advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

I haven't watched it yet so can't confirm whether it's recommendable, but seeing as it's called Sound Waves: The Symphony of Physics and is presented by Dr Helen Czerski, I'm more than confident it's right up our ear canal.

Click here to go to the programme website and read on for the programme blurb: Dr Helen Czerski investigates the science behind the sounds we're familiar with and the sounds that we normally can't hear, from Big Ben to the Stromboli volcano.

As a wee Robert The Brucie bonus, click here to visit the Growing up in Scotland: A Century of Childhood programme website where you can find out about er, growing up in Scotland over the last century. Who knows, you might even see rare footage of a few fishies in their formative years!

I haven't watched it yet so can't confirm whether it's recommendable, but seeing as it's called Sound Waves: The Symphony of Physics and is presented by Dr Helen Czerski, I'm more than confident it's right up our ear canal.

I watched it and enjoyed it. Sure I could raise a couple of points on the terms and descriptions but for most it should be a good popular science program. A recommendation from me.

I invested 90 minutes this morning watching OJ: Made in America but no more as it's taking too long to get to the nitty gritty of what went down that day. So far not recommended...

I've now watched 3 .5 hours of OJ: Made in America and although it's still a bit slow and long in places, it's becoming quite a documentary and almost recommendable.

I've now watched the whole OJ: Made in America series and although the background part seemed a tad too long, it is recommended if not compulsory viewing. Conviction should have been a slam dunk - an easy touchdown if you will - but the series shows how successfully his defence picked apart the credibility of various witnesses and 'alleged' evidence, and almost deftly played OJ's ethnicity as an intrinsic issue in a city where racism was very much alive and well... and then he fekd up.

I attempted half an hour of SS-GB and nearly fell asleep- the central character seems to have permanent laryngitis, the acting is wooden and the story dull as ditch water. With drama production like this, you'd have wished the Nazis had taken over the BBC.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure some here might be interested in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h0cc8

'As part of Radio 3's programming for International Women's Day, Kevin Le Gendre presents a portrait of Alice Coltrane - pianist, harpist, composer, improviser, bandleader, and ultimately Vedantic spiritual leader. An extraordinary character and musician, she took an approach to life and to music that conceded no boundaries, and she deserves greater recognition.

Hearing testaments to her musicianship as well as her personal strength and powerful presence, Le Gendre asks why her music isn't more widely known. She was greatly influenced by her husband John Coltrane, but has her musical contribution been overshadowed by his legacy?

Drawing on a wide range of influences from gospel to Stravinsky to Indian devotional music, and most often identified as a jazz musician, her music pushes the boundaries and defies conventional categorization. Kevin speaks to some of those who knew her best, including her son, Ravi Coltrane, sister Marilyn McLeod, and collaborators Carlos Santana and Reggie Workman, about the woman behind this singular musical voice.

Alice Coltrane's legacy is still evolving. As a younger generation of artists discover her music through reissues, and recordings of her previously unreleased devotional music come into circulation, her influence continues to spread far beyond the realms of jazz music.'

watched a really interesting documentary on iPlayer about the data science of pop music. Forget what it was called, but it was really fascinating stuff - if a little inconclusive...

Wild Ireland: The Edge of the world

Colin Stafford Johnson journeys along one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world, featuring the wildlife and wild places that make it so unique.

Superb photography of the Irish west coast - it’s been too long I really must return for a holiday.

Watching Casualty can mean you end up there, cos it makes you feel suicidal, although somewhat old nowadays, Rising Damp is good. Prepare to be triggered though.

BBC4
Jago: A Life Underwater.
Reminiscences of an 80 year old Hunter from Indonesia who dives for fish on a single breath.

Genius of the Modern World presented by Bettany Hughes retraces the lives of great modern thinkers: Marx, Nietzsche and Frued. The episode looking at Marx is no longer on iPlayer, but the episodes looking at Nietzsche and Frued are - although the episode on Nietzsche is only available to watch until Thursday.

The episode on Nietzsche shows how he developed his concept of Übermensch and how Hitler annexed... er, I mean appropriated the idea and turned it into something else. It also shows how he developed the concept of amor fati - a truly powerful concept for anyone who can embrace life no matter what can become, as Nietzsche suggests, an unshackled, self-actualising (my words) Übermensch.

Tonight C4 21:00 hrs. He sets out to uncover the emotions, beliefs and desires that drive people's loyalty to their particular political tribe. He's always interesting so worth a watch I'd guess.

advertisement

Back