so just sits taking up space.
It would appear Jay Rayner agrees with you.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-fryer-they-are-dull-dry-and-very-sad-as-am-i

Both Rice Cooker and Cosori air fryer here. Both excellent. Dont make the silly mistake of thinking an air fryer is only good for chips. Try to get a large-ish one.

advertisement

Back