advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

I've been popping into hardware shops and poundshops etc over the last week or so but I haven't seen the same sort of pads I bought years ago which I'm now using with the Addis pads. In the end, I've now ordered these bumpers and these bumpers to see if either of those will do. I'm optimistic both options will work, but I can't be sure until I give them a go. I reckon the smaller the better as I know that large rubber feet somehow dampen the music. I should have the bumpers here on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest and I'll report my findings. If you don't mind buying some anyway then by all means it's up to you. Either way, well done on taking the plunge. As long as your speakers are on a flat solid surface the pads+bumpers will work their magic :)
I won't be putting them under speakers as they are big and heavy and these dinky little pads just wouldn't cut it (see The Wam from your listening chair, (pg 90) thread where pic of the kit is and you'll get the idea). But going to try these under the stuff in the rack and the valve amp on top.

Speakers are on Gaia's anyway and on a suspended floor. The marble plinths the Gaia's are on have Soundcare Superspikes under them.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I won't be putting them under speakers as they are big and heavy and these dinky little pads just wouldn't cut it (see The Wam from your listening chair, (pg 90) thread where pic of the kit is and you'll get the idea). But going to try these under the stuff in the rack and the valve amp on top.

Speakers are on Gaia's anyway and on a suspended floor. The marble plinths the Gaia's are on have Soundcare Superspikes under them.

If your equipment already has softish small rubber feet you can probably just put some pads underneath those and away you go. Dunno about solid state stuff but electromechanical stuff should see some benefit. Pity about the speakers staying as they are but if you're content then that's all that matters :)

If your equipment already has softish small rubber feet you can probably just put some pads underneath those and away you go. Dunno about solid state stuff but electromechanical stuff should see some benefit. Pity about the speakers staying as they are but if you're content then that's all that matters :)

Would be very happy to try under speakers, until I bought some and saw the size of the pads...

My speakers are big beasties and 44kg each (look at the pic and you'll understand why it wouldn't work).

Would be very happy to try under speakers, until I bought some and saw the size of the pads...

My speakers are big beasties and 44kg each (look at the pic and you'll understand why it wouldn't work).

I think the Addis would be fine with that load as they're pretty firm, as you can feel for yourself. All that would happen is that the bumpers would compress to the max. I reckon mine are compressed to the max as my Tannoys weigh 20kg each but everything sounds great anyway. Still, unless you get the itch to try it under your speakers it doesn't really matter I suppose as it sounds like they're well sorted already.

Tried just the Addis jobbies ( not the dot yet) between my Tablette 10 and their Sonus R4 stands replacing some Isoacoustics Mini Pucks, however l have put Blu Tac on either side of the Addis jobbies ( one in each corner of the stand) and have to say l am quite impressed, lost nothing to the Mini Pucks ( gained a bit of body and a calming of the sound) and also a little more depth too.....nice one @windhoek.:)

One of the things I tried just recently was Soundeck SDS plates, which utilises compressed layered damping technology, and compared to the Addis pads, well it would be like comparing Raith Rovers to Real Madrid. The SDS plates cost nearly £150 for two sets of four plates but they ain't got nothing against the Addis pads. Sure, they also reduced the amount of energy going into the floor, but interdimensional sound stage and presentation? No chance. Nada!

l have the SDS plates under the feet of my Gyro and they are very effective there,tried them between speaker and stand and they did nothing- blooming weird this decoupling/isolation thingy.:)

Tried just the Addis jobbies ( not the dot yet) between my Tablette 10 and their Sonus R4 stands replacing some Isoacoustics Mini Pucks, however l have put Blu Tac on either side of the Addis jobbies ( one in each corner of the stand) and have to say l am quite impressed, lost nothing to the Mini Pucks ( gained a bit of body and a calming of the sound) and also a little more depth too.....nice one @windhoek.:)

Great news Tarzan, yeah there's just something really good about these pads. No idea what they're made of but they're great for music for sure :)

I've no idea how it would go if you sat spikes directly on the pad, although I'm guessing that unless the spikes have rounded tips then the spikes will completely penetrate the pads.
I have put the pads under the spikes of my main speakers (couldn’t face doing anything more). They don’t go all the way through. The pads sit on top of SDS off-cuts. I haven’t dared listen yet.

I have put the pads under the spikes of my main speakers (couldn’t face doing anything more). They don’t go all the way through. The pads sit on top of SDS off-cuts. I haven’t dared listen yet.

Oh, that's interesting. Dunno if spike cups would help in this scenario but if the pads are strong enough to resist full penetration - no puns or jokes intended - then they just might work their magic without bumpers as I imagine that the spikes are bedded right into the pad. I dare you to listen :D

I'm stuck on Genelecs with Scriabin followed by restarting Breaking Bad with daughter 3 - will report back once that's over :)

They will work just fine if you use them in clusters. If you want the 4 corners covered, I would use them in 3s under each corner. Then your 44 kg is 44/12 each, 3.7 kg each. Easy.
Remember that car suspension relies on rubber bushings and handles loads of several tonnes. 44kg? Elastomer pads will handle that at a stroll.

Yeah I reckon one level of Addis pads will cope with a 44kg load no problem. The only question is whether the bumpers have a lower weight limit and what happens once it's exceeded. The bumpers under my 20kg Tannoys are 3 or 4mm wide and 2 or 3mm tall. I reckon they're close to max compression i.e. they won't deform further unless the load increases by an exponential factor. But I don't know for sure. The two packs of bumpers I ordered the other day (6x2mm and 8x3mm) are due to arrive today so I'll find out soon enough whether there's any difference in terms of end sound. I'm hoping there's no detectable difference and that's my prediction as well.

I think what we all want here is to know that you can buy an Addis mat and a cheap packet of bumpers and you're good to go. I don't think the bumpers I've been using are magical in any way other than they happen to make good saddles that allow the Addis pads to do their stuff; assuming I'm right about the issue of microscopic bounce due to contact between one hard surface (speaker cabinet) and a firm surface (Addis pads). The one thing I do know is that using big chunky rubber feet didn't work as it somehow dampened the music as well as damping contact vibration. I really hope all these small bumpers share the same properties. Fingers crossed!

Hi.I have been following this thread and I really like it. Can you please tell me if this mat is the one you are referring to? I can't insert a url link, so just type this addis 1330566 into Google and the first link to Bonami sk.

Hi.I have been following this thread and I really like it. Can you please tell me if this mat is the one you are referring to? I can't insert a url link, so just type this addis 1330566 into Google and the first link to Bonami sk.

I'm afraid that's not it. It's this Grey Circles one - no affiliation with the seller.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don't think Jaro is in the UK so I've I've posted an eBay link and with a bit of luck the seller does international shipping.

advertisement

Back