advertisement

Aesthetics - how important are they?

tiggers

pfm Member
Having been looking through the recommendations on my pre-amp thread over the weekend I have come to realise how massively important aesthetics are to me with my choice of hi-fi. I have discounted half of the suggestions in that thread as I just couldn't look at them every day. I did the same when looking for a top class CD player, the sound of the Rega Isis is amazing, but I would not give its looks house room. Same with the McIntosh gear, it just looks too fussy to be in my life every day. I am a Naim man mostly as some of you will know and while they will never win a design award (in my book anyway) they are minimalist, neat and black and that suits me fine. None of the above is meant as a detrimental comment about the products mentioned, it's just personal taste, but I wonder do others on here even worry about aesthetics or am I an extreme example?

It matter a great deal, the quality of build and external design is a sum of the whole and reflects the designers intentions to detail.
I personally like a classic timeless design, ideally with silver fascia and black top/sides. My current amps manufacturer hasn't changed its 'look' in nearly 30 years.
The amp was made in c2015, in late 2019 i ordered a PSU for it. The fit and finish and (anodising tones) are 100% identical, which if not bugs the shit out of me.

Yes, agree, aesthetics are very important. Back when I was first dipping a toe in these waters, I was recommended to check out the Sugden A21. This was back when it still looked like it was made from old biscuit tins and military surplus knobs and switches. The look repelled me so much I didn’t even listen to it. Things might have gone differently if I had done, perhaps.

That said, I’ve also bought items whose looks, while not hideous to my eyes, were not to my taste at the time. Specifically, Accuphase and Albarry. I quickly forgave the eccentric looks because of how they performed and, in the case of the Albarry, I also quickly came to love the look (of the power amps, at least). I’ve gone on to admire the looks of the Accuphase rather than like them, and am about to reintroduce them to my system.

There are some items of kit I could still not give house room to, and these days it’s usually when the look is over-styled and overwrought, rather than (as with that old Sugden stuff) when styling simply didn’t cross the designer’s mind.

I couldn't care less what something looked like really, however, given 2 equally well sounding bits of kit for the same money, I'll go with the more attractive. Sometimes for me that is not something that makes to much of a statement.

Also being in the business myself with KJF audio, I know how much case work costs. My customers want value and so my cases reflect that while still being good quality. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet though about hugely expensive boxes that make a product twice as expensive as it needs to be. I'd rather have the performance without the extra cost at the end of the day.

To my eyes, the aesthetics of the Quad 33/303 are superb,
whereas the Kef Blades are downright ugly.
In my opinion, of course.

People will, doubtless, disagree.

I know someone who thinks the Nissan Juke is ‘cool.’
Wasn’t it meant to be called the Nissan Joke ?

The visual aesthetics are definitely important to me (despite or perhaps because of my poor sight).

I recently traded in one of my two silver disc players and aesthetics played a major part in the choice of which one went.

Am I the only person who has his system hidden away inside a false backless cupboard ? I never look at my boxes once the vinyl is playing. Mind you my cupboard doors are lovely. Speakers are just a necessarily visible evil, aesthetically speaking and usually “in the way”, Dirty great lumps until someone invents a direct plug in to the brain. And who mentioned rats’ nests everywhere.
Mind you, I have been a Suggieboy since 1976.

Speakers are just a necessarily visible evil, aesthetically speaking and usually “in the way”, Dirty great lumps until someone invents a direct plug in to the brain.
I find Stax electrostatic headphones are about as close as we're likely to get :)

Almost all of my hifi is in black boxes of various shapes and sizes, apart from the speakers in the downstairs system, which have a 'wood' finish. But even then, for the most part I'm looking at the grilles, which are black.

Hifi is hifi. Most are fairly utilitarian looking or over blingy. If it’s sat in a decent rack out of the way then it’s fairly indiscreet, which is how I like it. It’s like having a TV etc, it’s just got to fit in the best way it can. Sound first for me.

That said, I’ve also bought items whose looks, while not hideous to my eyes, were not to my taste at the time. Specifically, Accuphase and Albarry. I quickly forgave the eccentric looks because of how they performed.

You see, this is what I mean.... I just can't do that. I'm happy to admit that aesthetics are actually as important to me as the sound. I just hadn't admitted it to myself until today :D I guess it's why I didn't entertain DBLs or Isobariks despite being a Linn and Naim man... they may sound amazing, but to me they are too big and with little thought going into their visual appeal. I will just reiterate that this is just my opinion and in no way detracts from anyone else's choices.

You see, this is what I mean.... I just can't do that. I'm happy to admit that aesthetics are actually as important to me as the sound. I just hadn't admitted it to myself until today :D I guess it's why I didn't entertain DBLs or Isobariks despite being a Linn and Naim man... they may sound amazing, but to me they are too big and with little thought going into their visual appeal. I will just reiterate that this is just my opinion and in no way detracts from anyone else's choices.
We all have our priorities. It’s my wife who would be more bothered by the looks, though she passed my recent LRS buy.God bless her.A woman of immense taste!

In our house it depends where the system is going to be. In the living room then the kit needs to look decent, whereas in my study it's not a factor.

We all have our priorities. It’s my wife who would be more bothered by the looks, though she passed my recent LRS buy.God bless her.A woman of immense taste!
Actually, this is a very good point. Even if I personally was not bothered by the aesthetics, my long-suffering OH has put up with varying degrees of encroachment into her nice, tidy, pleasing living spaces, so the least I can do is not inflict some monstrosity on her.

For me personally the aesthetic of the individual pieces of equipment and as a whole system matter a great deal, though there are other major factors too when considering a piece of equipment, I'm more likely to rule equipment out on aesthetics I couldn't live with than to choose a piece of equipment based on how it looks. Anything 'bling' or too busy wouldn't be for me.

I have a separate room for the system so the looks are not massively important but I don’t like things that are overly fussy.

Not a fan of big LEDs etc. I think naim stuff generally looks good in a purposeful way.

All my equipment is on naim Fraim apart from a target wall shelf for the LP12

Am I the only person who has his system hidden away inside a false backless cupboard ? I never look at my boxes once the vinyl is playing. Mind you my cupboard doors are lovely. Speakers are just a necessarily visible evil, aesthetically speaking and usually “in the way”, Dirty great lumps until someone invents a direct plug in to the brain. And who mentioned rats’ nests everywhere.
Mind you, I have been a Suggieboy since 1976.

Can a ‘false, backless cupboard’ be described as a cupboard ?
Just a thought...

advertisement

Back