advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: V Gone-ish!

I dub thee...

I saw Tory Grandee Heseltine laying into him no-holds-barred on Channel 4 News last night, amidst growing back bench calls to kick him out. I doubt Sunak would have the guts to do that though. It’s the mirror image of the Corbyn situation. Kicking Johnson out now would run a real risk of splitting the party.

There’s been sharp difference of opinion on this forum whether Johnson is merely Tory Max, or if his leadership represents a huge lurch to Trumpian far-right populism. I’m of the latter opinion and the unease within their own ranks confirms this to me.

I saw Tory Grandee Heseltine laying into him no-holds-barred on Channel 4 News last night, amidst growing back bench calls to kick him out. I doubt Sunak would have the guts to do that though. It’s the mirror image of the Corbyn situation. Kicking Johnson out now would run a real risk of splitting the party.

There’s been sharp difference of opinion on this forum whether Johnson is merely Tory Max, or if his leadership represents a huge lurch to Trumpian far-right populism. I’m of the latter opinion and the unease within their own ranks confirms this to me.
So far I haven’t really seen anything that’s led me to reassess my take on this. Far right populism has always been an essential ingredient in Thatcherism, and they’re having to lean on it harder as the economic project collapses. Some of them don’t like it but they’ll go along with it if the alternative is a move to the left. That risk has been neutralised so they’ve taken out Boris in much the same manner as they installed him and are all now free to say how awful he is and get back to business as usual, perhaps under new management.

I’m not saying there’s nothing to worry about because nothing’s actually been resolved, and both parties are committed to pushing politics further to the right rather than addressing fundamental problems.

So far I haven’t really seen anything that’s led me to reassess my take on this. Far right populism has always been an essential ingredient in Thatcherism, and they’re having to lean on it harder as the economic project collapses. Some of them don’t like it but they’ll go along with it if the alternative is a move to the left. That risk has been neutralised so they’ve taken out Boris in much the same manner as they installed him and are all now free to say how awful he is and get back to business as usual, perhaps under new management.

Who are they?

Is it that this your best explanation of observables, the events. Or do you have some more direct corroboration (like one of them saying or almost saying “this is what we have done”?)

The problem I have with your post as it stands is that it looks like another internet conspiracy theory. But I know you now, so I suspect there’s more to it than that!

Far right populism has always been an essential ingredient in Thatcherism, and they’re having to lean on it harder as the economic project collapses.

Free Market Fundamentalism is like religious fundamentalism. When it goes wrong, when its internal contradictions and obvious failings become apparent, it doesn’t confront those failings, it hides them with violence. The more its vulnerabilities are exposed, the more violent it becomes.

It happened to Christianity with the Crusades and if we want a political example of how violent neoliberalism can become in order to suppress contradiction and failing, we only need to look back a few decades at Chile and General Pinochet

Who are they?

Is it that this your best explanation of observables, the events. Or do you have some more direct corroboration (like one of them saying or almost saying “this is what we have done”?)

The problem I have with your post as it stands is that it looks like another internet conspiracy theory. But I know you now, so I suspect there’s more to it than that!
Right wing press, left wing press, BBC, Conservative MPs, Labour right MPs, business leaders, public figures of all kinds, anyone in a position to turn wealth into political influence. 2019 was extremely illuminating and ought to put conspiracy theories to bed, really, because it was all out in the open. A lot of the people now deploring the damage done by Johnson to public life burned through capital of one sort of another openly endorsing Johnson, or misrepresenting him, or tirelessly campaigning against the only alternative.

Boris Johnson’s legacy? He has ruined Britain’s place in the world
Michael Heseltine

The former PM’s insistence to ‘Get Brexit Done’ is the biggest historic mistake this country has made in peacetime

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...acy-he-has-ruined-britains-place-in-the-world

"Tarzan" calls out depiffle. :grin:

I'm in the middle of this fascinating volume:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NWD58DZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

and BoJo features. I found this comment very interesting:

In some ways, Britain is particularly vulnerable to the strongman style of politics. The country has an unwritten constitution and has relied on what the historian Peter Hennessey calls the "good chap" model of governance - a belief that all establishment politicians will behave with a "sense of restraint" and respect for time-honoured conventions. Outwardly Boris Johnson looks like the very epitome of a "good chap". But, in reality, as his Eton housemaster once astutely observed, he feels himself unconstrained by "the network of obligations that binds everybody else".

And when the spiffing chap turns out to be an absolute rotter, there doesn't seem to be anything that can stop this particular heap of excrement from floating to the surface. It would seem that the power od celebrity is just as powerrful on this side of the Atlantic as it is on the other. A large part of Trump's appeal appears to be his entertainment value, so different from grey, boring professional politicians (and of course he was a TV entertainer for a long time). BoJo, with his deliberately askew mop and comic figure, seems to be the same, and, bewilderingly (to me anyway) people fall for it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Right wing press, left wing press, BBC, Conservative MPs, Labour right MPs, business leaders, public figures of all kinds, anyone in a position to turn wealth into political influence. 2019 was extremely illuminating and ought to put conspiracy theories to bed, really, because it was all out in the open. A lot of the people now deploring the damage done by Johnson to public life burned through capital of one sort of another openly endorsing Johnson, or misrepresenting him, or tirelessly campaigning against the only alternative.
Not sure I understand.

Are you saying that Boris is correct in saying that he has indeed been stitched up by everybody as he alleges?

advertisement

Back