advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Episode 2 of Ocean Giants, about 2/3 of the way through, with the ‘A-Team’ whales’ hunting strategy in action. Fascinating and, I thought, exhilarating.

On iPlayer now, I believe.

Anyone else watch Welcome To Chechnya: The Gay Purge last night? Yet another truly superb film in the Storyville series. Not an easy watch at all. It deals with the systemic violence, torture and murder of LGBT folk in Chechnya with the full support of the Putin dictatorship and focuses on some incredibly brave folk in the underground resistance who manage to get a lot of folk out and into asylum in other nations, though fail to protect countless more. No one should be in even the slightest doubt what Kadyrov and Putin are; these people are proper fascists in the Hitler style and they are quietly getting away with their own taste in genocide.

Well worth catching on iPayer even if it is for no other reason than to see the mindset of the people financing RT, Brexit ads, Trump disruption ads, DNC hacks etc etc. This is what Putin is, this is what he does.

Anyone else watch Welcome To Chechnya: The Gay Purge last night? Yet another truly superb film in the Storyville series. Not an easy watch at all. It deals with the systemic violence, torture and murder of LGBT folk in Chechnya with the full support of the Putin dictatorship and focuses on some incredibly brave folk in the underground resistance who manage to get a lot of folk out and into asylum in other nations, though fail to protect countless more. No one should be in even the slightest doubt what Kadyrov and Putin are; these people are proper fascists in the Hitler style and they are quietly getting away with their own taste in genocide.

Well worth catching on iPayer even if it is for no other reason than to see the mindset of the people financing RT, Brexit ads, Trump disruption ads, DNC hacks etc etc. This is what Putin is, this is what he does.

Ta. I might give that a go, when I'm feeling a bit stronger.

‘I may destroy you’ is excellent, quite a challenging piece of television with some explicit content which may offend but very well written & acted.

Sorry for being slightly off-topic.

As a lover of the English language I am very sad not to be able to watch everything you talk about here.
I live in France and I’d really like to watch the BBC on my TV, just like you would in England – yes including the ads and the news.

Is there an easy way? Not on a computer, no VPN thingy, the real live feed like HD Freeview.

Thanks!

As a lover of the English language I am very sad not to be able to watch everything you talk about here.
I live in France and I’d really like to watch the BBC on my TV, just like you would in England – yes including the ads and the news.

Is there an easy way? Not on a computer, no VPN thingy, the real live feed like HD Freeview.

Thanks!
There are no ads on the BBC! I don't know how you get it in France though, I never could and you are not supposed to get it outside the UK because that's what the UK license fee pays for. I don't know if in the internet age there is a way to pay the BBC for a feed outside the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094mcwl

'This intimate biography, narrated in Marc Bolan's own words, traces his remarkable journey from Hackney's 'king of the mods' to Tyrannosaurus Rex, as he evolved into the artist known as 'the hippie with a knife up his sleeve'.

With the dawn of the 1970s and the breakup of The Beatles, Bolan became the gender-bending glam rocker whose band T. Rex revitalised the British music scene. But director Jeremy Marre - incorporating unseen movies shot by record producer Tony Visconti and Marc Bolan himself - reveals a far more complex and driven figure whose life was tragically cut short, aged 29.'

(BBC4 Tonight 11pm)

Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure (BBC 4). A wonderful look at Brazil tonight, just amazing music past and present and charting its role as protest which is huge at present against the hard-right Trumpian politics the country is currently suffering. Obviously filmed before covid 19 brought its destruction and very much worth a look.

Agreed. The Haring documentary was stunningly good IMO. I’d recommend going to see his work if the opportunity arises, the impact and quality in person is amazing (some really are huge and complex) and the stuff from the end of his life exceptionally powerful.

50078870961_02ec76c601_b.jpg

I spent ages looking at this one (Tate Liverpool PV), it goes on for miles and I’m sure tells some story I couldn’t quite figure out. One thing that is amazing is his work is both fast and flawless, he just didn’t make mistakes, never seemed to rethink anything or correct. It just flowed out.

Thanks!
Get an old Sky box and dish.
Use it for free view.
I watch all UK terrestrial channels at my Brittany gaff this way.
Any of the ex-pat publications will be full of firms that can set you up.

Get an old Sky box and dish.
Use it for free view.
I watch all UK terrestrial channels at my Brittany gaff this way.
Any of the ex-pat publications will be full of firms that can set you up.

Good. Anybody here has one?

Thanks!
Where are you in France? In the North of the country, you should be able to receive BBC with a satellite dish. British terrestrial TV (BBC 1,2 and 4; ITV; Channel 4; Channel5) services are carried on Astra 2E,F,G at 28.2°E and are not encrypted.
Astra%202E2F%20UK%20Spot%20Beam.jpg

advertisement

Back