advertisement

Aesthetics - how important are they?

For me aesthetics can be hard to pin down. I appreciate and enjoy the design aesthetics of old B&O kit, and the classic QUAD 33/303/FM3 combo which I have in my office, but my main system is all valve - Jadis amp, EAR phono stage, Shanling CDP - a totally different aesthetic, and a downright ugly jumble some may say, but for me there is nothing like listening to good music in a darkened room, sipping a decent whisk(e)y, accompanied by the gentle glow of a dozen thermionic valves.

I don't hate them enough to remove them from functioning units! Bizarrely, to me, I have had amps etc in from customers with my instructions being to replace say the yellow LED's with green ones! That anyone gives a flying fook about that enough to pay to have the colour of LED's changed is way beyond me.... The customer is always right they say... There was even someone asking for somebody to do just this on their car stereo here on pfm a few days ago!

BTW Arkless Turbo is pretty meaningless... It's Arkless 640P Turbo or Arkless GTI turbo.

Told by the previous owner 'definitely a 640P Turbo'.:)

I reject 90% of hifi stuff because I don't like the look of it.:oops:

I prefer speaker like BBC designs, Tannoy Prestige and (big) Studio Monitors (Gold Monitor, Cheviot, Arden), Klipsch Heritage, Living Voice, Trenner & Friedl, Audio Note, and some Italian designs and Odeon from Germany.

As amplifier designs I prefer something like Croft, Naim, Air Tight, Lavardin, Sugdenless bling, exceptions are some Italien valve designs (my Unison S6 MKII) or something like Luxman and Accuphase. I don't like displays and blue and/or other bright LED.

Turntables designs like Linn LP12, Chris Feickert, Bauer DPS are my favorite designs.

Blue light also doesn’t focus onto the retina, I believe, which is why you can’t see a blue LED as a discrete point, it is always a bit fuzzy. In nature, blue things tend not to be objects, but fields (sky, sea) which is perhaps why we didn’t evolve to resolve them as clearly as longer wavelengths.

Edit, Kingfisher, noted!

Cornflowers ?
Forget-Me-Nots?
Bluebells?

Style over substance has no place in my system. I prefer the industrial look which is just as well as I prefer to make my own kit if I can. Much of the bought kit I have looks like it’s been made in someone’s shed too :D I prefer green leds as I find them more peaceful. I’m changing some green
leds on a friend’s phono stage next week to match his Bel Cantos. Blue of course:eek:

I don't hate them enough to remove them from functioning units! Bizarrely, to me, I have had amps etc in from customers with my instructions being to replace say the yellow LED's with green ones! That anyone gives a flying fook about that enough to pay to have the colour of LED's changed is way beyond me.... The customer is always right they say... There was even someone asking for somebody to do just this on their car stereo here on pfm a few days ago!

BTW Arkless Turbo is pretty meaningless... It's Arkless 640P Turbo or Arkless GTI turbo.
The car ones were actually part of the centre console and to make the new part match the rest of the interior, I will take the job on but only on the understanding that I might have to fit some new ones. He wants the LEDs moved from the old part to the new one but there’s no guarantee they’re the same pitch or that there are the same quantity or that they won’t be compromised/killed by the hot air needed to remove them. I can understand why he’d want to keep the backlighting colour consistent on one panel in his car... probably better off buying a working used part though.

Cornflowers ?
Forget-Me-Nots?
Bluebells?
When you get up close, these are mostly a pinky, purplish blue, not a true blue. The only true bright blue flower I can think of is the Himalayan Poppy. Then again, flower colours are designed to attract insects, so operate in a different spectrum. My point is rather that, had there been significant amounts of blue occurring in a small scale in nature, and in circumstances where it mattered to humans (eg, food, threats) our eyes would probably have evolved to focus it better.

The car ones were actually part of the centre console and to make the new part match the rest of the interior, I will take the job on but only on the understanding that I might have to fit some new ones. He wants the LEDs moved from the old part to the new one but there’s no guarantee they’re the same pitch or that there are the same quantity or that they won’t be compromised/killed by the hot air needed to remove them. I can understand why he’d want to keep the backlighting colour consistent on one panel in his car... probably better off buying a working used part though.

It wouldn't bother me personally...

When you get up close, these are mostly a pinky, purplish blue, not a true blue. The only true bright blue flower I can think of is the Himalayan Poppy. Then again, flower colours are designed to attract insects, so operate in a different spectrum. My point is rather that, had there been significant amounts of blue occurring in a small scale in nature, and in circumstances where it mattered to humans (eg, food, threats) our eyes would probably have evolved to focus it better.

Did you know that priests socks are the only true black ones and that all others are just very, very, very, very dark blue?

You’re not a car guy though! ;)

More that I'm not a "it has to look right" guy! The "boy racer" thing where they go to great lengths to try and make a shitty Fiat Uno or whatever look sportier by adding weight in completely useless styling accessories has me exasperated and foaming at the mouth....

More that I'm not a "it has to look right" guy! The "boy racer" thing where they go to great lengths to try and make a shitty Fiat Uno or whatever look sportier by adding weight in completely useless styling accessories has me exasperated and foaming at the mouth....
I’m a car guy but I like everything to look factory original... modifications that improve performance however, bring them on!

I’ve had quite few young lads pull up next to me in my golf and try and race me off the lights (It’s a yellow GTI, like a red rag to a bull for them), it’d beat them in stock form, but mine isn’t stock, and it leaves them for dust.

esvh4an.jpg

Even funnier was when a Citroen C2 pulled up next to this, loud exhaust, popping little flames (from a flame kit he’d installed)... I let him get a head start.:D

7TBkqNT.jpg

advertisement

Back