advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Taboo is huge fun if you don't take it too seriously. Some hilarious dialogue.

An awful lot of Tom Harry's character grunting!

Gripping stuff and sufficiently dark and at times bonkers. Far removed from the usual twee Auntie Beeb drama-lite that they usually serve up.

For the poster above who wanted a period drama, I assume you've watched War & Peace which was sumptuously produced and is on iPlayer.

I enjoyed the first episode in the new BBC adaptation of SSGB last night. I did read the book while I was at school some 35 years ago but can't really remember it. So far it looks good.

Really enjoyed SAS Rogue Warriors on BBC2. Series just finished but probably still on iPlayer. It's all focused on WW2, how the unit was formed and the utter mayhem they unleashed behind enemy lines. Stories of reckless courage are just astonishing and very well told.

I'm not usually in to military stuff but this was fascinating.

Rich

Really enjoyed SAS Rogue Warriors on BBC2. Series just finished but probably still on iPlayer. It's all focused on WW2, how the unit was formed and the utter mayhem they unleashed behind enemy lines. Stories of reckless courage are just astonishing and very well told.

I'm not usually in to military stuff but this was fascinating.

Rich

Likewise. I found last nights episode heart rending. Pictures, film and narrative of the SAS liberation of Belsen. What humans can do to others. Skeletons of not even dead people unable to walk just thrown into a burial pit on a pile of skeletons. Nazi guards shooting camp inmates for fun.

Could not help but be reminded of our ISIS buddies inhuman treatment of those not in their club. Maybe SAS have been at work silently but their hand might just make ISIS think again. Wreak the same misery on ISIS as they do to others.

Very well done, the SAS story; not sure about the action man presentation, but at least he seemed to enjoy it. :) Interesting that the SAS were disbanded, yet within a few years they were re-formed. There's always a need for an elite corps like this, and of course they're still active.

A new series of the dark comedy*, Inside Number 9, started this week.
Highly recommended, as ever.

*well, I say "comedy"; but it has ranged from comedy, through heartbreaking drama, to genuinely chilling horror.

There's a bunch of Rich Hall's documentaries on the US back up on the iPlayer again. Amongst the best telly ever.
Thanks, I hadn't seen "Inventing The Indian" before - really enjoyed watching it on iPlayer tonight.
Currently watching part 3 of Andrew Graham-Dixon's "Art Of France", let me add anything by Graham-Dixon to the list of recommendations...

Taboo is huge fun if you don't take it too seriously. Some hilarious dialogue.

Yes.

Watched the lot up to the final episode last night. Have to say as usual a bit too much mumbling and inaudible dialogue which made an already barely comprehensible 'plot' rather more so.

Agree it was very good fun, but.... Yes, we know that sanitary conditions in early 19th C England weren't what they are now, but was it really necessary for most characters to be so unremittingly filthy all of the time?

I'm surprised any of them survived the numerous cuts, bruises and grazes they seemed to acquire constantly without succumbing to infection.

mull.

tom hardy's scenery chewing almost made me nostalgic for daniel day-lewis. you are clearly suffering a cultural decline over there. the brexit troubles are just a symptom.

vuk.

mull.

tom hardy's scenery chewing almost made me nostalgic for daniel day-lewis. you are clearly suffering a cultural decline over there. the brexit troubles are just a symptom.

vuk.

I saw the first episode yesterday. It's genius!

I saw the first episode yesterday. It's genius!

i don;t think anything that has a big supernatural component in the story can be remotely close to genius -- at least not after modernism..

it could have been a lot better with a better actor and some toning down of things. why does everything have to be so exaggerated these days?

vuk.

advertisement

Back