advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

All of the kit has three layers of Addis, except the valve amp which has four under the marble slab and then a further four under the feet of the amp.

There is some ability to compress if put weight onto the components, therefore I can see how this would isolate electronics from vibration in the rack.

I skipped the bumpers as my rack is an enclosed mango wood cabinet and it would be total faff trying to perfectly locate each one whilst holding up each part.

I can definitely state these work very well under Technics 1210s and a Denon mixer - if nothing else, they stop the stuff sliding over the top of the Ikea TV stand I use for the gear :)

With these under Tannoy DC2000s (19.5 kg each) on flat topped stands? Been meaning to remove the 14 year old blu-tak under them for, err, about 8 years of that...

All of the kit has three layers of Addis, except the valve amp which has four under the marble slab and then a further four under the feet of the amp.

There is some ability to compress if put weight onto the components, therefore I can see how this would isolate electronics from vibration in the rack.

I skipped the bumpers as my rack is an enclosed mango wood cabinet and it would be total faff trying to perfectly locate each one whilst holding up each part.

Great to hear you managed to get some pads under your gear and stacks of three, that's plenty! I guess it's up to each of us to decide for ourselves but I reckon the PVC bumpers from B&Q are essential as they allow equipment to ride/float/balance on the pads with the perfect amount of resistance so that the pads can work thier magic. Based on my experience, the faff of getting pads+bumpers in place is totally worth it. Rubber feet just don't do it as well. But it's your system and they're your ears so it's up to you :)

I can definitely state these work very well under Technics 1210s and a Denon mixer - if nothing else, they stop the stuff sliding over the top of the Ikea TV stand I use for the gear :)

With these under Tannoy DC2000s (19.5 kg each) on flat topped stands? Been meaning to remove the 14 year old blu-tak under them for, err, about 8 years of that...

Oh, did you use those bumpers from B&Q as well? And did you replace the stock feet on your deck with M6 bolts and nuts to stop the feet interfering with the combo's abilities? It's totally recommended.

My Tannoys are 20kg each and the pads+bumpers can handle the load no problem :)

Oh, did you use those bumpers from B&Q as well? And did you replace the stock feet on your deck with M6 bolts and nuts to stop the feet interfering with the combo's abilities? It's totally recommended.

No; I did this ages ago with some offcuts from mum's to stop the things sliding about, and noticed a great improvement as a nice side effect :) Those turntables are totally stock...

Windhoek,
I´m sure you´ve already thought of it but I won´t get hold of any more Addis pads ´til end of the month. How about an Addis cartridge isolator wotsit ? My A&RP77 Mg will deffo be getting one in May and my Ittok to plinth interface(2 Addis washers under one bolt and 1 each under the other 2 because it was born with lousy azymuth and as it´s an LVIII not even Johnnie could sort it - I ended up making a single washer out of a credit card - platinum, of course). I´m beginning to wonder if 300 pads from a single sink protector will be enough.

Windhoek,
I´m sure you´ve already thought of it but I won´t get hold of any more Addis pads ´til end of the month. How about an Addis cartridge isolator wotsit ? My A&RP77 Mg will deffo be getting one in May and my Ittok to plinth interface(2 Addis washers under one bolt and 1 each under the other 2 because it was born with lousy azymuth and as it´s an LVIII not even Johnnie could sort it - I ended up making a single washer out of a credit card - platinum, of course). I´m beginning to wonder if 300 pads from a single sink protector will be enough.

Replacing the stock feet on my 1210GR with the pad+bumper combo was big step forwards... but you might be right, there may well be other opportunities on a turntable. It just so happens I bought a 3-D printed cartridge spacer from Johnnie last year so I could always fashion an Addis spacer by using the plastic one as a template. Dunno if I've got a small enough drill bit but it sounds doable!

300 pads is never enough :D

I just rummaged through my hifi bits & bobs box there and fished out all the rubber feet I had and then put them straight in the bin. Now that I know about the magic combo, I'll only ever use pads and bumpers from here on out. I've got plenty of Addis pads so once I buy a few packets of PVC bumpers on Tuesday that'll be me sorted. I ain't never going back to rubber feet, or stock feet for that matter either.

@windhoek In two weeks time, you'll be doing a small job, 'bugger, I could have just used a couple of those rubber feet' :)

I've just used one of those rubber washing machine isolation feet, sprayed it white, now it's a wall protector for the shower door.

advertisement

Back