advertisement

Aesthetics - how important are they?

That would be a terrible waste. Get it working and enjoy the sound, too!
Yes, I have a vague idea of obtaining and restoring to working condition some of the hifi that got me interested in my youth. I’ve just won an Armstrong 626 receiver on eBay which will be where I start. I remember our next door neighbour’s Armstrong system of my teens. The first hifi which actually looked cool, to me. B&O stuff definitely features in those plans.

I can’t stand anything with plexiglass or gold lettering and/or knobs. Electrocompanient, that Marantz turntable, audio note amps.

that said, I wouldn’t not buy one if it was the right product at the right price. I may have AN amplification in my future (I wish I could choose a different font! It’s the worst!)

Yes, I have a vague idea of obtaining and restoring to working condition some of the hifi that got me interested in my youth. I’ve just won an Armstrong 626 receiver on eBay which will be where I start. I remember our next door neighbour’s Armstrong system of my teens. The first hifi which actually looked cool, to me. B&O stuff definitely features in those plans.

Nice:) I've always thought it odd that these are not more sought after...

Having thought on about this I also think some of it comes down to what sort of general style people like and how their choice of hi-fi fits in with that. If you have a Victorian house with all the period features a huge lump of bling isn't going to fit in with it whereas in a modern glass led apartment it might well do. I guess we're all different, but definitely some people seem able to live with incongruity more than others and I definitely can't. To me a hi-fi system needs to blend in to its surroundings to an extent and I have been guilty of not observing that protocol in the past as much as I would like and finding it annoys me. Speakers are a necessary evil I guess, but I recently swapped out some Neat Motives for some Naim Allaes and as much as I prefer the sound of the Allaes in that room and in that system I can't help but hanker after the tiny (in comparison) Neats from an aesthetic perspective (good job I kept them). It's finally made me decide to get a grip on my aesthetics and put them first from now on. I am moving my Naim system to my office (which will never be an aesthetic marvel anyway) and replacing it with a minimalist aesthetic led system in the main listening/living room. A couple of black boxes, the Gyrorbe and some active ATCs will fit the bill nicely. I know the ATCs are quite large and people hate the metal grilles, but to me they sit well proportion wise and I rather like the industrialised design with the grilles. The black boxes need to be uber minimalist ... Hegel Mohican CD player and an aesthetically matching pre-amp.
My ATC40S have a grey metal cover which matches the spiked plinths, in cherry they look pretty good. I am pretty sure your system will sound great once up & running.

I think my Beomaster 8000 looks – and sounds – stunning. No protruding ugly knobs, everything hidden under the alu bonnet.
Honestly this is the best looking piece of hi-fi I’ve ever seen.
188193.jpg

Lid opened (my picture).
b7567272-c1e6-11e5-9ab6-a09e3bc026a1.jpg

...always found B&O stuff totally unappealing - bland and decidedly awkward, about as ergonomically tedious as top loading cassette players.

...always found B&O stuff totally unappealing - bland and decidedly awkward, about as ergonomically tedious as top loading cassette players.
Not sure which era B&O you mean, I’m not a real fan once you get into the nineties. But the 70s and 80s stuff, yes!

What’s the point spending big bucks on hifi if it looks shit.

It's function is the reproduction of music in the "closest approach to the original sound" possible. What it looks like is completely irrelevant. The casework is merely a box which houses the actual hi fi equipment, the bit which matters. which is an assortment of circuit boards and wires etc.

It's function is the reproduction of music in the "closest approach to the original sound" possible. What it looks like is completely irrelevant. The casework is merely a box which houses the actual hi fi equipment, the bit which matters. which is an assortment of circuit boards and wires etc.

Agreed, but on a premium cost item such as audiophile-grade hi-fi why put up with poor quality, lazy or shoddy design? If I’m paying proper money for something I want every single aspect to be well thought out and implemented; inside, outside and long-term serviceability-wise. No excuses for anything less IMHO.

Couldn't agree more, Jez.

S.

Only half the story I'm afraid.
People have to be able to use the stuff safely - i.e. access the means to connect disparate pieces of the setup, control the parameters (on/off, input choice, volume, for instance)
These other aspects have to be considered when designing the requirements of 'the box' - so inevitably will have an impact on 'the look'
Aesthetics and ergonomics are inevitable consequences of any manufacturing process - to wilfully ignore them is to be an inept and poor designer.

Ooh yes - I had the 600 series amp and tuner separates back in the ‘seventies!

As an aside to all this I often see especially DIY gear (but also some commercial gear!) which has been sorely compromised in it's performance by peoples obsession with making it look neat and symmetrical! Critical wiring being made double the length it need be and routed right next to a mains transformer etc just to avoid a lop sided looking layout...

well the fact i have a silver Rotel amp paired with a very black older Rotel CD I can only presume how it looks is not a major issue for me I prefer to e joy the music when i can

advertisement

Back