advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

In fairness covid 19 has shot any new productions of any scale in the head. It is obvious we will be getting re-runs and socially distanced talking heads for a fair while yet.

We saw this yesterday.

It is very funny, and has some very fruity language.

The Kemps are able to take the piss out of themselves. Good job.

Spoof documentary 'The Kemps: All True'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p087qvkf

I wonder if they saw the Bros documentary that became a hit for reasons not at all intended and thought, mmm, we could do something like that, on purpose. Either way, I'll give it a go so thanks for the recommendation :)

I wonder if they saw the Bros documentary that became a hit for reasons not at all intended and thought, mmm, we could do something like that, on purpose. Either way, I'll give it a go so thanks for the recommendation :)

The Kemps: All True is written by Rhys Thomas (frequently heard on bbc radio 4) who is also in the show. He has a face that you recognise once you see him. His voice is very familiar to me.

I have the seen the Bros doc. (which is as funny as it gets, unintentionally by the Goss guys, obvious to the editor of the programme)
After seeing it, I spent ages trying to get anyone I knew to watch it. It took a lot of convincing because it is about Bros. Comedy gold in my opinion.

The Kemps looks like it was based on the car crash that was the Bros doc.
As a spoof it works very well, also some nice jibes aimed at Tony Hadley as well.

I am not a fan of Spandau Ballet, but you don't need to be to enjoy the programme (same with the Bros prog.)

At the time Spandau were Cutting A Long Story Short, I was entering my Futurist stage, synths only in terms of bands.
Spandau like Duran had guitars in their line-up and were described as New Romantics, I therefore hated them. As a Futurist, the term New Romantic was abhorrent. Gotta love music tribes!

Likewise when The Human League split and Jo Callis and the other bloke arrived, they had guitar that appeared in their appearances... I don't actually think there was any guitar on Dare! The damage was done.

Martin Rushent turned up and they popped Dare, exactly the time that I dropped them, they were far too popular for me by then... (I was 16 yrs. old)

Nowadays I can listen to Dare, but it is still not to my taste. That horrible Linn drum machine sound, I still hate it. (give me an 808 anyday)

I just watched the Kemp mockumentary and boy, do I want to see Martin's new crowdfunded gangster film starring Bob Hoskins as Al Capone, themselves as the Krays, and Pheobe Waller-Bridge as Jackie the Ripper. So daft it just might work!

Louis Theroux is looking back and catching up with some of the stories and people from his career as a documentary maker. I'm not sure how many episodes there are but the first is available here.

Series 1 - 4 of Battlestar Gallactica is also available to watch on iPlayer - link.

I'm enjoying Harlots.
[Cough].

It's startling that one in five women in London during that late 18th Century was a hooker. The two series shown by the BBC so far are well worth watching for the most part. There was only one episode I found disappointing.

Harlots is helped by some great acting by Samantha Morton, who played Ian Curtis' wife Debra in Anton Corbijn's Control, and Liv Tyler.

Three series have apparently been made, so I might try and track down the 3rd.

Jack

Last edited:
Just started watching battlestar galactica, it’s great so far but the episodes are pretty long.

I started watching it last week. Episode 1 and 2 are pilots and one hour long. Then they get shorter, although the intros/recaps get longer. Episode 1 was a bit weird but I got hooked on episode 2. Sadly, it’s been a bit up and down since then, and the plot holes get bigger and bigger, and for an advanced human civilisation they are very...”American”... Halfway through series two and I’m having to take a break.

I watched A High School Rape Goes Viral: Roll Red Roll last night (link) and it was an intriguing documentary for sure. While rape is obviously a serious crime and sadly, not all that uncommon, the documentary casts a light on the role of social media in bringing the perpetrators to justice as well as covering the story itself. The input from some of the townsfolk is revealing with more than a hint of victim-blaming coming through. Like I say, it's an intriguing documentary.

advertisement

Back