advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

You want a better actor than Tom Hardy?

It's the character not the portrayal which is a bit over the top, which is either your thing or not I suppose.

It was pleasingly gritty and a welcome departure from the typical twee BBC approach to drama.

Speaking of the typical twee BBC etc etc, we are currently watching the DVD of the BBC's 1994 adaptation of George Eliot's 'Middlemarch'. An excellent adaptation (by Andrew Davies) of an excellent novel, featuring a very young Rufus Sewell.

There have over my lifetime been a number of dramas where the main premise is that the Nazis won the war.
I have never watched any of them. Dunno why exactly, just don't fancy them.
Maybe it's all a bit too close to the way things are going in reality?

Col

I think its just you and me watching, I tried a post last week but no other comments. I have not seen P2 yet but am looking forward to it.

Sorry, didn't spot your earlier post. I've not seen part two yet either. (I have to record it as Mrs MikeMA watches some doctors and nurses stuff which is on at the same time on ITV). it's an atmospheric production with some decent actors and an interesting story line - I enjoyed Deighton's book which prompted me to watch this production. Been sold all over Europe apparently, including to German TV. I'm looking forward to watching part two.

There have over my lifetime been a number of dramas where the main premise is that the Nazis won the war.
I have never watched any of them. Dunno why exactly, just don't fancy them.
Maybe it's all a bit too close to the way things are going in reality?

Col

I think it is highly unlikely that the Germans will successfully invade and conquer Great Britain.

It's the character not the portrayal which is a bit over the top, which is either your thing or not I suppose.

It was pleasingly gritty and a welcome departure from the typical twee BBC approach to drama.

the problem is that you brits are not gritty in any interesting way. guy ritchie invented that fallacy and your cinematic/television culture has suffered ever since trying to claim or recreate some of that adolescent "coolness".

vuk.

i don;t think anything that has a big supernatural component in the story can be remotely close to genius -- at least not after modernism..

it could have been a lot better with a better actor and some toning down of things. why does everything have to be so exaggerated these days?

vuk.

It's that kind of thinking that gave us postmodernism.

It's genius!

the problem is that you brits are not gritty in any interesting way. guy ritchie invented that fallacy and your cinematic/television culture has suffered ever since trying to claim or recreate some of that adolescent "coolness".

vuk.

Sweeping generalisation and wrong.

western culture has been almost totally eroded by american influence.

vuk.

In who's opinion? Americans? Certainly not where I come from. Yes it has a lot of volume (over quality), and very little gets assimilated the other way (musical influence and food being two exceptions off the top of my head), but I can't think of too many western Europeans agreeing that their culture has really been eroded away.

vuk.

Bollocks, Get Carter, well before ex mr madonna

and another thing, I lived during the 70's. That was f...ing gritty, so much I still have sand in all my shoes

vuk.

Not to jump in the middle of a knife fight but...

Gritty enough for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back