advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

talking of which Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah's album The Emancipation Procastination is a bit uneven, but overall is winning me over. Here is the last track - the last 2-3 minutes trumpet especially is mind-blowing and if anyone knows where else I can get more like this, please tell!

If anyone was interested, hi res available at bandcamp. Just enjoyed the album again this afternoon.

Really enjoying this little lot at the moment:
Universal Beings (LP) - Makaya McCraven
There is a Place (LP) - Maisha
Camden Sessions (LP) - Butcher Brown
Amethyst (12") - Harvey Sutherland
Mosaic (12") - The Expansions

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I've lost count of the people who say "I hate jazz!"

Try listening, I say.

It doesn't help, I suppose, that most audio systems, at whatever end of the market, are optimised for rock or grime and not jazz.

At the moment I'm luvvin' Collective Order vol2. Great musicianship (there's quite a lot of them) and singing with a whole range of influences from Maldau, Winstone, Garbarek and so forth.

Excellent recording quality too.

A trio of current LPs I rate highly:
Smoke Signals - Kerbside Collective
My East Is Your West - Sarathy Korwar & Upaj Collective
Shiroi - Mansur Brown

I’m streaming the Makaya McCraven record at the moment. It’s a great example of the joy of end of year lists: records that you wouldn’t otherwise have come across that are better than most other things you’d bought that year. It is an really fine record and will be on order very soon.

Another one I've only picked up from end of year reviews - in this case Richard Williams in The Blue Moment -

Ambrose Akinmusire "Origami Harvest".

A modern fusion music - if you've not heard it before and play the first 5 minutes you'll be quite surprised where this one goes. Some gorgeous trumpet playing behind it all.

And, another type of fusion, this:

which was Jazzwise's best of 2018, has me slightly baffled ( but then Jazzwise choices often baffle me). I love Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell but together... not so sure - could become a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Kevin

Thanks for posting this. I picked up the Andrew Cyrille which I'm enjoying very much.

image.php

sonscover-1522436988-compressed.jpg

Listening to Sons of Kemet with Shabaka Hutchings and going to see him in another of his bands, The Comet is Coming, next month. Interesting stuff and will be good to see this combo of sax, drums and electronica/pyschedelic keyboards and programming.
Cool website graphics : http://www.thecometiscoming.co.uk/

I looked up Ashley Henry after enjoying his playing on the Makaya McCraven record.

This version of the Nas tune is pretty impressive. I'm definitely going to check out some more of his stuff.

Thanks for posting this. I picked up the Andrew Cyrille which I'm enjoying very much.

image.php

Just listening now and yes, its excellent.
In a similar vein you might try Quiver by Ron Miles, with "the guitar god that is" Bill Frisell, and Brian Blade on drums.

advertisement

Back