advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

R+R=Now with some impressive names in the lineup, the new Album is due out in a couple of weeks;

Not really Jazz as such, but close enough: enjoying the first new Corduroy album in 18 years

Kasamasi Washington "Heaven and Earth" has a good shout for album of the year.

aSE0tiW.png

Not particularly a massive jazz fan but I've been listening to The Velvet Rage by Pete Lee over the last few days and think it's really rather good.
Here's a taster.

Very much enjoying Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin at present. Two albums Llyria and Live came in with a bulk ECM buy recently and they are really rather good IMO. One of the few times I’ve heard minimalism, trip-hop, electronica influences etc actually work in a fully acoustic ‘proper’ jazz context. Interesting stuff, very ‘ECM’ in its big, bold natural acoustic sound, great piano etc, but something of everything from Massive Attack through to Mogwai in there too somehow from a composition perspective. He certainly works in a sense of loops and grooves even if everything is live and flowing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
One of the few times I’ve heard minimalism, trip-hop, electronica influences etc actually work in a fully acoustic ‘proper’ jazz context.
Will check those out. I'm always hoping, but this type of fusion often disappoints me.

As does RnB/jazz fusion ... talking of which Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah's album The Emancipation is a bit uneven, but overall is winning me over. Here is the last track - the last 2-3 minutes trumpet especially is mind-blowing and if anyone knows where else I can get more like this, please tell!

Last edited:
Very much enjoying Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin at present. Two albums Llyria and Live came in with a bulk ECM buy recently and they are really rather good IMO. One of the few times I’ve heard minimalism, trip-hop, electronica influences etc actually work in a fully acoustic ‘proper’ jazz context. Interesting stuff, very ‘ECM’ in its big, bold natural acoustic sound, great piano etc, but something of everything from Massive Attack through to Mogwai in there too somehow from a composition perspective. He certainly works in a sense of loops and grooves even if everything is live and flowing.

I wanted to like this lot, but the rhythms are just too plodding. Also I found the robes and Zen shtick a bit ridiculous.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Saw them live a few years back at Kings Place, and thoroughly enjoyed them.
I'm tempted to get tickets for them at Turner Sims in November - only "problem" would be that would make it three gigs in three days (Nik Bartsch, Baxter Dury, GoGo Penguin)

Sly and Robbie were amazing at the Jazz Cafe last week...the amount of Bass Robbie can produce is astonishing. Bought the Vinyl LP and had it signed by Nils and Robbie after the show...no sign of Sly but understandable after the amount of effort he put into the performance I think he deserved a good lay down.

Enjoying this in the sunshine at the moment - there’s quite a bit of jazz in the mix - in a Sun Ra / Fela Kuti sort of way ( there’s a track called Land of Ra on it)

Picked this up, along with Sons Of Kemet, last week - both in the 2 for £15 offer at HMV.

I’ve been streaming this today

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/08/01/roots-reggae-nat-birchall-feature/?utm_source=notification

I’m a big fan of Nat Burchill’s playing and had read how he came to jazz through the horns on reggae records. An interesting article and a great sounding record which I think I’ll have to order.

I'm really impressed with Nat Birchall's Sounds Almighty LP. Sounds so authentic, like it was recorded by King Tubby in 1976 rather than Al Breadwinner in 2018.

Not new exactly - a few years old - but I've been listening to lot of Jeff Parker this summer. I got a nice copy of The Relatives on vinyl:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006B6AO8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Currently cheaper on vinyl than CD.

I've also downloaded a copy of Slight Freedom from Bandcamp ( only on vinyl otherwise at over £40)

https://eremiterecords.bandcamp.com/album/slight-freedom

A solo jazz guitar record that is, IMO, worth having for his interpretation of Frank Ocean's Super Rich Kids. The guitar is recorded at so quiet and introverted a level that is almost swallowed by the ambient traffic noise outside leaving hm sounding like the world's shyest busker. But it is quite lovely.

You can hear some of it here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/jeff-parker-slight-freedom/634862-01/

I want to hear more jazz artists covering Frank Ocean - I think his music is amongst the best being made at the current time with some amazing melodies just crying out for exploration. Has anyone else come across jazz versions of his tunes?

Here's a clip of him playing some Monk

Kevin

Good to find some like minded souls where new jazz is concerned.

Off to see what Kamaal Williams is up to now that Yussef Kamaal is no more at Village Underground (shit PA tho) on 22nd of next month.

Some individuals not already mentioned that I think are worthy of note: Zara Macfarlane, Nubya Garcia, Joe Armon Jones & Maxwell Owins, Chip Wickham, Vels Trio, Collocutor and Penya.

This thread is fascinating and has got me listening to Kamaal Williams and Yussef Kamall... now if I like this artists who else would you recommend I listen too?

advertisement

Back