advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

This thread is fascinating and has got me listening to Kamaal Williams and Yussef Kamall... now if I like this artists who else would you recommend I listen too?

Have you checked out the more house-oriented stuff Kamaal Williams has done under the name Henry Wu?

This thread is fascinating and has got me listening to Kamaal Williams and Yussef Kamall... now if I like this artists who else would you recommend I listen too?

Some fun to be had exploring the likes of Ezra Collective, Ruby Rushton, Tenderlonious, Kaidi Tatham

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I hope you don't mind but a little off topic, but where are you downloading your high res new jazz music from?

Qobuz and Bandcamp offer a wide range of interesting music in Flac or Aiff at redbook or higher rates. Cafe Oto have some great downloads too, but probably more out there than much of this thread.

I got the Sly and Robbie with NPM in Flac from Qobuz, I think.

I usually adopt an 'approach with caution' attitude when it comes to jazz but after spending an entertaining evening last week with a fellow fish who's quite enthusiastic about jazz and who played for me a selection of jazz smoothies, I suddenly found myself buying a wad of jazz records. Admittedly, that wad of records is actually only three, but considering I normally only buy one jazz LP once every two or three years, to buy three in one go is like a proper episode of impulsive binge shopping that'll take me years and years from which to recover!

Anyway, the three records I bought are:

Mathew Halsall - Fletcher Moss Park
Mathew Halsall - On The Go
Brad Mehldau Trio - Blues and Ballads

I've still to receive On the Go and although I really like Fletcher Moss Park, Blues and Ballads blew me away completely - especially side 2 - as it's just the most amazing music ever! Unfortunately, the pressing has a few faults so I'm going to get it replaced, but the music is a keeper for sure. The other bad news is that I'm going back round on Friday so my wallet might be taking another hit at the weekend lol

Oh, I meant to ask, what genre of jazz do these records come under? Whatever it is, I think it just might be my jazz-music comfy zone, my jazzy sweet spot :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He also guests on a couple of tracks from young South African jazz group Mabuta on their Welcome To This World album.

I am really enjoying the works of Collocutor, featuring Tamar Osborn on sax. 3 albums on Bandcamp, just had to buy them all. Some great african influenced tracks and some interesting takes on non-original material. No links, too lazy. Look em up

advertisement

Back