advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

There is some great stuff hidden away on BBC4 which I sometimes miss.

While channel hopping last night trying to avoid Britain's Got Talent, BBC Young Dancer and the Eurovision Song Contest, I spotted a BBC archive programme about John Williams on BBC4. I really enjoy his playing and it was well worth watching. Interesting too to hear him and Julian Bream talk about each other and their playing together. I'd forgotten quite how popular he was back in the 1980s/90s, often appearing on prime time TV with the likes of Val Doonican and Eric Sykes, about whom Williams was very complimentary, saying he envied them their easy relationship with an audience, which he didn't think he had as a classical musician, and how they had helped him to bring his music to a wider audience. The old Sky stuff was interesting too! I must dig my old LPs out!

Anyone see "Years and Years"? - slightly black-mirrorish dystopian near-future family saga. I found the child's facial filter mask really disturbing - a stroke of genius by the writer. Looking forward to seeing how Emma Thompson's emerging populist politician will rise....

Anyone see "Years and Years"? - slightly black-mirrorish dystopian near-future family saga. I found the child's facial filter mask really disturbing - a stroke of genius by the writer. Looking forward to seeing how Emma Thompson's emerging populist politician will rise....
Too believable! Great telly.

The Legend of Hell House is on Talking pictures. It’s a superbly atmospheric ‘70s British horror with a brilliant score by Hodgson, Derbyshire and Simpson. Written by Richard Matheson and a great cast.

Stephen

The Legend of Hell House is on Talking pictures. It’s a superbly atmospheric ‘70s British horror with a brilliant score by Hodgson, Derbyshire and Simpson. Written by Richard Matheson and a great cast.

Stephen

Good film if a little bit too derivative of 'The Haunting of Hill House'. I have the soundtrack although how official it is, I don't know.

The film also gave us this:

Chasing the Moon...frustratingly, except they are only showing the first 3 of 6 episodes, finishing at the Apollo 1 fire.

The wife recommended Staged, we watched it yesterday.

It is about rehearsing a play, Pirandello’s "Six Characters In Search Of An Author."

(The Wife has directed the play, - I have to admit that I have never heard of it)

Michael Sheen riffing with David Tennant plus some surprises. Beautiful writing, we were laughing many times, and the script is as sharp as a needle.

We saw Good Omens last year (?) with Sheen & Tennant :))) - which is very entertaining and shows a visible synergy twixt David and Michael.

Staged is one of the best things I have seen this year. Very funny.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p08dnl67/staged

Highly recommended.

advertisement

Back