advertisement

Aesthetics - how important are they?

If you don’t like my car aesthetics, maybe you’ll like my HIFI instead... if not, we can’t be friends!

MSPPGHU.jpg

dls4Txg.jpg

What no LP12 LINNfomaniac!??

I could live with something hideous if it sounded amazing, on the flip side it wouldn't matter how good it looked if it sounded rubbish.

I certainly take it into account though and as long as it sounds right then I will do my best to make it look right.

What no LP12 LINNfomaniac!??
Nope, that was sold along with my Klimax kit so as I could afford a decent sized bungalow... I’m not feeling in a rush to get another either, I really, really like the new Rega P10, I know my old LP12 was better... but you’re talking £8-9K used for the spec I had, which is just madness, I built up to that level over a long period so didn’t feel it, but it’s still madness. The system I have here is a nice sweet spot, it’s not crazy money and it sounds very good (you’ll have to take my word for that).:D

Argh! I have CNC milled boxes *and* blue LEDs!

Yeah, but that’s some of the most solidly built and elegant looking kit ever made in my opinion, I’d have appreciated green displays and lights on mine but it never actually bothered me... I’ll go down the Klimax route again when the world, and my financial situation is looking a bit better.

Nope, that was sold along with my Klimax kit so as I could afford a decent sized bungalow... I’m not feeling in a rush to get another either, I really, really like the new Rega P10, I know my old LP12 was better... but you’re talking £8-9K used for the spec I had, which is just madness, I built up to that level over a long period so didn’t feel it, but it’s still madness. The system I have here is a nice sweet spot, it’s not crazy money and it sounds very good (you’ll have to take my word for that).:D

Just get a Thorens TD150 like I use! Same difference and Linn copied it anyhow, via Ariston who copied it before Linn and were then ripped off by Ivor of course. I reckon it's at least as good as the original LP12 I had years ago, with the red push button and the "bonnet prop" to hold the lid up...

Aesthetics are my first barrier to ownership, if I don't like the look of it nothing else matters.

Looks, price, performance, in that order.
I have a slightly different order. Looks > performance > price.

Performance is more or less directly correlated to price, and I'd rather have more performance if I can afford the price. So price is my last consideration.

I bought some Leak speakers years ago, 3020 I think, because they looked cool with a recessed panel carrying the tweeter in relative position to the bass / midrange, something to do with the speed of sound or something tecno daft.

What’s the view on the look of the black Croft boxes? Timeless simplicity or hair shirt? I’m in the former camp.

I’d be the same. I have a top level LP12, but if I needed the money and had to sell it, I’d not get another at a later date. Bought mine forty years ago and very slowly built it up - I couldn’t afford a new one of the same spec.

Mick

There are clearly some brands that know what good looks like: Densen, Linn and Naim in the 80/90s, Micromega and a few others. So what amazes me is the clueless, ugly amount of stuff there is out there.

What’s the view on the look of the black Croft boxes? Timeless simplicity or hair shirt? I’m in the former camp.

Hair shirt at its finest, when we're the black boxes introduced? They all used to be wooden front panels with the input selector centrally placed with a volume pot each side, one for each channel, then there was a series of amps with polished stainless cases and black acrylic front panels with a single volume pot.

Despite traditional home audio being in decline, there remains countless choices for most every budget. This means, with just a bit of extra effort, we can all find something that looks as good as it sounds. I prefer understated looks (Naim black boxes) and classic mechanical designs (Thorens TD-124), but can appreciate other visual designs as well.

Just get a Thorens TD150 like I use! Same difference and Linn copied it anyhow, via Ariston who copied it before Linn and were then ripped off by Ivor of course. I reckon it's at least as good as the original LP12 I had years ago, with the red push button and the "bonnet prop" to hold the lid up...
That’s a tempting proposition, Big Tabs’s Heybrook TT2 sounded pretty excellent (via one of your 651p Turbo phono stages) too. I do like the way the higher level Rega offerings soundthough, or rather how they don’t... they don’t sound like a digital source, you’re definitely aware you’re listening to vinyl, but they just don’t seem to add any character (or resonances) of their own, I do like the deck I already have and I’m pretty smitten with the little P10... but how much is a TD150? got to be worth a punt at some point!

I’d be the same. I have a top level LP12, but if I needed the money and had to sell it, I’d not get another at a later date. Bought mine forty years ago and very slowly built it up - I couldn’t afford a new one of the same spec.

Mick
Yes, mine was an early 2000s deck (in lovely maple), in the end it had a Lingo 2, Keel, Ekos SE and an Ortofon Cadenza Black, and it did sound amazing... but then my “lowly” P5 is still capable of making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, I played “Love Over Gold” on it for a friend the other day and he was totally mind blown, so given that I can still get a lot of the kicks at a fraction of the price, the thought of spending sports car money on a turntable again is a hard pill to swallow, so I probably won’t... well maybe I will, time and financial fortune will tell.

That’s a tempting proposition, Big Tabs’s Heybrook TT2 sounded pretty excellent (via one of your 651p Turbo phono stages) too. I do like the way the higher level Rega offerings soundthough, or rather how they don’t... they don’t sound like a digital source, you’re definitely aware you’re listening to vinyl, but they just don’t seem to add any character (or resonances) of their own, I do like the deck I already have and I’m pretty smitten with the little P10... but how much is a TD150? got to be worth a punt at some point!

The Heybrook TT2 is excellent yes. I don't know how much TD150's go for these days actually... I have mine in an ex Trio plinth made of a mineral loaded resin type stuff. Arm is an AT-1005 MkII and main cart a Technics EPC-300MC.

advertisement

Back